Sky HD and Tivo

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by shuggyscotland, Mar 27, 2006.

1. shuggyscotland

shuggyscotland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,
    Quick question, I've always been a bit smug about my 5 year old TIVO thinking of myself as been above all those Sky + users ;) . However I realised that Sky HD will require the new box with all the sky + features etc. I was planning to use that box to record the odd HD programme and keep using my TIVO for SD stuff. Trouble is I read this in the T&Cs on the sky website

"Sky+ subscription required to use the personal video recorder features of the sky HD box"

So does that mean that to record anything at all even like an old VCR or pause live TV etc, I'm going to have to get Sky+ too? Seems crazy to switch off all these features when they are built into the box!

For me that means an extra £20/month in subs to get HD, I'll still probably do it if I have to but it’s a big wad of cash. Must be plenty of others out there with generic PVRs in the same situation.

Before anyone bashes I'm totally of the attitude if you want it, buy it. If you don't or can't afford it then shut up and don't buy it. I'm not slagging Sky, I'm actually more wondering if any of you guys think I'll be able to do any recording at all on the box without a Sky+ sub. If not then surely that box with all that hard drive etc built into it is just ripe for some "nefarious so and so" to chip it.

2. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I have the same issue... Two options that I can see:
    1. Get SkyHD but no Sky+ sub and keep it as a slave to the Tivo. Advantage is it's the same as I do things now.. disadvantage is I'd almost never actually see any HD because I never watch live TV if I can help it (adverts, ugh.)
    2. Kill Tivo, use saved £10 to pay for Sky+. Means I get an HD recorder and get the benefit of improved sound quality, picture etc. Disadvantage.. Sky+ is no Tivo... it remains to be seen if I would even find it usable as a PVR given its limitations & what I've been used to.

I'm thinking option 2 at the moment, although I might just try Sky+ for a month to see if it's as bad as some say it is.. if so it's back to option 1.

See http://www.garysargent.co.uk/tivo/TIVOvsSKY.htm for a comparison - some things, like the amount of guide data available, and the limited availability of series links, look like showstoppers but it remains to be seen how much that affects the service.

3. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Sky+ is free if you have sports or movies.

I'm going to keep TiVo on my original Sky box on multiroom, and use SkyHD just for HD.

But I'm only doing that so a friend in the US can continue to watch the rugby I've recorded and is prepared to stomp up for the multiroom so I can record it for him!

4. PhlangePhace

PhlangePhace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    My TiVo is already relegated to manual recording (without the £10pm or lifetime sub) as I wasn't using it as much as I did before Sky+ came along.

So my TiVo will be a 'backup' storage device connected to my old (existing) Sky+ box being used as a Freesat box once SkyHD is installed at my gaff.

I never got round to 'upgrading' my TiVo or Sky+ so my TiVo currently used as an overflow of Sky+ recordings I haven't had chance to watch yet.

5. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I will be keeping all my TiVos as I cant live without their unique features.

Sky HD will only be used for 24, Stargate, Sports and movies, and the odd HD documentary,

Everything else will go on to my 2TB TiVo farm, with some Freeview stuff handled by a 2TB Windows MCE with xbox360 extenders..

6. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Much as I like my Tivo it is 5 years old and I will be retiring it and using the £10 sub to fund HD, sell the Tivo on ebay and (partially) fund the Sky HD box, no extra monthly outgoings as Sky+ in inc in my package and straight transfer fof Tivo subs to HD sub.

Any ideas how much a converted Tivo should go for?

Steve