Sky HD Auto or 1080i

tudur_richards

Standard Member
What is the difference between setting the Sky HD picture resolution to Automatic or 1080i. Is it true that you only receive a true HD signal on the HD channels if the box is set on Automatic? Also can anyone suggest the best picture setting for my Sony 40" LCD 'V'. At the moment it’s set on Vivid.

mmace

you get an HD picture from the HD channels through HDMI if it's set to Auto, 1080i or 720p

if you have it set to 720p or 1080i then EVERY channel is outputted like that, if you set it to auto then the SD channels come through at 576, but, the main thing, if it's on auto then the 4:3 channels and programmes are shown correctly and aren't stretched, they are shown as they are meant to be seen, if you watch a 4:3 programme with it set to 1080i or 720p then the show will be stretched and looks awful

BossDrum

You may also get a delay in the picture when you switch between a HD and SD channel as the TV has to change its screen resolution.
My Sony X does this so I prefer to set it to 1080i and I don't tend to watch much 4:3 as most channels have turned to widescreen thankfully.

Mike Groves

Set to auto if you watch a lot of 4:3 channels, like Paramount Comedy, UK Gold, etc. And also, as stated above, if you don't want to have stretchy vision inflicted on you with the 4:3 channels. I'd venture to suggest that there are more of these than there are widescreen.

Camel_face69

Standard Member
What is the difference between setting the Sky HD picture resolution to Automatic or 1080i. Is it true that you only receive a true HD signal on the HD channels if the box is set on Automatic? Also can anyone suggest the best picture setting for my Sony 40" LCD 'V'. At the moment it’s set on Vivid.

Have a look at the first post in this thread,

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312863&page=212&highlight=sony+kdl32v2000

the settings work great for me.

Ruby

If you set your box to auto, does that mean that 4:3 images have box generated black bars on each side? I ask because I have a Pioneer 506XDE, which is well known for its image retention issues. I wouldn't want box generated black bars because of this. If there's a 4:3 programme that I really want to see in it's proper aspect ratio, I could always use the aspect adjustment function on the Pioneer.

Mike Groves

If you set your box to auto, does that mean that 4:3 images have box generated black bars on each side? I ask because I have a Pioneer 506XDE, which is well known for its image retention issues. I wouldn't want box generated black bars because of this. If there's a 4:3 programme that I really want to see in it's proper aspect ratio, I could always use the aspect adjustment function on the Pioneer.
I also have a 506XDE, connected via HDMI to the Sky box set on Auto, which shows the 4:3 bars in grey. To be honest, with most 4:3 programmes, I set the 506XDE also to zoom mode which fills the screen without any distortion - some picture cropping at the top & bottom is of course inevitable.

Ruby

I also have a 506XDE, connected via HDMI to the Sky box set on Auto, which shows the 4:3 bars in grey. To be honest, with most 4:3 programmes, I set the 506XDE also to zoom mode which fills the screen without any distortion - some picture cropping at the top & bottom is of course inevitable.

If the bars are grey, then I guess it must be the Pioneer generating them rather than the Sky HD box. If that's the case, the only difference between auto and 1080i (other than resolution for SD material) is that you have to manually change the aspect ratio for 4:3 material with the 1080i setting.

Dave P

If you have it set to auto and watch an SD image, is it 576p or 288i?

Also, is all current HD content broadcast at 1080i?

Cheers.

Tony Hoyle

576p. You can force the SkyHD box to output 288i (it's capable of it, just not enabled in software) by using a scaler.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
no no no 576i is the PAL output format some channels uses 288i (shopping channels etc) as well as mono sound to reduce the bandwidth required but the analogue video output of the box is 576i (which is what comes out of scart sockets) the scaling chip de-interlacer 576i to 576p as 576i isnt part of the HDMI1.1 minimum spec. If you wish you can force 576i if required usin an EDID setting spoof as the scaler will do a better job than the builtin Broadcom? Chip.

Dave P

no no no 576i is the PAL output format some channels uses 288i (shopping channels etc) as well as mono sound to reduce the bandwidth required but the analogue video output of the box is 576i (which is what comes out of scart sockets) the scaling chip de-interlacer 576i to 576p as 576i isnt part of the HDMI1.1 minimum spec. If you wish you can force 576i if required usin an EDID setting spoof as the scaler will do a better job than the builtin Broadcom? Chip.

My understanding was that up until recently all broadcats were 576i so you effectively got 288 lines (sorry didn't mean to put 288i in my last post).
So your saying that as a minimum HDMI only supports as low as 576p, which in theory (putting aside what people actually have experienced) that SD channels previously in 576i over scart are now 576p over HDMI. Theoretically that's better PQ, but as I 've said, people have different views on this.

Have I got that right?

AV Junky

Whether the picture looks better or worse when deinterlaced to 576p by the Sky HD box depends on how good a job the deinterlacer in the TV is.

There have been several threads with many members posting that they do not like the 576p generated by the box. Hence the VP users have spent time forcing 576i over the HDMI. There are also a number of us who have separately connected the box via scart for SD material (also helps with WAF, as auto source selection and aspect changing work over scart).

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
no 576i is not the same as 288p the HDMI spec which ou can read only includes 576p not 576i. so the broadcast is de-interlaced to 576p the broadcast is still 576i the de-interlacing doesnt add detail. 576i normal broadcast but for legacy compatibility 576i was built into HDMI. PAL DVD is (720x576i so whats looks better SD sky or DVD? They are the same resolution......)

Giblets2

Yeah but DVD has much greater MPEG bandwidth than any broadcast channel.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom