Sky+ Global Comms F180 stopped working via tvlink magic eyes

webdevkev

Standard Member
Hi, First post here so quick "Hi" to y'all! :hiya:

I have a Sky+ box in lounge with the RF2 feeding a Global Comms F180 in the loft. Plugged in to the F180 are 2 shielded coax cables to the TVs in kitchen and master bedroom. I am using TV links (magic eyes), like this on the TVs to control the Sky+ box.

THIS WORKED ABSOLUTELY FINE FOR 4 YEARS.

About 8 or 9 months ago the magic eyes stopped working on both TVs. Could this have been related to the digital switch over in our area? I am unsure?

The RF output supply is on as described here TV-link not working

The F180 is working supplying power to the magic eyes as the red LED goes out on them when I switch off the mains power to the F180 in the loft.

I'm unsure what else to try.. :lease:

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Kev

webdevkev

Standard Member
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the follow-up and sorry for the delay in reply... I was away over xmas and didn't get a chance to respond.

Okay...
Basically I tested everything on the really helpful http://www.satcure.co.uk/pdfs/skylink.pdf guide.

I have a couple of weird observations which I wonder if you can help with?

I can confirm there is voltage coming from RF2, as I plugged the magic eye directly into this, although I do not have a multimeter to test what the voltage is.

Oddly, when I select option [Services] [401] [Select] and set "RF power supply" to OFF the magic eye LED is still glowing red?

This seemed odd to me, unless there is some trickle voltage coming from RF2 all the time?

I also do not have the option to change RF channel number? This is fixed on 69.

Just before giving up and going away for xmas, I noticed the SKY remote control started to work on the master bedroom TV, changing the SKY channel via the magic eye. Whoohoo, I thought... I've somehow managed to fix it.

Me goes away for xmas with the family all chuffed :)

Having returned from xmas break I sadly discovered I had not fixed it at all and the problem is back, on both master bedroom TV and kitchen TV, same as before :(

Are there any clues here as to what could be the problem?

Many thanks,
Kevin

MartinPickering

I can confirm there is voltage coming from RF2, as I plugged the magic eye directly into this, although I do not have a multimeter to test what the voltage is.

Let me stop you there. You can buy a multimeter for a fiver. It's so useful for checking bulbs, batteries, fuses, cables etc. that no house should be without one.

Trying to guess whether there's a consistently correct voltage just to save a fiver could be very costly in terms of time, and stuff you end up buying by mistake. Nuff said.

logiciel

I also do not have the option to change RF channel number? This is fixed on 69.
The option should be there and the default should be 68.
Where have you been looking?

webdevkev

Standard Member
Sorry logiciel, I have looked closer and I do have the option to change it. I thought it worked like the RF power supply option below, where you cursor right, then up and down to toggle through channels. I now see I can simply enter a channel number using the numerical keys.

It seems this has to be set to 69 as changing it to 68 loses the picture on the TVs in kitchen and master bedroom.

logiciel

That's OK and the idea is that you set it to something different and then tune the extension TVs to the channel you've just chosen.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom