SKY HD - 4th Faulty box

wednesday83

I got Sky HD back in October 2007. The first box was skipping when fast forwarding when we first got it but we stuck with it and it went faulty last month good and propper - always turning itself off and going into standby for no reason at random intervals. Sky sent an engineer out and replaced it with a Reconditioned box.

After a few days the 2nd box was faulty as recordings were failing for no reason and picture freezing all the time with sound. This got replaced with another reconditioned box which was yet again faulty.

The 3rd box is what we have now and its yet again faulty. We cant always access the planner and recordings are faling all the time staing "failed".

ive spoken to sky and kicked off but all they are willing to do is replace it with a reondioned box. Theyve told me to write in if I have a complaint.

All I want is a brand new box that works. I hate Thomson boxes as every thomson box we have had seems faulty.

Anyone any ideas what to do. Even the engineer last week admited they just take faulty boxes from one house to another. Surely they cannott keep sending out reconditioned faulty boxes??

andy1249

Distinguished Member
The 3rd box is what we have now and its yet again faulty. We cant always access the planner and recordings are faling all the time staing "failed".
The Sky HD boxes have a known issue , at least to " Satcure" anyway , with the power supplies , they have weak capacitors which leak and cause the issue you see above.
When you get a reconditioned box from sky , chances are it still has the same dodgy power supplies with the same dodgy capacitors, if you want a working box , you will need a properly fixed power supply , Satcure do those , if your box is still under warranty , why not contact sky , point them to this site and see if they will do anything about it , otherwise I suggest you get a replacement PSU and fit it , it will fix the problem above , Ive done it myself and the box has worked like a charm since.

http://bytelive.com/files/Replacing SkyHD PSU.pdf

http://www.satcure.com/accs/page12.htm#hd

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom