SKY+HD and TVLink

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by echoUK, Feb 7, 2009.

1. echoUK

echoUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hey guys,

Basically, I'm thinking about taking up this Sky+HD offer on Monday, but before I do I thought I'd ask a couple of questions:

1. At the moment I just have normal Sky TV; we have a Sky box downstairs in the living room and there is one of those TVLinks plugged into the back which goes to my room via coax so I can watch Sky in my room. Can you still use this with a Sky+HD box? If/when I order it, the main box will be downstairs and I'd like to use my TVLink so that I can continue to watch Sky in my room (although I know it won't be in HD in my room).

2. This may be a bit of a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway - if you can use the TVLink, then does the SkyHD control work with the TVLink? For example: will I be able to use it in my room, so that I can record a programme, etc. Or would it only work on the actual SkyHD box downstairs?

Thanks to anybody who can offer advice.

2. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I assume that your TV link is a magic eye, that's connected to the back of your bedroom TV? If so, it'll work fine, same as if you were using the remote in front of the box.

When the HD box is installed, get the installer to enable the magic eye in the setup menu. You can do it yourself, using a "hidden" menu, if you forget to ask him.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  3. RodOfGod76

RodOfGod76
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are these tv links any good these days?? I remember getting one when they first came out years ago. But you couldn't get the link to change channels no matter what you did. :confused: And the tv link settings had been enabled in the installer menu. So it became a case of the son having to ask someone downstairs to switch channels for him.

We're getting HD installed on the 13th of February. The existing Sky+ box is going into the son's bedroom, but I was thinking of running a tv link between his room and our bedroom once our new tv arrives.

4. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Mine worked fine when I had it feeding the TV in the kitchen and study.
    Now I just use it to control the Sky HD box, because I haven't got good line-of-sight from the remote control to the box.

Most magic eye problems are caused by faulty coax connections or incompatible RF booster amplifiers. Cable problems are normally badly fitted plugs - you get a good TV picture, but the 9v supply from the Sky box to the magic eye gets interrupted.

Use a decent quality coax cable, with properly fitted plugs, and it'll work fine.

5. echoUK

echoUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Thanks for the replies guys. It is one of those magic eyes, yeah. I think I'll order SkyHD on Monday then and ask the guy to enable the magic eye thing on the Sky Box when he installs the new one.

Thanks everyone.

6. andyr1

andyr1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @clockworks (or anyone else in the know)....Ok, so how do you access the hidden menu please?

7. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    "services" "4" "0" "1" "select"

8. 6022tivo

6022tivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Only thing you have to think about is your standard Sky remote will not control the HD box.

So for the bedroom, you will have to get either another HD or a Sky+ remote.
    My installer game me a nice new Sky+ remote, batteries and a couple of F-Plugs for a donation of £10 to his beer fund.

And my Sky Eye works great from the HD box to the bedroom...

My next project is to use the RF cable for the remote sky eye, and get a wireless HDMI transmitter receiver for a nice plasma in the bedroom.. Expensive tho.

9. andyr1

andyr1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @clockworks again (or anyone) .... I tried this on my Sky+ HD Remote but the "0" key does not move the menu on from the System page....any idea what I'm doing wrong?

10. newboy2008

newboy2008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    try again,
    press services
    press 4
    press 0
    press 1
    press select

dont bother looking at the screen untill you pressed in that order.Then you will get the installers menu.

11. andyr1

andyr1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    doh!...thanks newboy ..I'm in!

12. AJSG

AJSG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I don't know what protocol they would use, but it would need to be a pretty powerful transmitter...I would be sure of having something like that in my home...also I didn't think it could work without some substancial compression?!?

13. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    You have this the wrong way around. The Sky HD remote will not operate the standard Sky+ box. The Standard Sky+ remote controls the Sky HD box without any problems.

14. 6022tivo

6022tivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    No, I said the standard Sky remote will not control the HD box.. That is correct, I know a standard Sky+ remote will control a HD box???

It is late, I am starting to confuse myself.. lol