sky HD and phone lines

gpa

Ex Member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone out there can help? Having had sky for years i have alway bought box's outside of sky, i have never needed to connect phone line and have never had sky chasing me.

Hhowever, i have been talking to them regarding HD and although initially told I could pay a one off fee of £25.00, when put through to the HD dep they were having non of it. Is there anyone out there that is currently using SKY HD and managed to get this one off payment, no line installed?

A "friend" ;) ;) of mine simply ran a plug-in phone extension cable to where the Sky HD box was to be located. This enabled the engineer to install and set up the box, and once he was gone, the cable was put back in the cupboard.

loz said:
A "friend" ;) ;) of mine simply ran a plug-in phone extension cable to where the Sky HD box was to be located. This enabled the engineer to install and set up the box, and once he was gone, the cable was put back in the cupboard.

That old trick, but and its a big but will sky come after him, i am being very specific here as to what i need to know, as i am not going to invest in HD unless i have a guarantee that it can be negotiated officially:smashin:

Yes many people have reported being hounded by sky about phone cable being plugged back in.
Especially the multiroom , who have been threatened to be charged the full fee if they did not plug it back in.

You can simply lightly tack it to the skirting board so it looks "permanent".

Though this is the 2nd box my "friend" has had connected using this approach, and even though the extension lead was just loose on the floor the installer never questioned it. My "friend" just said he would make it more permanent after the installer had gone. I don't think they really care, unless they are a jobsworth, they just need the phone line to get the install done as it uses the phone to match up the card and box (or something...)

I think they only bother with multiroom.. makes no sense for them to chase people with single boxes, since (a) the detection costs money, and (b) threatening your customers isn't good business.

For multiroom it's different as you have the £10 mirror sub that would be abused if it wasn't checked.

hottstuff said:
Yes many people have reported being hounded by sky about phone cable being plugged back in.
Especially the multiroom , who have been threatened to be charged the full fee if they did not plug it back in.

Yes, to multiroom.

No, to standalone boxes.

For multiroom there is no way of getting out of the phone thing
For a single box it is not a problem. The installers "have" to let the box phone home as part of the install (or say they do). If you were chased you could just buy a wireless phone extender (eg maplin sell a oneforall gizmo).

gpa said:
That old trick, but and its a big but will sky come after him, i am being very specific here as to what i need to know, as i am not going to invest in HD unless i have a guarantee that it can be negotiated officially:smashin:

Well no, this mechanism cannot guarantee Sky won't come after him. But they never have before.

loz said:
Yes, to multiroom.

No, to standalone boxes.

Interesting, I only have one box and do not require muti, I took this take with them, however allthough they stated it was an option with the old system , they were adament that HD service has to have a phone conection? hence I am trying to find someone who has been through this process and have got agreement from sky to pay their £25.00 for no conection one box solution.

You are supposed to connect the phone line for the first year - that's in the contract.. so it's no good asking sky if you can unplug it :)

However they don't monitor it if you don't have multiroom, so you're *extremely* unlikely to be bothered if you unplug it (and if a letter does come... simply plug it in again).

AFAIK there's no such thing as the £25 no connection solution. Sky customer services making things up as they go along again..

gpa said:

Out of interest, why are you so adamantly against a phone line (however temporary) being connected to your sky box?

James

James Day said:
Out of interest, why are you so adamantly against a phone line (however temporary) being connected to your sky box?

James

several reasons,

Phone is on the other side of the house( looking at around £200.00 to have it routed properly

My whole av system is hidden cables in walls and under wooden floor, so extention lead would look pap and kids would probably trip over it anyway

do not want phantom calls

do not want to use any of sky's additional services

do not want sky snooping on my viewing habbits(to big brother)

Here you go:

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page22.htm

They are available all over the place (I think Maplin does on too). When they say "does not work with broadband" - it means it cannot be used with broadband. It can be used to extend an analogue connection from the phone point on the micro-filter.

Blue.Rocket said:
Can some one tell me what the phone line into the Sky Box is used for ?

cheers
PPV, interactive services etc. Sky may use it for marketing purposes, ie, check your viewing habits possibly. When used in a multiroom scenario Sky need to make sure that all boxes are used within the same, subscription holders address.

In my new house we were going to have one 'phone point (j the hall - ground floor) and several extra wireless 'phones.

My Sky HD installer tells me that these 'phones won't be good enough for my extra Sky boxes.

Is this true, or rubbish?

Can anyone tell me of a wireless 'phone system which they know I can definitely use?

Cheers.

Steve W

Pecker said:
In my new house we were going to have one 'phone point (j the hall - ground floor) and several extra wireless 'phones.

My Sky HD installer tells me that these 'phones won't be good enough for my extra Sky boxes.

Is this true, or rubbish?

Can anyone tell me of a wireless 'phone system which they know I can definitely use?

Cheers.

Steve W

How is broadband getting into your house then ? - or rather how is it getting to the pc/hub/switch.?

Hey gpa, I've had Sky (not multi room) since it started, Sky+ and now HD and I've never had it plugged into the phone line, Sky have never queried it either.
Have an extension socket ready when they install and then disconnect and forget for ever. Don't worry so much!:)

There is nothing in my contract with SKY or in the T's&C's that specify that I MUST leave it connected to a phone-line.

So why would they chase me?

It is however written in to the contract if you take out a "multi-room" subscription.

It uses the telephone CLID number to confirm that the two boxes are in the same house-hold. Otherwise, what would stop you from taking out a multi-room subscription for £10, and give the box to a friend?

But, as discussed earlier in this thread, it is NOT a requirement for a single "one-box" contract.

I have multi-room and the phone line is a real pain but seems like every time I unplug it Sky send me a letter.I understand why they do it but surely they could find a way round it.:mad:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom