1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky goes off when it rains

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Ash007, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When it rains, my sky goes off. Does everybodies do this? Can anything be done about it( apart from moving to Saudi Arabia)? Can they be sheilded some how?

Cheers,

Ash

2. njiri

njiri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like you've got a water leak into the cable somewhere.... at the dish connection perhaps? Might explain why it goes off air when it rains.

3. KeithO

KeithO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Where are you based? I'm in Southern Gemrnay, right at the edge of the Astra footprints, and I lose Sky every time we get a storm. If you're in a similar geographical position it might be the same issue.

4. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Manchester area.

Does this not happen to everyone else then?

5. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Would agree it's a cable problem. The connection to the LNB on my dish came off in the engineers hand when he was checking it. He replaced the LNB and connector. The join was then wrapped with insulating tape. I think for weather protection.

6. Robbie34

Robbie34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It sounds as if your dish is misaligned. Presumably you have a Sky mini-dish and it needs to be perfectly aligned to not lose the signal in wet weather.

You will only have to move your dish a fraction. Check the signal quality on your Sky box.

7. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    It's a general Sky signal issue. There was talk a few years ago of Sky fixing this problem by upping the bandwidth of the signal (everyday, not just during bad weather) but they haven't bothered yet. :rolleyes: It's not your equipment that causes the problem, we all get it. :mad:

8. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    "Rain fade" is casued by insufficient signal strength - which is why the dish needs to be aligned correctly to give a few dB of margin to allow for it. The signal receives more attenuation on its way from Astra to the UK when it has to pass through rain or heavy cloud. Hence the signal-to-noise ratio drops.
    Read up on "Link Budgets" if you want the full technicalities.
    Increasing the bandwidth isn't going to help. Increasing the signal power would help. Acccurate alignment (or even a larger dish) would increase the received signal strength to the receiver.
    I cannot agree with Nobber22 ("We all get it").
    So I wonder what $ky actually said ?

Chris Muriel, Manchester (ex communications engineer).

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

As good an explanation as you'll ever read:)
    The most obvious cause of signal loss during bad weather is a poorly aligned dish and LNB, as the source signal level drops the dish receives less and finally fails to generate a viable signal to pass onto the receiver. Dish re-alignment, LNB skew can and should be checked first followed by the general condition of the cable and connections, they need to be well sealed as water over time will reduce the cables abilty to carry the information although this would be a 24/7 issue not just when it rained.

It's frightening at times the level of mis-information/ignorance there is about SKY Digital and satellite in general either down to ill informed SKY CS's or total b******t that gets posted in forums which are used by rival platforms or posters with a general anti-SKY stance.
    I wonder how many thousand of people are paying for SKY and honestly believe losing the picture during rain is the norm :(

10. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    We all get it?
    No we don't.
    I had one instance of no signal as stated above and no it was not raining. It was due to poor installation. When asked to re align the dish though, the engineer said the signal strength was already within tolerance:confused: and did not need adjustment.

11. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Common consensus seems to be that either the cable needs changing/ securing or the dish needs realigning.
    Are these basic DIY jobs, or does it need to be done by an engineer? Is it Sky's responsiblity? Does the fact that my box is out of warrenty make any difference at all? ie should it cost?

Again, any help appreciated

Cheers,

Ash

12. apwood

apwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to change tack a bit here, but does anyone ever loose colour when watching Sky? When it was first installed it was stuck behind a tree and the colour would drop out all the time, leaving me with black and white. The tree was cut down and the dish moved to a better spot and it's not done it for years, but it's started happening again. Is this an atmospheric phenomenon or is my digibox screwed?

Jon

13. Robbie34

Robbie34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It is more likely that your dish requires re-aligning and/or your lnb needs a slight adjustment to its skew. This is a relatively simple job if you have easy access to the dish, and you can view your tv at the same time, so that you can use the signal test to obtain maximum signal quality.

It isn't easy if you have to rely on a third person to view the screen and relay details back to you. Otherwise you really need a meter to set up your dish properly.

In the event that you can access your dish and arrange to view your tv, then on your remote press Services, then 4: System Setup; 6: Signal Test.

Signal Quality is more important than Signal Strength so you need to slacken off the bolts slightly to be able to move the dish up and down, and from side to side so that it's not too loose.

Move the dish a fraction, either left or right, and stop. If the SQ goes down move it in the opposite direction until you get maximum SQ. Repeat this by moving the dish up or down. When you have maximum signal quality - and it should be more than you had before adjustment - tighten all of the bolts.

You can also adjust the skew of the lnb by moving it a fraction anti-clockwise and see if that increases your SQ. (Some lnb's for Sky mini dishes are fixed and you cannot alter the skew.) Move in the opposite direction if SQ drops and adjust for maximum SQ.

14. MikeyB

MikeyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, I've never had my Sky go off (or even degrade) due to weather.

15. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    I lose my Sky signal in HEAVY rain - thunderstorm intensity. It goes out maybe once every three months or so. Normally the signal quality is about two thirds of the way along the gauge, but in really heavy rain it loses the signal lock.

What's really annoying is that when this happens I can't watch any previously-recorded programs on my Sky+ box until the signal comes back up. :mad:

16. apwood

apwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice about the colour - actually it occurs to me that as my house has subsidence, the dish alignment is probably changing subtly over the years.

Back to the original topic, my signal cuts out in HEAVY rain also, and in VERY strong winds - otherwise it's okay.

One thing I should point out is that digiboxes are rather sensitive to dirty electricity. Mine used to crash a fair amount until I plugged it into a surge-protected adaptor plug (about £20 from Homebase) and then the problem stopped. I wonder if any of you guys experiencing signal problems would benefit from a similar product?

17. Mattk

Mattk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this problem lots, even with a zone 2 larger dish until I changed to an old 80cm dish with a good universal LNB , set the LNB at an angle (skew) and I have never lost the signal again even in very heavy rain. It's quite easy to set up even if you don't have any equipment just get another person to watch the signal strength on your sky box and shout loudly!:)
    Personally I don't think the minidishes have enough gain and I would never go back to one and suffer in rain.