Sky+ hard drive corruptions - worth fixing?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by rberman, Jun 12, 2005.

1. rberman

rberman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    My Sky+ box is now over a year old and out of warranty. For most of the first year it worked fine, but then I got a hard drive corruption meaning that some recordings would freeze on playback.

Following advice obtained from this Forum I have been able to cure this by reformatting the hard disk. However, the problem has now re-occurred twice within a few weeks - each time when I have had a bank of recordings stored that I wanted to archive.

I am now wondering whether it is possible or sensible to try to get my Sky+ fixed to stop this problem from re-ocurring on a regular basis. Should I get (or do I need to get) Sky themselves to fix it, or would I be better tracking down a local repairer?

Or would it be just as simple to replace the hard drive myself? (I'm quite familair with installing/replacing drives on PCs so imagine it won't be too tricky for me to do.)

What I'm after is the solution that will give me the most reliability in future. Any advice?

Rodney Berman

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If you are familiar with PC hardware, you should be able to change the drive yourself. If your Sky+ box is a Pace V2 (silver front, card slot bottom left behind a flap), you will need a Torx security driver to open it. Amstrad boxes don't need a Torx bit, but they're more fussy about which drives will work. There is a thread in this forum discussing suitable drives for the different boxes.

See the Hummer website for general instructions.