Sky HD Arrives Tomorrow

LukeHughes

Standard Member
My Sky HD is due to be installed tomorrow, already had the call from the engineer; he will arrives between 10am-2pm.

My question is this... Does anyone have any initial advice re settings?? I.e. Anytime on or off, output settings, or any little tweaks to get the best out of the box.

I have a Toshiba 32WLT68, that's 100hz and will accept 1080p input (it downscales).

I would welcome any thoughts.

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
My Sky HD is due to be installed tomorrow, already had the call from the engineer; he will arrives between 10am-2pm.

My question is this... Does anyone have any initial advice re settings?? I.e. Anytime on or off, output settings, or any little tweaks to get the best out of the box.

I have a Toshiba 32WLT68, that's 100hz and will accept 1080p input (it downscales).

I would welcome any thoughts.

Anytime 'on'
Auto Standby 'on'
Set the resolution output to '1080i'

and enjoy!!

N

NEIL J JONES

The anytime setting depends on if you want your box to make a racket all times day and night and if you have the movie channel subscription. If you like noise and have the movies package then it may be worth keeping it on otherwise your find that your end up turning it off.

There is a anytime bug (not everyone gets this bug) where if you have anytime content and the auto standby is off it can freeze the box up first thing in the morning. So if you are using anytime best to keep auto stand by set to on. Not sure if this bug has been fixed now as Sky were on the case.

remlap

Novice Member

Anytime On
Resolution Auto or 1080i depends if your set can recognise the aspect ratio change between channels, if it can not doubt stick to Auto

The anytime setting depends on if you want your box to make a racket all times day and night.

Don't be put off by this, I've never had any problems with noise of leaving it on Anytime, maybe your box isn't getting enough air to cool?

I honestly thought Anytime would be a useless idea but its turning out to be fantastic.

Bachstrad

Don't be put off by this, I've never had any problems with noise of leaving it on Anytime, maybe your box isn't getting enough air to cool?

I honestly thought Anytime would be a useless idea but its turning out to be fantastic.

Yeah, definitely a :thumbsup: from me too!

Not everyone is in the 'doom & gloom' club.

ATB

Max

N

NEIL J JONES

Anyone who thinks their box is silent while downloading anytime is telling porkies. The racket may not affect you but it seems to affect one hell of a lot of other people.

The truth is when it downloads from anytime it makes more noise then at any other time.

Lukehughes... You make your own mind up, try it and see, thats the only way.

remlap

Novice Member
Anyone who thinks their box is silent while downloading anytime is telling porkies. The racket may not affect you but it seems to affect one hell of a lot of other people.

The truth is when it downloads from anytime it makes more noise then at any other time.

Lukehughes... You make your own mind up, try it and see, thats the only way.

Once again your taking exactly what you said and turning it into something completely different.

The anytime setting depends on if you want your box to make a racket all times day and night.

Unless Anytime has become a 24 hours a day service and I just havent noticed and or read about it :D

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
The Anytime service is worth every penny ..... :thumbsup:

I don't agree that it makes a racket and is only suitable for those with a movie channel subscription. Make your own mind up. As far as I can tell, the box updates new content overnight and therefore I can not hear the noise (if any) as I am asleep :smashin:

Still, is any device "silent" whilst running? I can hear my PC now, the DVD player makes noise, so does the oven and microwave ..... :D There are shades of grey you know and the term 'racket' is an exaggeration.

Enjoy your HD box ...... and avoid the worry merchants!!

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member

Weird coincidence that - my computer makes more noise than at any other time when it downloads content, strange eh? Must be something to do with hard drives or something ......

LukeHughes

Standard Member
:thumbsup: Thanks for the advice, not long now until we are up and running, i will report back if i suffer any of the aformentioned bugs / noise etc.;)

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
:thumbsup: Thanks for the advice, not long now until we are up and running, i will report back if i suffer any of the aformentioned bugs / noise etc.;)

enjoy! i have the Tosh WLT66 - take some time to make sure the settings are right to get the best from your set and HD viewing - I remember I had to tweak mine a few times to get the best from it. Good luck - one of the best HD programmes to show off with is PLANET EARTH and especially today's episode at 4pm (I think) called 'rivers' - amazing - put it in the planner as soon as you can!! Check out Angel Falls and the Grand Canyon :eek: :eek: :smashin:

PS on BBCHD (145) by the way!

N

NEIL J JONES

the box updates new content overnight and therefore I can not hear the noise (if any) as I am asleep :smashin:

Well unless your a hamster and sleep in the day then I dont know how you can say that.

The downloads start around 6.00am and then go onto to around 9-10am. The box often then downloads more in the afternoon and sometimes evening.

remlap

Novice Member
Well unless your a hamster and sleep in the day then I dont know how you can say that.

The downloads start around 6.00am and then go onto to around 9-10am. The box often then downloads more in the afternoon and sometimes evening.

No it does not, it uses spare bandwidth from shut-down transponders during the night until they reopen in the day.

N

NEIL J JONES

No it does not, it uses spare bandwidth from shut-down transponders during the night until they reopen in the day.

Well maybe Sky have developed a very special download just for you.

Many people here have commented on the start time of the download and when it ends as well as odd downloads anytime of the day.

My mate switched it off due to this reason and gave Sky anytime department a right mouthful about it. Sky agreed that the downloads at present could happen anytime of the day or night but in time it will go back to a set overnight pattern (what year that is will be anyones guess).

If yours downloads just overnight then your a very lucky boy.

staxdoobie

Neil J, you do seem to have a bee in your bonnet about this Anytime thing! Not having a go, but every time I come to these forums I find myself running into posts in which you express your dissatisfaction with some aspect or other of it! In fact, I'm sure you've said on numerous occasions that you've actually turned it off. Can that not be an end to the matter?? Why don't you just switch off your television set and go out and do something less boring instead? :D

N

NEIL J JONES

Neil J, you do seem to have a bee in your bonnet about this Anytime thing! Not having a go, but every time I come to these forums I find myself running into posts in which you express your dissatisfaction with some aspect or other of it!

This forum is to express both sides of a disscusion and not just for people like you that are keen to suck up to everything that Sky do.

While people praise anytime others are entitled to slag it off, which me and many others choose to do. If the service ever becomes good then I would be be the first to praise it. I always give credit where credits due but equally I always critise something that I dont think is good.

My post above is to correct the post above that which has incorrect information.

And if you dont like my posts, its tough, dont read them and dont respond to them.

staxdoobie

This forum is to express both sides of a disscusion and not just for people like you that are keen to suck up to everything that Sky do.

While people praise anytime others are entitled to slag it off, which me and many others choose to do. If the service ever becomes good then I would be be the first to praise it. I always give credit where credits due but equally I always critise something that I dont think is good.

My post above is to correct the post above that which has incorrect information.

And if you dont like my posts, its tough, dont read them and dont respond to them.

Blimey, you're a bit weird. I was actually being jocular, wasn't having a go at all! The last sentence of my original post is a quote from the theme tune to Why Don't You, for heaven's sake! How easily some people take offence! "People like you that are keen to suck up to everything that Sky do." Ha ha ha! How well you know me.

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
Your post sure did not read as being jocular at all, but it was stupid.

It did read as being jocular as the smiley and the quote from the kids TV show indicated. The comments about you were correct and the above comment from you is unwarranted. As you always say, this is a public forum where people agree and disagree - calling people stupid is not on.

staxdoobie

Yes, I can't refute the stupid claim, I am fairly dim. But it certainly wasn't my intention to inflame you. Forum posts can often lack the subtlety of the spoken word. Especially when they contain obscure references to naff 70s/80s kids' programmes.

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
Yes, I can't refute the stupid claim, I am fairly dim. But it certainly wasn't my intention to inflame you. Forum posts can often lack the subtlety of the spoken word. Especially when they contain obscure references to naff 70s/80s kids' programmes.

great response Stax taken in good heart - well done.

N

NEIL J JONES

But it certainly wasn't my intention to inflame you. Forum posts can often lack the subtlety of the spoken word.

Well double check what your writing before posting, a smillie does not mean its a joke, smillies are often used to add flames to the fire. If I had written that post about you I am sure you would have reacted in the same manner.

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
Where did I call anyone stupid, I said the post was stupid not the person.

:rotfl: you are really good!

Well double check what your writing before posting, a smillie does not mean its a joke, smillies are often used to add flames to the fire. If I had written that post about you I am sure you would have reacted in the same manner.

smiley "used to add flames to the fire" - brilliant, I'm sure it says that in the dictionary!!

staxdoobie

Hang on a minute, what's going on here?? This bloke could start an argument in a Trappist monastery! I wasn't having a go, but apologised anyway, as I appeared to have caused offence, but STILL you're not happy. I'm outta here!

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Campfire Audio launches new Satsuma and Honeydew earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Prime Day 2021: 21st-22nd June
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim debuts Solstice turntable in special edition package
  • By Andy Bassett