Sky HD and Sky plus - boxes adjacent, bith controlled by same remote

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by charlie44, Aug 16, 2006.

1. charlie44

charlie44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Sky HD went in last night. Guy looked at my setup and looked really confused - and that's just by sky+ and multiroom, plus an amp and dvd player! Anyway, we got it working evenutually. Two things.
    1. didn't realise I would need another cable from dish to ensure I can use sky + AND sky HD. With hindsight it's obvious but I didn't think. And I have JUST layed a new floor, with ALL the cables underneath it. So now I have to run one around the room......pah
    2. My 2 sky boxes are next to each other. But that means the remotes control both boxes at the same time. Very annoying. I am about to install an IR repeater so that the equipment can all sit in a closed cabinet - anyone got any suggestions how to overcome this problem first?
    Thanks

2. dar2005

dar2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Re 2:,...welcome to the "Sky+ and SkyHD in the same room" club:(

As you point out, the Sky+ remote will control both boxes, whilst the SkyHD remote only controls the SkyHD box,...weird.

The solution I'm looking at now is replacing my Harmony 885 with a Harmony 895 that has the added RF functionality... my equipment is already inside furniture.

I will use a magic-eye to control the SkyHD box using IR and use the RF functionality to control the Sky+ box.

My TV, DVD and Amp are all Pioneer and controlled via the IR sensor on the plasma.

3. kevmarshall

kevmarshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    My install is 1st Sept and I realised I would have that problem. I was going to use Sky+ for Freesat.

In the end I decided I will sell my Sky+ and get a Sony Freeview box instead.

I think you could get over your problem by buying a Harmony remote.

All you need to do is set one activity as say "Watch TV" , and another for "Watch Sky+"

Just include your skyHD box in the first activity and your sky+Box in the other. I don't see why that wouldn't work but I'm sure someone will correct me if not..................

(posted before I saw above reply)

4. charlie44

charlie44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another thought.......Hd and + both go into a splitter, so that I have both boxes available in Living room, kitchen and 2 bedrooms. Presumably that means that using the sky + remote upstairs will also control HD?

5. dar2005

dar2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Yes, that's exactly what it means:mad:

I'm planning on getting a second Harmony 895 for use in the other lounge (will use the remote-eye for SkyHD, and RF for Sky+,...the range is said to be 30metres).

6. charlie44

charlie44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For now, i think I will use the ir repeaters on HD, AMP and DVD, but not on the Plus box, and I will remove the RF2 connection from HD to splitter. Which will mean only HD box available in living rom, and sky + through the rest of the house. (I think). Might try and get my head round the harmony thing as well......

7. iaincsb

iaincsb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Charlie44
    I have both boxes one above the other.
    You will need this device:
    http://www.skyeye.force9.co.uk/skyeye8.htm

1.It Plugs into RF2 on my SKY+ box.
    2. Using the supplied instructions, covert your existing SKY+ remote to use the codes of a standard SKY box remote.
    (Instructions are on the skyeye site but are included with the product)
    3. Once the remote is paired with the skyeye it will controll the SKY+ box without touching the HD box.

I use a Harmony 885 remote but I have managed to duplicate this on a One for ALL 6 remote.

Using the instructions provided I am able to control both boxes without affecting the other.

I hope this helps a bit

Iain

8. charlie44

charlie44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Iain,
    Thanks, this looks cool. If I am using an IR sensor with repeaters for the rest of the equipment, all inside a cabinet, presumably I just don't attach a repeater to the sky+ box, but put this on instead and then just have both sensors outside the cabinet? But how would this work with the magic eyes that I have on the othet TVs around the house?

9. dar2005

dar2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Charlie,

Word of caution on the sky-eye. I bought one and couldn't get it to work, thought it was a bit heath-robinson really, but of course others may have been more successful.

Also, the one I got doesn't allow the power to pass through which means you can't change channels via the TV upstairs.