SKY+ getting installed at weekend, just got the order confirmation

robotron

Can I just check something - My order confirmation from Sky says
"Sky+(A grade) - £0.00"

Obviously the £0.00 is the good bit - Does A grade mean brand spanking new?

Usually the word "grade" or "graded" is only bandied about if it's reconditioned stock.

I would assume recon stock would be b grade so Grade A means new. Is this right?

Also, what are the actual differences between PVR2 and PVR3? Sky told me I'll get a PVR3, some people here are saying I'll end up with a PVR2 - What difference would it actually make to me (if any)?

Any ideas?

Cheers

R

stevelup

Distinguished Member
I buy a lot of graded stock.

New means new - graded (whether A or B) means not brand spanking new.

A-Grade typically means 'good as new' - complete with all the accessories and in the original packaging. It could simply have been taken out of the packaging and repacked, or it could have been used. There should be no cosmetic damage.

B-Grade typically means it will be working fine but there may be slight cosmetic damage and some trivial bits and pieces may be missing.

Steve
Steve

Don't forget if it's refurb it'll only have a 90day warranty on it. If i was you i'd call up the customer services and ask them exactly what you're getting.

phatspider

Novice Member
i got the some order confirmation and it was definitely a brand new pace that was fitted today. dont get too excited about the 0.00 charge on the letter though. when i checked my statement in interactive there were the folloing :

199.99 for sky+ dr
100 for sky+ cr
60 for sky+ inst dr
60 for sky+ inst dr
120 free installation cr
50 sky+ discount cr
49 sky+ amex deal cr

which all balances to 0

However - the interesting thing is the 49 hasnt shown on my amex online statement - and its been over a week now :)

quidco not turned up yet but its tracked so it could cost me minjus 50 for sky plus! :)

robotron

I've just spoken to Sky - They've now told me that the offer for a free PVR3 does not exist and never did so I will be getting a refurbished Grade A PVR2.

The fact that I was told about 3 times during the original call that it is not refurb, brand new, PVR3 is irrelevent (to them anyway)

Needless to say I'm a bit miffed right now and am so close to telling them to stick the whole lot.

I'll sleep on it but I think they may get a phone call tomorrow telling them to keep it.

Who do I complain to by email?

Cheers

R

P.S - Hats off to johnmcf who said all along the deal didn't exist - At least someone has a clue what's going on!!! :)

robotron

phatspider said:
i got the some order confirmation and it was definitely a brand new pace that was fitted today. dont get too excited about the 0.00 charge on the letter though. when i checked my statement in interactive there were the folloing :

Is it a brand new PVR3 or 2 (I don't know how you tell the difference!)

R

neilmcl

rorym said:
I've just spoken to Sky - They've now told me that the offer for a free PVR3 does not exist and never did so I will be getting a refurbished Grade A PVR2.

The fact that I was told about 3 times during the original call that it is not refurb, brand new, PVR3 is irrelevent (to them anyway)

Needless to say I'm a bit miffed right now and am so close to telling them to stick the whole lot.

I'll sleep on it but I think they may get a phone call tomorrow telling them to keep it.

Who do I complain to by email?

Cheers

R

P.S - Hats off to johnmcf who said all along the deal didn't exist - At least someone has a clue what's going on!!! :)
You whinging about getting a free Sky+ box, whether its a new PVR3 or not ITS STILL FREE :confused:

neilmcl

phatspider said:
i dont know - but its pace, 80 gig, with an optical audio out - does that help? came in a white box
That'll be a pvr3. Any model below comes with a 40Gb drive. V3 models have a 160Gb drive with 80Gb free for recording.

robotron

neilmcl said:
That'll be a pvr3. Any model below comes with a 40Gb drive. V3 models have a 160Gb drive with 80Gb free for recording.
Once again I'm getting more confused...

I've been told this evening that the PVR2 box they intend to supply will be able to record 40 hours. I was under the impression that 40 hours recording would take 80 Gig of space.

So surely a PVR2 has to have a least an 80 gig drive in it.

As far as the "It's free, why are you complaining?" it isn't free. I'll be paying £444 a year to watch telly via my Sky+ box, which in my book is not free.

The fact I was offered the box without extra cost is a great bonus, but it is most certainly not free. My main complaint is with the fact that the cancellations people specifically stated it was a brand new PVR3 box, and now I find out it isn't. That is not the same as the original offer, and was at best a mistake or at worst blatant lies.

R

spice2019

Novice Member
rorym said:
Once again I'm getting more confused...

I've been told this evening that the PVR2 box they intend to supply will be able to record 40 hours. I was under the impression that 40 hours recording would take 80 Gig of space.

So surely a PVR2 has to have a least an 80 gig drive in it.

As far as the "It's free, why are you complaining?" it isn't free. I'll be paying £444 a year to watch telly via my Sky+ box, which in my book is not free.

The fact I was offered the box without extra cost is a great bonus, but it is most certainly not free. My main complaint is with the fact that the cancellations people specifically stated it was a brand new PVR3 box, and now I find out it isn't. That is not the same as the original offer, and was at best a mistake or at worst blatant lies.

R
It's not nice if they are being dishonest. I feel they were with me, I mean saying Grade A is new if quite comical.

robotron

spice2019 said:
It's not nice if they are being dishonest. I feel they were with me, I mean saying Grade A is new if quite comical.
It is the dishonesty that is annoying me - I know people make mistakes but I think the original sales person thought "He'll not know the difference and even if he does notice, when he phones back he'll speak to someone else at the call centre in a different department. I'm one sale closer to my target now"

What's more comical is what I've been told so far.

1) You'll get a brand new PVR3 (at time of ordering it)
2) You'll get a graded box of some kind (written confirmation)

After phoning them back up to find out what was going on and spoke to 4 different people who said....

1) Don't know
2) (Allegedly an engineer) - You'll get a brand new box of some kind - He didn't know what a PVR3 or PVR2 was!
3) Definitely a reconditioned PVR2
4) Definitely a reconditioned PVR2 that records 40 hours

So I may be the only person in the UK with a brand new, reconditioned PVR2/3, that can record 40 hours TV.

I can't wait!!!

R

spice2019

Novice Member
rorym said:
It is the dishonesty that is annoying me - I know people make mistakes but I think the original sales person thought "He'll not know the difference and even if he does notice, when he phones back he'll speak to someone else at the call centre in a different department. I'm one sale closer to my target now"

What's more comical is what I've been told so far.

1) You'll get a brand new PVR3 (at time of ordering it)
2) You'll get a graded box of some kind (written confirmation)

After phoning them back up to find out what was going on and spoke to 4 different people who said....

1) Don't know
2) (Allegedly an engineer) - You'll get a brand new box of some kind - He didn't know what a PVR3 or PVR2 was!
3) Definitely a reconditioned PVR2
4) Definitely a reconditioned PVR2 that records 40 hours

So I may be the only person in the UK with a brand new, reconditioned PVR2/3, that can record 40 hours TV.

I can't wait!!!

R
I totally agree, the dishonesty amongst the Sky staff on cancellations is frankly disgraceful. There must be some sort of reward scheme for staff to blatantly lie to you. It gets my back up.

I too have got a letter today, saying that it'll be a Grade A Sky+ box. I actually asked her twice if it was brand new and she said YES! :mad:

I seriously thinking about calling them up and cancelling the whole thing. I don't like liars, it's the principal of the matter. Sky should be reported to trading standards.

robotron

spice2019 said:
I totally agree, the dishonesty amongst the Sky staff on cancellations is frankly disgraceful. There must be some sort of reward scheme for staff to blatantly lie to you. It gets my back up.

I too have got a letter today, saying that it'll be a Grade A Sky+ box. I actually asked her twice if it was brand new and she said YES! :mad:

I seriously thinking about calling them up and cancelling the whole thing. I don't like liars, it's the principal of the matter. Sky should be reported to trading standards.

Maybe we should form a posse and march on Sky HQ :)

The revolution will be televised (but it'll cost £9.99 on pay per view!) ;)

R

FRANTIC FRANC

Novice Member
You are assuming that everyone at Sky knows what they are talking about - trust me they don't !! You can put the phone down and ring back and get a different answer every time. Even for us engineers we are fits of laughter every morning swapping stories of Sky incompetence and lack of knowledge!

If you are getting a recon box on a Sky offer (providing it is an install and not a service call) it will be guaranteed for 12 months. And like I've said before you can only have the choice of what the engineer has been given on the day by the depot, it could be a PVR1 2 or 3. (personally I'd have the Pace PVR2 any day!).

Recording time is 1 hour = 2gb. But there's nothing to stop you putting a bigger hard drive in most models.

Cheers, Franc

neilmcl

rorym said:
The fact that you're already paying £444 a year suggests that you already have either a movies or sports mix so in effect Sky+ is not costing you a penny extra at all for the service and the fact that you're also being offered a box for FREE, which is a helluva lot less than most people, tells me that you really haven't got all that much to complain about. But if you really are annoyed why don't you carry out your original threat to Sky and cancel, I'm sure they'll miss you. :rolleyes:

robotron

neilmcl said:
The fact that you're already paying £444 a year suggests that you already have either a movies or sports mix so in effect Sky+ is not costing you a penny extra at all for the service and the fact that you're also being offered a box for FREE, which is a helluva lot less than most people, tells me that you really haven't got all that much to complain about. But if you really are annoyed why don't you carry out your original threat to Sky and cancel, I'm sure they'll miss you. :rolleyes:

Hi there,

I don't already have movies or sport, I signed up for movies as part of the "upgrade" to Sky+ so it is costing me more.

As for the box being free, I do see your point but in the grand scheme of things it isn't free. You need 2 things to view Sky - A subscription and a box. The money you pay per month subsidises the cost of the box.

Compare Sky to a mobile phone - You need 2 things

Sky box and subs
Mobile phone and account

If you signed up for a monthly tariff and they promised you a brand new latest model handset and then they turned round and delivered a second hand older model handset you would be absolutely right to complain.

The fact that the Sky+ box costs a lot less than usual isn't my biggest gripe - It's Sky's attitude to the whole scenario, from the lies told at the original order stage through to the fact that I keep getting conflicting information from Sky staff when trying to sort it out.

With call centres it's pot luck as to whether you speak to someone who knows what they are doing - Hopefully I'll eventually get through to someone who does!

R

stevelup

Distinguished Member
The mobile phone analogy is a good one because it demonstrates what a bunch of sharks Sky are.

Every year - when your contract is due for renewal - your mobile phone company will give you a brand new latest model handset.

What do sky do? Bugger all - they expect their oldest, and most loyal subscribers to shell out money constantly for upgrades.

Sky+ should have been a free upgrade.
SkyHD should be a free upgrade.

I've been a subscriber since launch and I dare not even calculate how much money Sky have extracted from me over the years...

FRANTIC FRANC

Novice Member
rorym said:
As for the box being free, I do see your point but in the grand scheme of things it isn't free. You need 2 things to view Sky - A subscription and a box. The money you pay per month subsidises the cost of the box.

R
Surely that is like you winning a car in a competition but then saying you are not satisfied and want a years free petrol to drive it around :D

Why don't you just buy your own Sky+ and keep the package you are on already?

Cheers, Franc

neilmcl

stevelup said:
Every year - when your contract is due for renewal - your mobile phone company will give you a brand new latest model handset.
Err... no they don't, which is why a each year there is an increasing number of people changing providers to get better deals with free phones elsewhere. If you want the latest phone for free you really have to be payng the highest tariffs.

If you're not happy go to the top and email Mr Murdoch, i did and got it all sorted plus six months half price. A company as big as sky shouldn't be telling people things that are not true, someone told me i had a brand new box and it turned out i was getting a refurbished one (which is only 90days warranty) I was furious! if sky want to tell customers lies, they must take responsibility and if that means customers get some kind of some kind of compensation then so be it. Message me anyone if you want his email, not sure i'm allowed to put it on here.

neilmcl said:
Err... no they don't, which is why a each year there is an increasing number of people changing providers to get better deals with free phones elsewhere. If you want the latest phone for free you really have to be payng the highest tariffs.
No you don't, most companies offer the Latest handset for nothing and if people want to move companies to get the better deal so what! you seem to have a problem with anyone getting anything from anyone!:boring:

neilmcl

dudeness said:
No you don't, most companies offer the Latest handset for nothing and if people want to move companies to get the better deal so what! you seem to have a problem with anyone getting anything from anyone!:boring:
You've totally missed the point being made, I was replying to post that suggested that Sky should be like mobile phone providers who roll over backwards to keep their existing customers happy by offering them the latest kit for free, which as anyone knows is complete nonsense and thus causes a lot of customers to change providers to get better deals elsewhere, and there is absolutely nothing wrong in doing that - I never suggested otherwise.

The only problem I have is when someone gets something for nothing and then has the gall to complain about it. :rolleyes:

spice2019

Novice Member
neilmcl said:
The only problem I have is when someone gets something for nothing and then has the gall to complain about it. :rolleyes:
You've missed the point, RoryM has already explained that he doesn't feel £444 a year is free, you obviously aren't listening. We are perfectly within our rights to complain about our Sky+ upgrades if Sky have been dishonest with us to get a sale. Would you like a 20GB PVR1 if you were promised a PVR3 80GB?, I think you would be disappointed too.

neilmcl

spice2019 said:
You've missed the point, RoryM has already explained that he doesn't feel £444 a year is free, you obviously aren't listening. We are perfectly within our rights to complain about our Sky+ upgrades if Sky have been dishonest with us to get a sale. Would you like a 20GB PVR1 if you were promised a PVR3 80GB?, I think you would be disappointed too.
What do you mean "being dishonest to get a sale". They're not selling anything, they're giving away the service and box for FREE :rolleyes: He is already a Sky customer and has increased his subscription to now include Movies or Sports and because he threatened to cancel they've offered him completely free Sky+.

stevelup

Distinguished Member
neilmcl said:
Well I'm not on the top tariff by any means and have a relatively modest phone spend yet I've had a brand spanking new phone - more or less of my choice - every year for the last 7 years now. Every other week there is someone on these here forums offering their brand new 'free upgrade' phones for sale...

I don't understand what your argument is anyway when you refer to highest tariffs - that is, after all, what we Sky customers are doing anyway...

Sky Box == Phone Handset

Sky Subscription == Phone Contract

Person with subscription to top Sky package == Person with expensive phone tariff

Sky gives person NOTHING != Phone company giving free phone each year.

The key thing is that Sky is a monopoly, thus are not competing with anyone, therefore they have no reason whatsoever to try and keep their customers happy. And it shows.

Steve

neilmcl

stevelup said:
The key thing is that Sky is a monopoly, thus are not competing with anyone, therefore they have no reason whatsoever to try and keep their customers happy. And it shows.

Steve
Here we go again, same old story thats got nothing to do with the main topic of this thread :boring:

This has been dealt with many times before, please move on.

stevelup

Distinguished Member
neilmcl said:
...Sky should be like mobile phone providers who roll over backwards to keep their existing customers happy by offering them the latest kit for free, which as anyone knows is complete nonsense
You're stating as fact that phone companies do not give free handset upgrades out to encourage customer retention. This is completely untrue, and I'm sure there are literally hundreds of members of this forum who have received free handset upgrades.

I'm guessing you havent...?

neilmcl said:
Here we go again, same old story thats got nothing to do with the main topic of this thread :boring:

This has been dealt with many times before, please move on.
Exactly who the hell do you think you are?

Someone - much earlier in the thread mentioned mobile phones. I agree that it's a good analogy, then you go ahead and insist that I'm talking 'absolute nonsense' when I state that phone providers *DO* give out free handsets.

You'll be denying that Sky is a monopoly next...

neilmcl

stevelup said:
You're stating as fact that phone companies do not give free handset upgrades out to encourage customer retention. This is completely untrue, and I'm sure there are literally hundreds of members of this forum who have received free handset upgrades.

I'm guessing you havent...?

Exactly who the hell do you think you are?

Someone - much earlier in the thread mentioned mobile phones. I agree that it's a good analogy, then you go ahead and insist that I'm talking 'absolute nonsense' when I state that phone providers *DO* give out free handsets.

You'll be denying that Sky is a monopoly next...
In fear of taking this thread totally off topic I'll respond to this once and for all. I never stated as fact "that phone companies do not give free handset upgrades out to encourage customer retention", I suggested that they don't just give out the "latest" phones for free to existing customers without at least being on one of the higher tariffs. I have myself received free handsets in the past but if I wanted, say a Sony Ericsson W810i from Orange for example, even if I threatened to cancel, given that its upgrade cost is between £0.00 and £130, I would still have to pay a nominal charge or increase my tariff. And that is a stone cold fact.

If you to upgrade to the latest and most expensive current phones for free then even if you threaten to cancel, most, if not all providers would expect you to increase your tariff or extend the contract period to 18 months. They don't just give out every phone free of charge to any existing customer who wants one, as you seem to suggest.