Sky HD and broadband

quietlife

Just had HD installed, went on the internet and found my connection was totally unusable it was so slow. Unplugged the telephone line from the box and it immediately went back to normal.

Should it do that? Seems odd that the HD has an impact on my broadband.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Does the HD box telephone line connection go via a micro filter?

quietlife

Just put an ADSL filter on and it's working fine now. As the Sky + didn't have one, I didn't know the HD box would need one. The Sky installer certainly never mentioned it.

logiciel

So am I. :thumbsup:

quietlife: the HD receiver does NOT need the telephone connection, unless you have multiroom, or unless you want to pay more to Sky for playing their silly games and for watching "box-office" things.

quietlife

Nope. Got Lovefilm for my films and don't do any 'extras'. I've just unplugged it just to feel like I've got one over Sky. :D

logiciel

Well done - good feeling isn't it? :clap:

pdoherty76

Nope. Got Lovefilm for my films and don't do any 'extras'. I've just unplugged it just to feel like I've got one over Sky. :D

It isn't wise to unplug it in your first year of contract. They probably won't do anything but they can start to send you nasty letters saying that you must plug it in or be in breach of contract.

logiciel

You know how much I dislike disagreeing with you, but you won't find an AVF post saying they've done that.

chris1976

You know how much I dislike disagreeing with you, but you won't find an AVF post saying they've done that.

well,they charged me the extra for 3 months before i realised what they were doing:mad:but i must admit they warned me via letter so twas my own fault:rolleyes:

logiciel

What extra?
That should happen only with a multiroom installation.

Clabs

It isn't wise to unplug it in your first year of contract. They probably won't do anything but they can start to send you nasty letters saying that you must plug it in or be in breach of contract.

What evidence do you have to substantiate this??

pdoherty76

What evidence do you have to substantiate this??

Sorry, for a second there I thought I was in a sky HD internet forum. I now realise I have stumbled into the dock at the old bailey.

What evidence do I have to substantiate what? It is a clause in your contract with sky that you must keep the phone line in for the first 12 months. As I said, they will probably do nothing, but there are posts on other forums where people have said they have received letters from sky telling them to plug the line in.

M'lud, I would like to enter example exhibit A into the court record:

i was contacted by letter telling me i had to have the phone line connected i tied to explain that i had moved rooms in the house so i couldnt connect it to my box, they wernt having any of it. They do a call back everymonth to your box and if they dont get the signal then they assume your box is elsewhere even though it isnt. I have finally managed to get my box connected to the phne line downstairs but it was a load of hassle.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=29880196&postcount=10

This guy is clearly not talking about multiroom.

Last edited:

quietlife

I logged into my Sky account for the first time ever and found that my Broadband usage had increased alarmingly. I'm on the light user allowance (2gb) and saw that it had been up to 8gb for the last couple of months. The network is secure and only used for an hour or two browsing a day. No downloading of films or music.

I've no idea why, but I'm wondering if Sky have strangled my connection as it's now so slow it's almost not useable.

Slider09

I did away with all my micro-filters and installed an ADSL filtered master socket. Can't remember the exact figure but my broadband speed increased by around 1.5 - 2mb.

logiciel

It progressed off the topic and it's not going any further in that direction.
Keep on topic, HD and broadband, not just broadband which has its own forum, from here on.
Logiciel.

Last edited:

quietlife

What a welcoming forum!!

God forbid a thread should progress and offer further advice and information. It's like being at junior school.

The subject is has HD affected my broadband. It's slower now even with a filter. I'm still looking for advice, but I'll refrain from asking anything further in case I get detention.

logiciel

What a welcoming forum!!
The subject is has HD affected my broadband.
Correct, and if posts are on that topic they're very welcome.
That's in your favour - what's your problem with it?

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Just put an ADSL filter on and it's working fine now. As the Sky + didn't have one, I didn't know the HD box would need one. The Sky installer certainly never mentioned it.

So it is now a broadband problem, not a HD one.

yesteryeargames

So am I. :thumbsup:

quietlife: the HD receiver does NOT need the telephone connection, unless you have multiroom, or unless you want to pay more to Sky for playing their silly games and for watching "box-office" things.

Hi im compltly new to sky and i dont have a telephone near me in my bedroom and no way of installing one here

i want to get sky HD is this still possible ?

logiciel

Hi - what has this question to do with the topic of the thread?
The answer is that you can have it but will have to tell them about the lack of a telephone connection.

pdoherty76

Hi - what has this question to do with the topic of the thread?
The answer is that you can have it but will have to tell them about the lack of a telephone connection.

I think you also have to pay them £25 for the privilege of not having a phone.

logiciel

Correct.
In practice people would tell the installer they've fixed to have a phone extension and he'd accept that.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022