Sky HD and new v current cust costs

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by andrewf, Aug 19, 2005.

1. andrewf

andrewf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi all

Getting Sky+ this weekend thanks to the £49 offer, however was wondering what people think about what Sky might charge new and existing customers when Sky HD comes around.

I'm sure they might want to push it as the next big thing, but I'm sure that was the case for Sky+ and if the past is to go by, new customers will get a great deal and existing customers will get charged more, just like they first did with Sky+ (why I've never had before).

Though I know it isn't a cert, I had thought about cancelling Sky nearer the time and getting someone else in the house to sign up for Sky HD as a newbie. Dont really see how this could be a problem (especially if they are a tenant)!?

Any thoughts??

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    My personal guess would be around £400 for the box and then perhaps £10-20 per month. Of course I could be completely wrong but it's a good bet it'll start high and then gradually come down in the same way as it did for Sky+

John

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

They may come a time when the SKY+ HD is the only premium product with the standard SKY+ becoming the baseline product however I doubt even SKY have a timetable for that and it would be a long term process thanks to a finite number of installers.

HD will be a niche product for many years mainly down to the added expense of a HD display and the limited content in the early years which is one reason why they don't have to worry about subsidising the costs at launch.

SKY+ was sold both from SKY and via retailers at the same price (give or take a pound), there were no benefits in being an existing subscriber. That is no longer the case now but now the potential market is big enough for the boys/girls in the SKY marketing department to come up with incentives for new customers by reducing costs safe in the knowledge that a brand new subscriber will bring in enough money to cover the subsidy.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sky have already sussed that anyone who can afford a HD panel has either a healthy bank account or an understanding bank manager. Anyone who presumes that Sky's HD service is going to be less than £400 for the box and less than £15 a month extra is going to be disappointed IMHO. HD is going to be a rich man's toy for a while yet.