Sky glass vs current tv

Tazza84

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone who is technically minded able to give me some advice? I like the idea of sky glass but unsure if the tv will be any better than my current screen. I have a Samsung Qe55q6fam Samsung QE55Q6F had this for a few years and wondering if there would be any upgrade in specs if I changed tv. I’m not technically minded so any help appreciated.

Short answer - No.

Anyone who is technically minded able to give me some advice? I like the idea of sky glass but unsure if the tv will be any better than my current screen. I have a Samsung Qe55q6fam Samsung QE55Q6F had this for a few years and wondering if there would be any upgrade in specs if I changed tv. I’m not technically minded so any help appreciated.
If you're not technically minded then the chances are you've not fiddled much with the settings of your Samsung, and probably prefer it that way. If that's the case then Sky Glass may well be suitable for you. It'll certainly sound better than the Samsung (Dolby Atmos soundbar built in) and has more HDR compatibility (Dolby Vision) and has a Full Array Local Dimming 10bit QLED screen, whereas your Samsung is only edge-lit, but image quality is very subjective. The Glass screen may not be as bright as your current TV so any HDR benefits could be minimal (if any). All the blurb states that it will choose the optimum picture and sound settings for all sources so if you don't like fiddling with such things then it could be the TV for you.
I'd advise trying to see it in the flesh to see if you like the image it produces. Your Samsung may already do everything you need it to perfectly well, and if you already have a functional Sky Q system then the benefits of changing to Glass may be minimal, if any.

Short answer - No.
If you're not technically minded then the chances are you've not fiddled much with the settings of your Samsung, and probably prefer it that way. If that's the case then Sky Glass may well be suitable for you. It'll certainly sound better than the Samsung (Dolby Atmos soundbar built in) and has more HDR compatibility (Dolby Vision) and has a Full Array Local Dimming 10bit QLED screen, whereas your Samsung is only edge-lit, but image quality is very subjective. The Glass screen may not be as bright as your current TV so any HDR benefits could be minimal (if any). All the blurb states that it will choose the optimum picture and sound settings for all sources so if you don't like fiddling with such things then it could be the TV for you.
I'd advise trying to see it in the flesh to see if you like the image it produces. Your Samsung may already do everything you need it to perfectly well, and if you already have a functional Sky Q system then the benefits of changing to Glass may be minimal, if any.
Hopefully will see a glass tv in the flesh next week. Another factor for me is how the tv will perform when gaming (input lag etc) as I use an Xbox series x in game mode

Hopefully will see a glass tv in the flesh next week. Another factor for me is how the tv will perform when gaming (input lag etc) as I use an Xbox series x in game mode
Therein may be the problem. Your Samsung is 100Hz. Glass will only go to 60Hz.
I'm not a major gamer so I don't know for sure how much of an issue that really is.

Saw the Glass in shopping centre- Was off as it ' was overloading network'!. Went back in the afternoon and was impressed with the sound. Picture looked 'hazy' but when given a few demo programs nature, and outside views 'ok' . I don't have HDR at home but my 7 year Sony still gives a very satisfying picture. But I would not change for the Glass picture . Only the sound might be a coaxer . I don't like the idea of not having recordings 'in house' and the skip ads now being an extra charge I think it will be a while before we swop, if at all

Sky Glass is a disaster Only good thing is the TV and that is not that great either . The whole " Glass" system , needs to be reworked on " NOW" before Christmas . Otherwise those sets will be going back to Sky asap

I don’t often post on here but I feel I need to, to help people. But honestly if you have Sky Q and can access it via satellite dish. Do not get Sky Glass. Reasons:

1. You cannot record.
2. Even with Ultrafast Broadband from Sky via an Ethernet cable programmes would still buffer. Especially UHD
3. Football is 45 seconds behind live as it is streamed
4. Picture is decent at best. Sound is good.
5.Sky Pucks are an additional £50 each

Trust me avoid Sky Glass if you have Sky Q it’s terrible. I’ve cancelled mine already and luckily reinstated Sky Q with my previous discounts. This is not an upgrade on Sky Q at all but a step backwards.

Yea Ive gone right off the idea now. After reading the sky glass official forums there seems to be way too many issues. Was considering when first announced as I was tempted to get a slightly bigger TV but definitely leaving my setup as it is.

Can try better ? and they must at the moment a total waste of time and money . The "GLASS" system is toooo slow in operation , even with a speed of 67 mps or whatever they call it . Minimum is a speed of 35 . Even at 150 it would be any better. Much better saving your money . Buyer beware is the word on this one , sorry guys at Sky this is a bummer . needs more updates . The only people who would be interested in this " crazy thing" are those who do or not allowed a Dish . Better luck next time . A pathetic try

It’s not going to improve even with faster Internet, I’m on 450.
The only advantage is the Puck is UHD which is what we want to Sky mini box to be not just 1 UHD device

It is a bit of a mess very basic HDMI as well . I keep my 2 PLASMA for the time being . okay only at 60 hz and not either SMART or HDR either. But still better than what they are offering .

I really think customers should walk away from sky glass tv as the only people who will benefit from this is sky and Samsung and not the customer. It was only a few year ago they brought out the sound bar and look where that went. Sky promise only leads to profits

Why would Samsung benefit?

I really think customers should walk away from sky glass tv as the only people who will benefit from this is sky and Samsung and not the customer. It was only a few year ago they brought out the sound bar and look where that went. Sky promise only leads to profits
Sky Glass has nothing to do with Samsung, although they may benefit from the all the people returning their Glass TVs and buying a Samsung instead...
By sound bar I assume you mean the Sky Soundbox?
It is indeed all about the money with Sky. Maximum profit at the expense of everything else. If they partnered with a hardware manufacturer that actually did know what they were doing I might care more about the service they provide.

anything sky brings out hardly works and just like sky q picture quality. I think this will have its own customers who lives in places where they can’t install a dish or can’t get sky q.. the cost doesn’t work for me.. after having the sky sound bar I’m reluctant to ever trust sky again

If it was a great product would we all be hearing so much negativity about it?
Good try but back to the drawing board I think.

Even What Hi Fi did not give it much of a review and there normaly 5/5 reviews 😎😎

put your money towards a decent Oled screen with a decent soundbar or Receiver / Speakers
and get far better Quality Picture & Sound to boot .

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom