Sky HD and Upscaling Equipment

KenjohnB

Novice Member
Hi!

Can any of you Technophiles out there help me on this one, please?

Recently bought a Bose Lifestyle 35 system together with their VS-2 Video Enhancer, which allows upscaling of DVDs on its DVD player. The enhancer definitely works because, without it, DVDs are much poorer PQ.

My question is that, if I put my Sky HD box through the VS-2, will it degrade/weaken/reduce the PQ I see on my TV when watching Sky? I ask because I was always led to believe that the more pieces of equipment you put an Audio or Visual signal through, the more the signal was degraded.

I don't need to put Sky through the VS-2, but if I don't I lose a lot of the features of the Bose.

Anyone any ideas, please?

Many thanks.

Ken

honkydonky

Novice Member
The DVD's look better because they are upscaled from standard resolution to HD to fit the screen better.
SKY HD is already output at 720p or1080i so there is no need to upscale it, already output is as good as it will get
You may notice a difference if the leads were different quality I suppose
Can you put the picture to the TV and route the sound through the bose via a digital interconnect?

Starburst

Novice Member
As Pauleo says the DVD would look better since it sounds like the VS2 has a better scaling/de-interlacing chipset than the TV has which is not uncommon since a lot of corning cutting is done in that department by TV manufacturers.

As for SKY HD well it may be that sending the HDMI output to the VS2 could scale the SD channels better then the SKY+HD or TV does, only one way to tell but if you can make sure the VS2 output is matching the TV's resolution, that removes one conversion process which is it's the final step can destory any good work done earlier in the chain.

KenjohnB

Novice Member
The DVD's look better because they are upscaled from standard resolution to HD to fit the screen better.
SKY HD is already output at 720p or1080i so there is no need to upscale it, already output is as good as it will get
You may notice a difference if the leads were different quality I suppose
Can you put the picture to the TV and route the sound through the bose via a digital interconnect?
Thanks for that, Pauleo.

Yes I can just put the Sky audio straight to the Bose, bypassing the Upscaler. The only problem is that then, I cannot get on-screen menus from the Bose (so I can't access things like the System menu which allows you to change a significant number of things).

I was just wondering if, theoretically, the upscaler would downgrade the PQ. I know that these thing are often subjective and I'm probably a bit picky and looking for things to go wrong. But, I did think that the Sky PQ was a little worse via the upscaler, but when I change things around to test the other way (bypassing the Upscaler) - which takes about 5 mins - its hard to remember what the previous PQ was like and, therefore, make a judgement. I will hold my hands up and say that if there is any difference its minimal, but having paid out a lot of hard-earned for all this kit, I would like the best possible sound and vision.

Best wishes.

Ken

KenjohnB

Novice Member
As Pauleo says the DVD would look better since it sounds like the VS2 has a better scaling/de-interlacing chipset than the TV has which is not uncommon since a lot of corning cutting is done in that department by TV manufacturers.

As for SKY HD well it may be that sending the HDMI output to the VS2 could scale the SD channels better then the SKY+HD or TV does, only one way to tell but if you can make sure the VS2 output is matching the TV's resolution, that removes one conversion process which is it's the final step can destory any good work done earlier in the chain.
Thanks, Starburst.

The upscaler can go up to 1080p and, apparently, sets itself to whatever the Sky HD box is set at (I think!).

Best wishes.

Ken

KenjohnB

Novice Member
Please forgive my lack of understanding, but am I right in saying that, if:

1. I connect a HDMI cable between my Sky HD box and my TV (HDMI slot 1)
- thus by-passing the VS-2 Video Enhancer

2. Connect a digital optical audio cable between my Sky HD box and my Bose Lifestyle 35 - also by-passing the VS-2 Video Enhancer

3. Connect a 2nd HDMI cable between the Bose VS-2 Video Enhancer and my TV (HDMI slot 2) - for DVD playback

that the Bose (Lifestyle 35 or VS-2 Vidoe Enhancer) will have absolutely no effect whatsoever on the PQ of the picture I receive from my Sky HD box?

Many thanks.

Ken

Starburst

Novice Member
that the Bose (Lifestyle 35 or VS-2 Vidoe Enhancer) will have absolutely no effect whatsoever on the PQ of the picture I receive from my Sky HD box?

Many thanks.

Ken

Yes that's right.
The HD display will then be playing the major part in how SKY HD/SD and upscaled SD will look. The displays native resolution, scaling and de-interlacing capabilities will then work together and the results will be good, bad or no different:)

You could of course run component to the VS2 and compare more or less in realtime how it's inclusion effects the SD channels on SKY.

KenjohnB

Novice Member
Yes that's right.
The HD display will then be playing the major part in how SKY HD/SD and upscaled SD will look. The displays native resolution, scaling and de-interlacing capabilities will then work together and the results will be good, bad or no different:)

You could of course run component to the VS2 and compare more or less in realtime how it's inclusion effects the SD channels on SKY.
Many thanks, Starburst. You've been really helpful. I'll try component cables and see if that makes any difference.

Ken

KenjohnB

Novice Member
Hi folks.

Sorry to raise this thread again, but I have another query if anyone can help, please.

My Sky HD (which upscales) is connected via HDMI to my Bose VS-2 (which upscales) which is in turn connected via HDMI to my TV (which upscales).

I'll bet you clever guys can see my question coming - yes, you've got it. Which one is doing the upscaling?

Many thanks.

Ken

Starburst

Novice Member
My Sky HD (which upscales) is connected via HDMI to my Bose VS-2 (which upscales) which is in turn connected via HDMI to my TV (which upscales).

I'll bet you clever guys can see my question coming - yes, you've got it. Which one is doing the upscaling?

Too many variables:)

What is the SKY+HD HDMI output set at?
What is the VS-2 output set at?
What signal on the HDMI input will the TV accept and what is it's native resolution?

Once we know that they you can see what the SKY+HD does with a SD channel and if the VS-2 needs to do anything and if not what the TV finally does.

KenjohnB

Novice Member
Too many variables:)

What is the SKY+HD HDMI output set at?
What is the VS-2 output set at?
What signal on the HDMI input will the TV accept and what is it's native resolution?

Once we know that they you can see what the SKY+HD does with a SD channel and if the VS-2 needs to do anything and if not what the TV finally does.
Hi Starburst!

Sky set at 1080i
VS-2 set at 1080i
TV will accept 1080i (sorry, don't understand native resolution).

Many thanks.

Ken

Silver Serpent

Hi folks.

Sorry to raise this thread again, but I have another query if anyone can help, please.

Many thanks.

Ken
What I'd try there is setting the Sky HD Box to Auto and Set the Bose to 1080p.

The bose should then be doing the upscaling I'd imagine, and I'd think should give a better picture (I'd gamble the scaling is better on the Bose) than letting the HD box solely do it via a direct feed to the TV.

Starburst

Novice Member
Hi Starburst!

Sky set at 1080i
VS-2 set at 1080i
TV will accept 1080i (sorry, don't understand native resolution).

Many thanks.

Ken

Okay, the SKY+HD is scaling the SD channel to 1080i and the VS-2 is passing it through untouched to the TV. The TV then take the 1080i and processors it depending upon it's native resolution (1024*1024, 1280*720, 1366*768 or 1920*1080).

It's that final stage which is unknown since you really should find out what the resolution of the TV is which can be different from what the TV will accept from an external source, my 1366*768 LCD accepts 1080i for example but doesn't accept 1080p and scales down to it's native resolution.

KenjohnB

Novice Member
Okay, the SKY+HD is scaling the SD channel to 1080i and the VS-2 is passing it through untouched to the TV. The TV then take the 1080i and processors it depending upon it's native resolution (1024*1024, 1280*720, 1366*768 or 1920*1080).

It's that final stage which is unknown since you really should find out what the resolution of the TV is which can be different from what the TV will accept from an external source, my 1366*768 LCD accepts 1080i for example but doesn't accept 1080p and scales down to it's native resolution.
Thanks Starburst.

By native resolution, do you mean "Visible Screen Size (No. of Pixels)". If so, according to my TV's handbook, its 1024 (W) x 720 (H).

Many thanks.

Ken

Starburst

Novice Member
By native resolution, do you mean "Visible Screen Size (No. of Pixels)". If so, according to my TV's handbook, its 1024 (W) x 720 (H).

Yep, that is the native resolution of the screen.
The 1080i signal it receives is scaled by the TV down to 1024*720 resolution ( I assume it's a plasma?). Now given that the internal scaling of the TV may not be top of the line you'll want to see if the VS-2 can scale the SKY output (576p in AUTO mode) upto 1024*720 which the TV will then pixel match 1:1 and see how it compares.

KenjohnB

Novice Member
Yep, that is the native resolution of the screen.
The 1080i signal it receives is scaled by the TV down to 1024*720 resolution ( I assume it's a plasma?). Now given that the internal scaling of the TV may not be top of the line you'll want to see if the VS-2 can scale the SKY output (576p in AUTO mode) upto 1024*720 which the TV will then pixel match 1:1 and see how it compares.
Thanks yet again, Starburst.

Ken

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom