1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ Hard Drive Size

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by moz414, Apr 26, 2004.

1. moz414

moz414

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Can anyone tell me what the latest hard drive size is and if there are plans to update it? I'm sure I've read somewhere that the drive is going to be bigger so I don't want to buy one now and then a bigger drive come out in a couple of weeks time. Cheers.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    40Gb....if you do a search either here or on some of the Sky related forums,you'll find several accounts of how to upgrade to 120Gb discs without problems.

3. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    There's lots of stuff on upgrades as alexs2 says, but just to let you know it's easy if you're inclined to do it. As he rightly states to a 120gig drive. For some reason thats as big as it accepts. I've heard nothing about bigger (than 40gig) drives as standard. Fitting a larger drive buggers up Skys % counter, but other than that it's all positive as far as my experience goes.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As Stowitbelow says,I've also seen no accounts of anything bigger than 120Gb working,and lots of advice as to which drives are most reliable(Maxtor and Samsung seem to come out well).

When I've finished all my other chores,that'll be the next bit of AV DIY.

5. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The 120 GB is a limit of the bios. The actual limit is 137 GB, same for some versions of Windows I think for the same reason

6. chilpillphil3

chilpillphil3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well all windows acept XP SP1,

There is also the 17 minut bug which means you cannot select a point after 17 minutes, or FFoward at 30x past this point

Plus upgraded boxes mean alot of recording fail, im going to leave it at 40gig for now.

7. hemp3

hemp3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  8. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I just want to say I disagree with Chillpillphil3. As far as I'm aware the 17 min bug occurs on standard Sky+ & the failed recordings just as much. I have had odd recordings fail (two in 4 months), more before than after the upgrade. It's just not true alot fail. Sky+ seems a bit 'buggy' but the upgrade certainly hasn't made it worse.(better I believe) One of the other threads about instant rewind talks of 'cooking' the HDD in +. My old drive on removal was too hot to touch. The replacement only runs warm. So far the only downside has been buying the HDD & the % counter.

9. chilpillphil3

chilpillphil3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sorry if this is the case

I have an unmodified V2 box for 10 months now qith no problema, im looking to upgrade soon.