Sky hd audio out to Sony kdl40cx523 and htbe1

ARGTJTD

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just got sky hd in and have also bought a Sony kdl40cx523. I know I'm not using the optimum connection, but I have the box connected to the tv via hdmi and the my surround sound via the 2 phono out (more or less the way we connected the old sky box and old tv, although obviously it was scart instead of hdmi). When watching channel 4 hd yesterday I noticed I slight delay in the audio coming from the surround to what was on the tv. Is there any way to sort this without using the optical or coax out?

Check you do not have delay dialled in on the Sky menu.

ITV HD is notorious for poor audio sync, so it would not surprise me if the issue is not yours at all.

Unfortunately the sky box will only allow you alter the audio delays if you use digital I think so you are either stuck with the lip sync issues or get a cheap optical cable and connect up using that.

If I connect the hd box and ps3 with hdmi and use optical out on the tv will the 5.1 pass through as I only have one optical in on the amp?

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Stereo out on the sky box isn't a big issue as I have only ever used pro logic 2 when watching sky but I don't want to lose the surround from the ps3.

The tos link selector looks like a good idea and one I will definitely consider. Will the tv output the 5.1 sent from the ps3's hdmi?

Thanks for all the help by the way!

I have just checked my Samsung TV and it does not pass DD from the HDMI input to the optical output.

I have just checked my Samsung TV and it does not pass DD from the HDMI input to the optical output.

I dont think there are many TVs (if any) that do. I used an optical switch for ages with my old amp without any issues.

Was at work earlier so looking for ideas for when i got home! Ok - just to conclude, found that the tv works in a curious way. Tv is hooked to the amp through optical, ps3, dvd and sky through hdmi. With tv set to output to it's own speakers, sound comes out of tv and through amp in 2 channel. With tv set to output sound through external amp it passes the 5.1 signal from the DVD player and ps3 to the amp no trouble. Any idea why it sends sound to the amp even when it's set not to?

sorry for all the questions but it's confusing me a bit!

I haven't come across any TV that sends from any input better than stereo through its optical output.

I haven't come across any TV that sends from any input better than stereo through its optical output.

There's a growing number of sets that do pass through Dolby Digital via their optical connection, It's mainly sets that have Freeview HD tuners.

There's a growing number of sets that do pass through Dolby Digital via their optical connection, It's mainly sets that have Freeview HD tuners.

Not my Sammy.........

Nor mine, though I don't think the terrestrial HD channels often have anything better than stereo.
And of course it depends on what "Dolby Digital" means - it can be just stereo.

Last edited:
though I don't think the terrestrial HD channels often have anything better than stereo.

BBC HD is nearly always 5.1 and I actually found something yesterday on ITV HD that was in 5.1! (And yes, I am talking Freeview)

I got that wrong - on mine the HD channels show in the audio menu as HE-AAC 5.1 - what is that?:confused::)

Last edited:
Google? :smashin:

Could have - decided to pick your brain instead. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom