sky HD at bristol show today

spoons1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,
The sound and vision show is on started today(fri 24th),in bristol,
can anyone thats been confirm with pics if poss,
that its on skys stand up and running....?
regards
spoons1.

spoons1 said:
Hello,
The sound and vision show is on started today(fri 24th),in bristol,
can anyone thats been confirm with pics if poss,
that its on skys stand up and running....?
regards
spoons1.
They're in the lobby.

If you want a laugh and fancy seeing the worst de-interlacing you're every likely to witness, go check it out!

ok thanks togad,
sounds poor then,many thanks anyway,
regards
spoons1.

Are they showing any demos of the HD channels? Any Sport demos? if so how good or bad are they.

I think I'm def going to give HD a miss. I read that the demos at the London Sound and vision show in Nov were poor.

If they are poor again at the Bristol Show then I cant see the point of Sky HD especially with the Poor line up of programmes that the EPG's are showing.

blakey1 said:
Are they showing any demos of the HD channels? Any Sport demos? if so how good or bad are they.

I think I'm def going to give HD a miss. I read that the demos at the London Sound and vision show in Nov were poor.

If they are poor again at the Bristol Show then I cant see the point of Sky HD especially with the Poor line up of programmes that the EPG's are showing.
Looked like a rolling demo to me. Not sure from what source. Football, film & logo.

Seriously - it looked so bad I couldn't watch it for more than a few seconds.

Hopefully that's not what their HD-STB are going to do to SD channels.

Please, please, please, please, please no forced upscaling of SD channels Mr Murdoch.

StooMonster

StooMonster said:
Hopefully that's not what their HD-STB are going to do to SD channels.
Please, please, please, please, please no forced upscaling of SD channels Mr Murdoch.

StooMonster

"If in Auto mode then a SD channel will be passed through in SD to the HDMI connection."

Sounds promising, full article on DS.

"some programming will be in HD and some will be up-converted SD"

what about this bit?

GrollySTI said:

what about this bit?
Isn't that talking about how the programming originates and is transmitted, rather than what the box does at the receiving end?

just came back from bristol show,main reason i went, was to have some sort of information regarding sky hd.
well what can i say.
firstly,they were trying to set up a hd picture through a clapped out computer,i said why aren't you using the sky box,which was to one side,he said that, that box was just a shell?
well they did manage to get a very poor picture through the computer.it was well pixeleted.***** in other words.
so i asked the guys,if they had any info on prices,launch date,subscription charges,they didnt have a bloody clue.
and they were so arrogant to say the least.
i dont know why they bothered turning up,what a shambles.
so i was well disappointed.
did anybody have any details of those pathetic sky reps.because i didn't.
:thumbsdow

GrollySTI said:

what about this bit?

Fully expected.
There is simply not enough HD native content to run a viable 24/7 entertainment/documentary or sports channel. There is enough content for a native HD movie channel or two assuming they stay with theatrical releases.

Look at SKY1's lineup, The Simpsons is only SD so SKY will be upconverting that to 720p or 1080i at source which will still give you a better picture that if the SD broadcast was upscaled by the STB, standalone scaler or the TV itself.

Why would Sky not have the the HD box working? Is it because it does not work or they dont have enough working ones?

Why are their PC feeds so poor? Do they feel people will happy with the quality their PC feeds they are producing? This the second or third show where people have been unimpressed with their HD demos.

What are they up to?

Yeah. I was watching them try and set up their Plasmas as well.

All the demos came off a PC and onto the panels at 720p. It looked like they were having problems with the ATI drivers running the Sony panels.

The demos (that I saw) consisted of the National Geographic/Discovery Channel clips currently on the web site together with a football clip and a Battlestar Galactica space battle.

They all looked bloody rubbish, especially compared to how the exact same clips look on my PC monitor and large LCD at home.The football clip looked especially naff with artifacts all over the place and poor de-interlacing very visible. The Battlestar Galatica clip wasn't really a good choice either, as the dark scenes didn't really work on plasmas placed right in front of the full height glass hotel frontage.

I hope they aren't planning this type of demo in stores. That's definately one way to dampen down demand!

BTW: The guy on the stall wouldn't give any more launch date info beyond "in 2006" but did say that there will an info update in about five weeks time.

Sky were pathetic! Poor picture,arrogant people unwilling to give out any information and probably didn't know any.When virtually every other exhibitor went to alot of trouble to show high quality video and audio , why do Sky even bother?

Overall though a good show with the highlight for me being the Meridian Stewart demo with a terrific HD clip of 'Top Gun' and even the company's founder , Bob Stewart,to introduce it.

What a contrast!

Alan

I spoke to the guys on the Sky stand.

Basically what they were demoing is a sampler of the type of content that Sky HD will broadcast - ie football and documentaries.

They claimed that what they were demoing was SD. It was not from any Sky HD box. I suspect that it was just poor quality upscaled SD via a PC.

They had a mockup of the Sky HD box. There were no connectors on the back. You get a better idea from their web site.

An announcement is expected in about 4 weeks. But this announcement may simply be an announcement about when the next announcement will be made.

As for the technology, they said that they have demo'd HD to the media who were suitably impressed. But what they demo'd is not they quality that they are going to transmit - this will be worse due to the 'transmission' process - no idea what this means, maybe something about how its going to be compressed.

They can't show samples as they cannot broadcast anything yet. But thats not a problem as they don't have anything to receive it with.

If anyone is intending to go to the show just to see Sky HD, don't waste your time or pennies.

If I was Sky I would pull out from the event now. Its not even good quality SD material let alone good quality HD material. I am sure they have lost more potential sales than they have made.

Starburst said:

"If in Auto mode then a SD channel will be passed through in SD to the HDMI connection."
"And there will be no 576p mode."

Thank goodness for that!

Just my opinion, Nick

Have to agree with the comments about SKY @ Bristol today....

I spent nearly 30 mins with the SKY guy on the stand and it was like pulling teeth....No comitments to
DATES
PRICES
AVAILABILITY...

all the had was a pre registration form to fill in........Wow what good is that...?

Given that HD is the next best thing....their presentation was *****, they were not convincing enough an kept blurting out the same responses "parrot" fashion...

"It will be sometime in 2006"..............:mad:

Overall though I thought the show was pretty good....very busy for a Friday too.

Well looks like what I thought buy a scaler and save your money ,if they cannot be bothered to set up the display properly what it going to be like when theyve got your money ,just like when you are on sky + , so much trouble will stick with tried and trusted ye old sky box ,oh yes and vhs video

I'm currently watching sky for free in my hotel room for the first time in about 2 years, I'm so glad that I don't pay for it..The standard services are redicously expensive considering that that you seem to be paying to wahtch adverts the whole time..Especicually considering the quality & quanitity of stuff that is avaiable on Freeview these days..I'm off to the Bristol show tommorow (hence the hotel room, I live miles away) and looking forward to completely ignoring Murdoch's evil Hordes/Henchmen.. :D

Evil Engineer said:
The guy on the stall wouldn't give any more launch date info beyond "in 2006" but did say that there will an info update in about five weeks time.

Whats that? 5 weeks?....April Fools day? :rolleyes:

ianh64 said:
An announcement is expected in about 4 weeks. But this announcement may simply be an announcement about when the next announcement will be made.
I am expecting this announcement to be the one about launch date.

I think pricing may follow in another announcement.

StooMonster

some programming will be in HD and some will be up-converted SD

My scaler has been doing this for the last 4 years to my Barco 808s I will not be buying it then if that is the case. I am not paying a monthly fee for upscaled SD when I can get it for free now. How much HD will there be 1 hour a day 2 hours?

And as for the Sky installer looking to make sure that my system can take HD, well that is a laugh I have more knowledge of satellite and HD in my little finger then the one brain cell sky installers. I would rather get one from ebay then let one of them lame brains near my system. :suicide:

Yeah i was disappointed and all. Most of the toerags working there are of the arrogant pesuasion:thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom