Sky HD and composite video?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by formidablelady, Dec 28, 2006.

1. formidablelady

formidablelady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Just got SkyHD and have a Sagem TV. Only seem able to connect through composite video. Could anyone tell me if this this still a HD picture?

2. waterhousej

waterhousej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No, only the component and HDMI outputs are in HD.

Jamie

3. kevmarshall

kevmarshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Not meaning to be rude but, "are you avin a laff".........."she's avin a laff"

If not, I apologise.:oops:

I can only assume you have installed the HD box yourself as any engineer would have connected with either the HDMI lead that comes with the box - or component video. These are (basicaly) the only two ways to get an HD picture to an HD ready screen.

Composite is the most basic video connection and will not give anything like HD.

4. bobbaray

bobbaray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    'Component'! you can only use component to watch the Non Sky HD channels! For example: BBC HD, Discovery HD etc... SKY Sports and Movies require an HDMI connection to handle the encryption. Am I correct in saying this?

5. kenshewry

kenshewry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    bobbaray - in a word, no!

Component is my connection of choice giving crisp, vibrant, colourful pictures whether SD or HD and from all channels.

Only advantage to HDMI is that it carries sound, however only in stereo (for now) therefore of no use to me as Dolby Digital is the only way to do justice to those HD pictures.

Bless you all, I remember when I first started down the AV route, it will draw you in lads and you'll never escape once you start using that 'search' button!

Best regards

Ken

6. bobbaray

bobbaray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Kenshewy,

I have tried every single setup combination using my Arcam AVR 350 as the switch to my Infocus IN76 - If i try to connect through componemt (Chord co) all I get is a black screen... Even if you take out the switching from the 350 and go direct ...... still no joy

7. kevmarshall

kevmarshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Component Rules OK!
    :smashin:

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

I can't see any reason why the AVR taking HDMI or Component isn't capable of supplying the IN76 with a useable feed again either as HDMI or Component.
    The AVR would not be able to take HDMI from SKY HD and supply component to the projector due to the use of HDCP but as long as you use both types of connection to and from it should be fine.

When you try the component option from the SKY HD box make sure you remove the HDMI lead, it could make a difference and you should have no issues at all feeding the IN76 direct from the HD box via either method.

9. kenshewry

kenshewry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bobbaray,

Hi there, Starburst might have it spot on there (he's normally right) you need the same input from sky to amp as from amp to PJ. Mine is component in to amp then out to PJ with no issues.

Other than that a couple of thoughts, how long is your HDMI lead from amp to PJ, over 5M needs to be VERY good quality otherwise signal doesn't get through, also first time I hooked up my 10M component cable I got a black screen. Swapped the cables round and, voila, picture appeared. Didn't think the cables were directional but something wasn't right the first time!

Actually re-reading your post you've tried a straight link to your PJ from HD box and it didn't work. I know nothing about your PJ, but on mine you need to set the input to component. Give that a try and swap the leads around.

For your info my PJ is 720P but the 1080i setting on the SKY box gives the best pics, the planner is so crystal clear it brings tears to my eyes (almost).

Best of luck, interested to know how you get on.

Ken

10. bobbaray

bobbaray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for you help guys, I've got the picture working now finally, I had to just setup the AVR 350 as It was set on HDMI

Component now being used and I'm very happy with the results. Next problem I face is my Arcam Dv137 cannot upcale to 720p with component only via HDMI - Again I ask for advice on this matter.

Once again I'd like to thank you all for help.:thumbsup:

B