Sky + Google Chromecast: HDMI Switch

lorcar

Novice Member
hi everyone
had bought a classical HDMI switch not-powered, from Amazon, everything worked perfectly with Sky and new Google Chromecast, BUT
1- it didnt switch automatically between the two sources. I had to change using the button on the switch. I understood the problem might be GCC, as it is always ON, and it doesnt switch off
2- but the I realized the problem might be SKY, because it's not able to power the HDMI switch on its own. Connecting the SKY alone to the HDMI switch doesn't even switch the red led on the switch. I have to plug the GCC as well. Therefore I imagine problem 1 above is due also to the fact that HDMI switch doesnt recognize the SKY is on.

I returned the switch and looking for a powered switch. Would this solve the issue? do you have a recommended model/brand? thanks

Any HDMI device should have its own power so thats a good start, however Auto switching with SKY may be impossible as when in Standby SKY still sends a signal so it wont auto switch as the switch will think it is still switched on. The same is also true of the GCC

lorcar

Novice Member

TJT1

jessnuman

i read some reviews and people are saying they have to switch manually to sky...For me this means that Sky has not enough power to be recognized.
Does your sky work also when there are no other input attached to the switch?
Its auto, but like I said it only works with sky if in hdm1, not had one glitch.
Also, you have to make sure in sky box settings that HDMI Control, the ontouchplay is turned ON and on your samsung tv its the anytime+ if I remember has to be on.
Not sure what you mean by your last line?

Last edited:
What i think the OP is asking is if only SKY connected to the switch does it work ?

SKY generally doesnt send enough power down the HDMI cable to power external devices (why should it!!) so if only sky connected it wont work. As a GCC is always on this may provide "power" all the time.

What i cant understand is how the switch can autoswitch between a device that is always on such as the GCC , regardless of the power issue.

snaithg

What i think the OP is asking is if only SKY connected to the switch does it work ?

SKY generally doesnt send enough power down the HDMI cable to power external devices (why should it!!) so if only sky connected it wont work. As a GCC is always on this may provide "power" all the time.

What i cant understand is how the switch can autoswitch between a device that is always on such as the GCC , regardless of the power issue.
I suspect that an HDMI switch can appear to support (1 only) "Permanently On" device if the permanently on device is plugged into the default (Fallback) port of the switch.

Graham.

jessnuman

Just tried with just the sky box only, tried after putting it into standby and works fine, pressing sky button on sky remote wakes up the tv and then goes to the sky hdmi 1 port.
In sky settings i have hdmi control amd magic eye setting as it says here
Sky Help: Switch on your Sky+HD box and TV in one go
Its anynet+ you have to make sure on the samsung settings not anytime.

The CEC (anynet+) doesnt really have anything to do with the switch but glad it works, as lots of instances of SKY not delivering enough power to power external HDMI devices.

However, and sorry for repeating the same thing again, HDMI devices should always have their own power supply.

The next question is if you switch off sky box does it turn off the TV, even though what you really want is the switch to autoswitch to the GCC and not turn off the TV ?

The joys of CEC !!!

jessnuman

Yes tv and sky box switch off, but you have to have a rev9 sky remote, my older remote cant do this on my samsung
tv, standby and both turn off
By the way, i do have chromecast into usb on tv and also i do have a second hdmi on that tv, that the kids ps4 is using, of course the sky remote can switch between that hdmi and sky box/chromecast hdmi
You can always use the hdmi box remote to switch between sky and chromecast
mine has number on it hrs1031
the url i did earlier was from my amazon list, but shows another one in pic without the power lead and remote, duronic do 3 models it shows in description, found the right one i have on amazon here, but that link does not have power cable, mine did
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-HRS1031-Port-Switch-Remote/dp/B00204IE20

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom