Sky HD audio issue - help wanted

Scapegoat

Thompson box, with new EPG.

Connected via HMDI and optical cable to a Denon 2807 AMP and then via HDMI to a Sony TV.

For some reason I have lost sound on HD channels, but not on normal ones. Also still get sound on the HD channels via RF connected TVs.

Help?

Currently in reboot process.

Scapegoat

Re-boot unsuccessful.

Whilst watching an SD channel I removed the optical cable from the back of the AMP and the sound stopped - so that confirms that the cable/AMP/Sky optical socket are fine.

Tried to watch a HD recording - no sound. Watch an SD recording - have sound.

Arrgh. Help?

a4lloxo

try connecting the sky box directly to the tv via HDMI and leave the optical going to your amp

derek500

For some reason I have lost sound on HD channels, but not on normal ones. Also still get sound on the HD channels via RF connected TVs.

Sounds like your amp isn't decoding the DD streams that all HD channels use. Do you get sound on SD channels that broadcast 24/7 in DD like Sky Movies or the Disney Channel (609)?

Scapegoat

try connecting the sky box directly to the tv via HDMI and leave the optical going to your amp

Thanks.

Tried that and that now gives me picture and sound from HD channels via the TV, but no sound via the AMP.

So that means I can now watch HD channels at least, but have lost the ability to have Dolby Digital.

So fault is with the Sky box not outputting sound via optical - but only on HD channels?

Scapegoat

Have just re-connected the HDMI to the AMP and then gone into the Sky settings and changed the optical output to normal.

And now I have sound.

Have tried other kit connected to the AMP:

Xbox 360 - connected via HMDI only and provides sound with a Dolby Digital display on the AMP.

DVD player - connected via component and coaxial. Play a DVD with a DD soundtrack and I get no sound. Select the input from Sky on the DVD (connected via SCART) and I get sound.

This seems to point the finger at the AMP not being able to process Dolby Digital inputs via coaxial / optical - rather than a Sky fault.

Will move to the Denon forum I think, unless anyone here has any great ideas?

Scapegoat

Sorted - AMP issue. And that was a 'fat finger' issue on the remote :oops:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom