Sky HD £164 Delivered

Nellybee

Standard Member
Reaction score
Got this from another forum
Its from a company called Midsat

http://www.midsat.co.uk/specialoffers.html

Been waiting for the price of SKY HD to drop then you may want to give Midsat a call 01455 250548.

Price for the box delivered is £164 subject to HD subscription being taken and telephone connection being made and kept perminantly (Sky's terms and conditions). We have a read out from sky and if the HD subscription is not made with-in 10 days of purchase your credit card will be billed an extra £150 to the full price of the box. Please delay making your purchase if you do not intend to activate your HD account with-in this time. Unfortunately as an official Sky retailer we have to adhere to Sky's rules regarding this.

This said, if you are already a Sky+ subscriber, installation is a simple straight swap and all installation instructions are included within the box. Any other questions regarding installation etc can be handled either via e-mail or by calling the number above.

The box is a brand new item and includes all accessories, remote, power lead, scart, HDMI cable, telephone lead, RF cable and instructions.

The box comes with a 1 year return to us guarantee. Any boxes returned that are found to be faulty will be postage paid back to you by us

Yeah, the midsat deal has been mentioned numerous times on here, it's a good deal though.

:thumbsup:

Its £149 but please note that you have to pay the £60 installation to get it at that price. If you already have a Sky Plus setup, then the installation is pointless.

Have a look on amazon (www.amazon.co.uk) for these boxes, prices are always dropping!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
What if you already have SkyHD and want another skyhd box to replace a std sky box in another room. I assume you have to take out another HD subscription to get the reduced price even if you only want to use it as a glorified sky+ box with HDMI/Comonent outputs and view the BBCHD channel?

No, you can use a Sky HD digibox without a subscription to that facility but you must make them aware of this at the time. You are only tied into a 12 month contract to HD if you choose to have it. Would definatly suggest confirming with Sky first though, rules are slightly different on multiroom.

Its £149 but please note that you have to pay the £60 installation to get it at that price. If you already have a Sky Plus setup, then the installation is pointless.

Have a look on amazon (www.amazon.co.uk) for these boxes, prices are always dropping!

Not true from Midsat.

I was exisiting Sky+ subscriber. Bought box for £164 delviered, did a DIY install and now have HD up and running :D

Installation is ONLY required if you don't currently have Sky+ functionality - as HD box is Sky+ as well and needs 2 feeds.

That looks like my post on MoneySavingExpert.... do i get Royalties?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian-d View Post

Not true from Midsat.

I was exisiting Sky+ subscriber. Bought box for £164 delviered, did a DIY install and now have HD up and running

Installation is ONLY required if you don't currently have Sky+ functionality - as HD box is Sky+ as well and needs 2 feeds.

And yes that is correct, midsat don't seem to update their website much. That post is a copy of the email i recived from Midsat. I ordered it yesterday. hoping to see it when i get home!!

No, you can use a Sky HD digibox without a subscription to that facility but you must make them aware of this at the time. You are only tied into a 12 month contract to HD if you choose to have it. Would definatly suggest confirming with Sky first though, rules are slightly different on multiroom.

As per another thread on this issue (the second £10 HD sub one)...does this mean that you can buy this Sky HD box to replace a multiroom Sky + box, self install, not pay the second £10 HD sub that Sky very unfairly charge on top of the £10 multiroom fee we already pay, and pay no extra?

If you can apparently swap your main HD box card to and fro to use in the multiroom HD box and see the non premium HD channels (ie all except Movies and Sport) it becomes an even better deal.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

Indeed and I would really like to know the answer as currently I have a SkyHD box in my main living room and a std sky box in another room. I was tempted to buy a 2nd hand PVR3 box for around £60 as I would pay no more per month to get this paired up and then effectively have a 2nd Sky+ box to record all the SD stuff on.

If a 2nd SkyHD box can be bought for £164 that extra £100'ish gives me potential to

- record SD (using existing multiroom sky card paired up to it),
- Ability to watch HD non premium on it if I plug in the HD card from the main SkyHD box
- gives me a larger drive
- better outputs (HDMI/Component)

All with no extra monthly charge.

I have three HD boxes, 2 from sky and one from midsat, all were straight swaps for existing sky plus boxes, I only pay one HD charge and two multiroom chrges. Obviously I only get sky HD on one box but otherwise all boxes are fully functional.

rentagas,
based on posts above though, if you took the card out the skyhd box and put it into one of the other HD boxes you would at least get the other HD channels (less movies and sports) so you could at least temporarily get it in one of your other rooms should you wish to view it. I.e. in my case my 2nd room also has a HD screen and we never watch HD in two different rooms at once so moving the one card with HD enabled on it between two SkyHD boxes wouldn't be an issue to me.

I ordered one from Midsat this morning, the guy on the phone was very helpful.It sounds like this Midsat deal might end at the end of the month and go back up to £299 so get moving if you're thinking of getting one.

Does anyone who has received a Midsat box know who the courier is they use, I forgot to ask this morning and nobody will be home tomorrow so I'd like to know which courier will be holding the package tomorrow night.cheers

It sounds like this Midsat deal might end at the end of the month and go back up to £299 so get moving if you're thinking of getting one.

If thats what they told you its just a sales pitch, there is no chance they will raise them back to that figure. Baring in mind that their current price isn't running them at a loss anyway! Raising back up would be suicide!

it might have been city link but i couldnt say for sure.

I did the easy self install from Midsat and it worked a treat....the only slow bit was the first Sky operator.

I have a question...that may sound naive..but hear me out.

If I have a standard Sky + subscription, could I buy the HD box (from midsat £164) and swap the boxes over? Could I then use the original box somewhere else in the house (not as Sky multi room, just as another feed of the same channel)? I dont want to pay for a Sky HD subscription, I would just like to get the FTA HD channels like BBC HD....so would I be correct in saying there will be no extra charges?

Many thanks

I have a question...that may sound naive..but hear me out.

If I have a standard Sky + subscription, could I buy the HD box (from midsat £164) and swap the boxes over? Could I then use the original box somewhere else in the house (not as Sky multi room, just as another feed of the same channel)? I dont want to pay for a Sky HD subscription, I would just like to get the FTA HD channels like BBC HD....so would I be correct in saying there will be no extra charges?

Many thanks

You can do what you indicate, but not by purchasing the box from midsat. To clarify the boxes bought from midsat at the price you mention require you to take out the hd sub within 10 days (i believe) otherwise they charge your credit card an additional £150. this is based upon the fact the boxes are subsidised at the quoted price.

You could do what you mention, if you purchased the box from somewhere that does not have this stipulation in the terms, an example would be one of the e-bay sellers.

Guys correct me if i am wrong

You can do what you indicate, but not by purchasing the box from midsat. To clarify the boxes bought from midsat at the price you mention require you to take out the hd sub within 10 days (i believe) otherwise they charge your credit card an additional £150. this is based upon the fact the boxes are subsidised at the quoted price.

You could do what you mention, if you purchased the box from somewhere that does not have this stipulation in the terms, an example would be one of the e-bay sellers.

Guys correct me if i am wrong

You're correct. I bought mine from Midsat, and it clearly says the box is subsidised, and would be an extra £150 if I didn't follow it up with the Sky HD sub.

To be honest, if you don't want the Sky HD sub, why get SkyHD? The BBC trial could possibly end next month, and if you want more space - spend £30 on a big disk, and upgrade it yourself (instructions on this site somewhere).

You could sell off the Sky+ box though and recoup some of the cost. Then it comes down to how much someone feels the net difference in price is to get larger drive, bbchd (albeit for possibly just a month :)), better outputs and upscaling.

That's a personal thing I guess :)

Thanks for that!

Yeah the main reason is for the better connections, bbc HD and just to test satellite HD quality in general before commiting to a year of expensive Sky HD.

Seems a bit rich though, if midsat only require a HD subscription to subsidise the cost, why do Sky still charge £299 for it, when they will also get the subscription!!

I like your sell the Sky plus box idea, would certainly make upgrading to the HD box more affordable.

Thanks for that!

Yeah the main reason is for the better connections, bbc HD and just to test satellite HD quality in general before commiting to a year of expensive Sky HD.

Seems a bit rich though, if midsat only require a HD subscription to subsidise the cost, why do Sky still charge £299 for it, when they will also get the subscription!!

I like your sell the Sky plus box idea, would certainly make upgrading to the HD box more affordable.

there is a perfectly logical answer to that question but i fear it may be classed as libel!

To be fair when i was talking to the guy at sky (the one who knew what he was doing) he asked me what i paid for the box, i told him and he seemed genunienly suprised at what i had paid for it!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom