SKY/HD- Anyone know how Improve your reception?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by KevRuss, Sep 17, 2007.

1. KevRuss

KevRuss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Except from raising my house up above the ozone layer:D

The reason I ask is that I have a lot blurring/smudging around images on close up shots during cricket, football and all over the place on GP. Hardly ever noticed it otherwise but I wondered if I improve my PQ input it would improve my output.
    Forgive me for my poor description here but......in terms of reception/PQ I am currently getting around 70% on the top bar/gauge and 50% for the bottom bar/gauge for input 1. Then 60% for the top bar/gauge and 50% for the bottom bar/gauge on input 2.

Are these good enough?:lease:

2. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    The Sky system is digital therefore so long as the signal strength is sufficent to allow the box to receive the signal there is no quality gain by having a stronger signal other than making it more resiliant to bad weather. The signal and quality levels you quote are quite normal.

The effects you are describe sound like compression artifacts on SD stations i.e they are present in the signal as transmitted. If by GP you mean Formula One on ITV then do a search for posts about ITV's lousy quality transmissions as I find their channels are amongst the worse.

HD channels however should be free of the vast majority of these effects if not your TV may not be working as well as it should. If you are watching on a LCD TV you may be seeing the less than perfect way some of those displays handle moving images.

3. KevRuss

KevRuss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks,:(

forgot to say it was a brand new panny LCD lxd700.

:cool:

4. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Then its worth asking on the LCD forum to see if changing picture settings might improve things -TVs are shipped with apalling settings by default. Certainly I find turning off nearly all of the processing on my Sony helped loads.

5. ralphmalph

ralphmalph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I bought a couple of satellite signal boosters from Maplins, I think they are 11 quid each. I now get 100% 90% 100% 90%, having previously got 50% 30% 40% 20% on my signal.

Will it solve your problem I do not know unless you try it. but it certainly means that when it rains I do not lose the picture.

6. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I got my LNB replaced under warranty today and my signal strengh on all bars has gone up quite alot. Like someone else has said having a higher signal strength will probably only help you in bad weather. But you might want to get it checked out your LNB could be faulty like mine ?