• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky HD 2nd Tuner issue

Ripstop

Standard Member
I am the owner of a Thompson HD box and as everyone should know by now these will have or have had the PSU issue. I had started to see the results of failing caps a while ago but as it wasn't terrible I just lived with it. Finally had to do the PSU upgrade and used one of the Satcure kits and a nice man did the necessary.

Thought at this stage we were all done and that was that. Box worked great for a while but I noticed that I still had some problems, essentially I still had an occasionally sluggish *new* EPG (I am convinced its some sort of programme memory leak). Secondly and getting worse.. a second tuner with no signal. Its always the second tuner NEVER the first that loses signal.

The second signal issue normally manifests itself as missing mini TV or unable to see certain channels or in fact "No satellite signal received" problem. As always a power reboot solves the problem. Except for last night I could see both the mini TV and BBC HD with no signal showing on the EPG signal screen for input 2.

I am going to swap the inputs tonight to see if its the LNB/cable. If that shows same issue then its the tuner. After that I am not sure what to do. Any comments before I start opening the box up to look for further signs of failing components?

Cheers
Rip.

Last edited:

lotsatoys

I have a theory and its probably flawed but here goes :D
Are you still using the 300g Maxtor?
This drive seems to use loads of current,the sticker on it claims (1500ma). 1.5 amps is much more than the latest WD ce drives are specced at,which are a popular upgraders choice,and seem to work problem-free in most cases.
The point of all this preamble is I reckon the Maxtor is placing a high demand on the psu and it is running out of steam.IMO.
The problem for you of course is you won't know unless you spend some money, and as its my theory you probably won't want to........:)

Ripstop

Standard Member
As I am into computers for a hobby and a living its not beyond the imagination that I *might* be wanting to go this route. I already bought several of the WD Green drives for an HP Homeserver I have.

Its worth a shot as I know the WD drives run very cool with lower power consumption. Its also possible that when the demands of the system increase you could get power drops without knowing it. I know the PSU is good now as I saw the lovely new Caps that went onto the board :)

Let me chew on that one. Txs

Cheers
Rip

lotsatoys

I fitted my psu with the mk2 cap kit and mounted a WD 640G drive externally in a esata enclosure after copy+ preparation, and it hasn't missed a beat since the mod was done (in May I think).

Sky box and HDD run much cooler as a result. Prior to that, the box was so flaky,much as you originally described,with loss of signal and the many failed recordings due to only one tuner being active,and often needed a re-boot several times a week. :)

Ripstop

Standard Member
Now thats an idea....I have a few disks lying around. After switching the cable inputs around the signal is ok but much reduced on the 2nd tuner, I would almost say its worse.

So its definately a 2nd tuner problem, either voltage or beginning to fail. has anyone replaced one before or are we in elastoplast territory?

Cheers
Rip.

Ripstop

Standard Member
Well the cable swap didn't fix it and I am still getting no signal on the 2nd tuner after a period of time. I am now in "Possible Firmware" issue territory or faulty 2nd tuner. I now know that the cables and LNB's are good on both cables but somehow the signal isn't registering properly on the 2nd tuner.

More gnashing of teeth and postulating.....Need to try some more tricks to ensure that it really is the box. I am going to have to enlist the help of a friend to see if its the same issue at their location.

The saga continues.......

Rip.

Ripstop

Standard Member
Txs Kev.....I have been reading alot of these...Looks like 3yrs or so is about peak failure time for these box's. I have already got the updated Satcure PSU and so it looks like an HDD upgrade as well for me to reduce the loading as much as poss. I have all the symptoms described by many but have the updated PSU.

Shame...but I reckon that after an HDD update we should have a good chance of curing the probs.

Cheers
Rip

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom