Sky Go, tablet to TV

hkrdan

Hi, I normally stream Sky Go through my laptop and an HDMI cable to my TV. In order to streamline the setup a bit I was wondering if it was possible to do the same with a tablet (obviously with an HDMI output) and connect it to the TV. I vaguely remember someone telling me you can watch Sky Go on most mobile devices, but only a laptop will allow the display to be shown on an external display. I don't want to go buy a tablet and find this cannot be done. Any advice appreciated, thanks :)

cmdrmarc

I haven't found a mobile device that allows you to stream from Sky Go to the TV - Sky's position is if you want to watch Sky on your TV you use your Sky box :)

rojgelf

Distinguished Member
Hi, I normally stream Sky Go through my laptop and an HDMI cable to my TV. In order to streamline the setup a bit I was wondering if it was possible to do the same with a tablet (obviously with an HDMI output) and connect it to the TV. I vaguely remember someone telling me you can watch Sky Go on most mobile devices, but only a laptop will allow the display to be shown on an external display. I don't want to go buy a tablet and find this cannot be done. Any advice appreciated, thanks :)
I can do this with my kindle fire tablet and amazon instant, just plug in mirco hdmi to hdmi cable, works great. If you can find a device that supports Sky Go should work fine. For sky I just use a NowTV box, its so small you can take it around with you.

cmdrmarc

I can do this with my kindle fire tablet and amazon instant, just plug in mirco hdmi to hdmi cable, works great. If you can find a device that supports Sky Go should work fine. For sky I just use a NowTV box, its so small you can take it around with you.
Sky specifically restrict this to stop people getting around paying for a tv subscription ie one person pays, gives Sky go to his 2 friends, who use a tablet to plug into their TV. Don't personally see the point in being this strict.

hkrdan

Thanks for the replies. Yes it seems sky go is pretty strict with what it will allow to be streamed through HDMI to a TV. I thought I'd cracked it when they launched the playstation app, but it seems you actually need the paid for version; sky go extra to use that :mad:

Regarding the Now tv box, you can't get sky go on that, just sky's on demand subscription stuff.

Like I said it does seem to work with a pc laptop...I'm wondering if my macbook air would do it too, using a minidisplay port to HDMI cable....anyone know??

WozzaUK

Be interested to know if anyone is playing Sky Go on a Mac to a TV via a HDMI cable. Could save me buying a PS3/Xbox 360

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom