Sky HD + Amstrad DRX890 RF2 problem?

KickAssMoves

Standard Member
Reaction score
For nearly a year I have had a magic eye working fine with a TV upstairs via our HD box.

About 3 months ago we wanted it in the kitchen too, so I bought a Global F120 box, cabled up into the kitchen and it was great.

Roll on to a month ago and were watching sky and the magic eye wont work, red light is on (works in the kitchen but not upstairs). I mess about for ages, recable a section that links upstairs and is working again.

Unfortunately now its got yet another fault, as you are watching TV after a short time the sound goes off and "fuzzes" and the picture quality drops a large amount. Turn off the sky via the remote and back on usually it works again, for a short time before it goes off again.
The same happens upstairs and in the kitchen.
Since then I have tried everything I can think of, including removing the f120 and running the cable direct, but it still happens.

Is the RF2 socket shot? I have got a spare HD box but
1)its obviously not paired
2) got a fair bit setup to record and recorded.

any ideas?

Tried it from RF1 Out, temporarily abandoning RC of course?

Your Sky box is duff. (The RF Out modulator is failing - going off-tune/overheating? Have you changed the equipment/cabinet around your Sky box?)

What Sky box is it? How long have you had it? There are suspiciously large number of RF output failures recently...........

Last edited:
Mmmmm good thinking, can always control it via my NExus for a night as a tester anyway.

Good thinking, ill try that tonight.

Tried that last night, with a powered F120 and it worked fine for an hour, then it started again :rolleyes:
Your Sky box is duff. (The RF Out modulator is failing - going off-tune/overheating? Have you changed the equipment/cabinet around your Sky box?)

What Sky box is it? How long have you had it? There are suspiciously large number of RF output failures recently...........

As said below, its the Amstrad DRX890, I havent touched the sky box etc recently

I have a sneaking suspicion it might be an Amstrad DRX890. ;)

Humour me, OP. Try tapping it. Any effect on the RF output? If "yes", it's probably just a bad solder joint.

Tapping what exactly?

How would solder make any difference when it "crashes" and then works fine on turning off and back on the sky box?

As said below, its the Amstrad DRX890, I havent touched the sky box etc recently

Tapping what exactly?

How would solder make any difference when it "crashes" and then works fine on turning off and back on the sky box?

I find it odd that, when I try to help by asking for the results of a simple test, people have ask "why?"
Why not just tap the gaddam DRX890 and, if that has no effect, say so? :cool:
That way I don't have to waste time typing an explanation that could be irrelevant and that you probably wouldn't understand anyway (judging from the fact that you had to ask "why?")

I find it odd that, when I try to help by asking for the results of a simple test, people have ask "why?"
Why not just tap the gaddam DRX890 and, if that has no effect, say so? :cool:
That way I don't have to waste time typing an explanation that could be irrelevant and that you probably wouldn't understand anyway (judging from the fact that you had to ask "why?")

I didnt mean it to offend, you just said tap it, but I didnt know whether you meant the box or the RF outputs etc

Just so you know I have tapped the box and nothing happened, I have used RF1 and RF2 and error happens on both outputs

A loose solder joint could give inconsistent effects. It looks like the RF modulator on your machine has developed a more substantial fault which Sky will fix for you, probably by replacing the machine.

A loose solder joint could give inconsistent effects. It looks like the RF modulator on your machine has developed a more substantial fault which Sky will fix for you, probably by replacing the machine.

Thats what I feared, thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom