Sky Go Quality Settings

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by timfg, Aug 12, 2013.

1. timfg

timfg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Can anyone shed any light on why Sky have removed the quality settings on Sky Go for PC? On more popular channels (eg Sky Sports) the only option is 'Auto' - when you used to be abe to set High/Medium/Low.

The 'official' Sky line appears to be 'this ensures that everyone enjoys maximum quality' - which I'd be fine with, if it was the case, but... ever since Sky made this change, the quality appears intermittently dreadful, dropping back to a blur, or buffering, for several minutes at a stretch. I'm pretty certain it's not my Sky ADSL connection - I can run speedtests during periods of low quality and get 17 Mbps with 30ms pings reported (I live down the road from the exchange and connect at about 20Mbps typically).

2. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +642
    More likely to be due to server capacity as I've seen the same issue for popular program's at peak time - it happened several times last night during the golf for example. If I was paying for the service I'd be inclined to complain, but as it is free then I've not bothered.

3. arminvanbuuren

arminvanbuuren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Is the quality higher when you sign up for Sky Go Extra?

Am tempted to get it, but would like to know whether the sport channels would have a smoother and sharper image?

4. timfg

timfg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have Extra - don't think there is any difference, just allows you more devices

5. moonbeam120

moonbeam120

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +359
    No.

Sky Go's picture quality is and always has been abysmal, with constant blocking and buffering. Frankly - it must be a lack of investment in streaming capacity. If all the other players can give decent quality and even HD in some cases why can't Sky.

moon.

6. timfg

timfg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That's not been my experience - UNTIL they removed the quality options. Prior to that, I generally left it on Auto and could watch the Ashes matches for hours at a stretch in near HD quality on a 1920x1080 monitor. In fact, I commented to a colleague recently that Sky's delivery was so much better than live BBC through iPlayer. But performance has diminished substantially for me since they restricted the options to Auto only.

7. moonbeam120

moonbeam120

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +359
    timfg.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I've used Sky GO from the beginning (on PC, Laptop and phone using various public and private connections). At first I though it was a BB connection issue that was causing the problem but notice that even on my 60Mb/s VM BB connection at home, it would still be awful. Yet others like NFL Gamepass, iplayer, 4oD etc.. would be fine.

moon.

8. cougs

cougs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well, I am amazed tonight. Accessed Skygo through my 360 in my shed, and the picture quality is brilliant! I don't know why, as it has always been pretty crap. Ok, I am only watching on a 40" screen, but I am sat just 4' away. usually it is blocky and very low res, not good for fast moving sports. But it is on par with my living room screen now. Have Sky done anything?

9. cougs

cougs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    In actual fact, all my 360 apps seem to be better video quality!

10. nsewell

nsewell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I'm not aware of any major changes being implemented lately.
    Sky are currently in the process of an entire silverlight rewrite for Sky Go in order to make it more efficient and reduce the number of errors people are experiencing.
    But that's not due to be finished for a while.

11. moonbeam120

moonbeam120

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Just checked it as bad as ever.