Sky & hard disk recording

Alphatoner

Ex Member
Reaction score
Probably non existant, but i'm looking for a stand sky box (not sky+).

2 reasons for not wanting sky+

1. it costs £10 per month (tell me if I'm wrong)
2. I don't want the cost/hassle of changing my LNB

I currently use a std box linked to a JVC vhs HDD recorder, works great but want to change over, again for 2 reasons.

1. Single box rather than 2, less wires, less clutter
2. want a digibox which output s-video or component

Anybody got any idea thoughts or is it just a pipe dream.

thanks for looking

Just in case someone suggests it, I don't want freeview (poor quality pics in my area) so want to stick with sky free to air channels even though there are less channels than on free view.

SKY+ only costs an extra £10 if you don't take to two SKY premium channels (movies/sport).

No one can argue that the single box SKY+ is an ideal solution for a time shifting device, perfect recordings and of course watch one SKY channel while recording another or record two and watch a previous recording.
It's that flexibility that makes the two box solution looks so awkward:)

Since it sounds like you are only a FTA/FTV viewer the SKY+ option is expensive but you could still buy a used SKY+ and use it with a single LNB feed and make use of the s-video output (and optical output for audio) without paying the sub. It would be more or less a standard digibox but with no autoview function.

The BBC/ITV Freesat system may be the long term answer although it would have to be long term due to the lack of CH4 or Five:)

Starburst said:
SKY+ only costs an extra £10 if you don't take to two SKY premium channels (movies/sport).

£120 a year to do exactly what i'm doing now for free. On principal I wont take this option.

Starburst said:
No one can argue that the single box SKY+ is an ideal solution for a time shifting device, perfect recordings and of course watch one SKY channel while recording another or record two and watch a previous recording.
It's that flexibility that makes the two box solution looks so awkward:)

I can only agree in part, the two box solution i have at current is not akward if anything it's easier and simpler than sky+. The only thing i don't like is 2 boxes instead of 1. Personally recording one sky channel while watching another is not a big plus for me. The number of time there are 2 things on sky at the same time which are worth watching is very very rare (imho)

Starburst said:
Since it sounds like you are only a FTA/FTV viewer the SKY+ option is expensive but you could still buy a used SKY+ and use it with a single LNB feed and make use of the s-video output (and optical output for audio) without paying the sub. It would be more or less a standard digibox but with no autoview function.

But would this still give me the hard disk recording ability? or would it just give me the s-video output. Even if it is just the s-video might still be worth changing over.

thanks for taking the time to answer i do appreciate it.

Ian

The BBC/ITV Freesat system may be the long term answer although it would have to be long term due to the lack of CH4 or Five:)[/QUOTE]

Alphatoner said:
£120 a year to do exactly what i'm doing now for free. On principal I wont take this option.

Looks like it's a pipe dream then.

What about aiming the dish at Astra 19.2e and using something like a Force receiver with 400gb hdd drive??

Alphatoner said:
But would this still give me the hard disk recording ability? or would it just give me the s-video output. Even if it is just the s-video might still be worth changing over.

Sorry, thought I made it clear.
No recording or use of the internal hard drive without paying the £10 directly or having a suitable channel package.

A SKY+ box will however allow you to use the s-video output as well as the optical audio connection without paying any additional fee so would work with a FTV card or even just as a FTA receiver. It may be more practical to try and source an old Grundig digibox model number ending with /s which would indicate a s-video socket, probably cheaper than a SKY+ unit.

Robert Hill said:
What about aiming the dish at Astra 19.2e and using something like a Force receiver with 400gb hdd drive??

That would work as long as you don't want any of the UK channels which would include the big 4 terrestrials:)

There are a number of FTA receivers on the market that have integrated hard drive recording although I do not know how advanced or flexible their EPG's are and that at the end of the day is what makes all the difference.

Well, i'm guessing that there is no such thing as a digibox with built in hard drive for recording other than sky+

I'm also guessing this is down to murdoch controlling the supply chain. Would also explain why no one ever bought out a combined digibox and VHS recorder.

Still could be worse he could merge with microsoft then we really would be in trouble.

Thanks for the comments anyway

:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom