Sky Functionality Wishlist

colham

Novice Member
What do you think Sky should give us next?

More HD Movie channels - too right
Remove ITV from the planner - yes please

I'd also quite like the yellow button to be able to send me back to the previous channel I was on. Never seen it used for 'Messages', and it was something I used to have on old analogue cable, and was handy when watching one footy match, and flicking to see the score on another.

I'd also like to be able to swap the HD channel for the SD equivalent. Having Sky One HD at 197 is rubbish. I'm on HD - why would I want to watch SD again???

Any more ideas?

ady1973

Standard Member
What do you think Sky should give us next?

More HD Movie channels - too right
Remove ITV from the planner - yes please

I'd also quite like the yellow button to be able to send me back to the previous channel I was on. Never seen it used for 'Messages', and it was something I used to have on old analogue cable, and was handy when watching one footy match, and flicking to see the score on another.

I'd also like to be able to swap the HD channel for the SD equivalent. Having Sky One HD at 197 is rubbish. I'm on HD - why would I want to watch SD again???

Any more ideas?
I would certainly agree with those - HD boxes should remap the HD equivalent channel to the SD.

On another issue of functionality, how many times have people asked for the ability to get programme information using the i button whilst using the search and scan feature?

More use of the green trailer button to set reminders on non-sky channels. This should be a digibox feature not an issue for broadcasters to control.

Ability to sort planner by programme name, hard disk usage, duration. Ability to split planner into folders - this would be great for different categories of programmes.

Box to be clever enough to know what equipment it is connected to to make copying a lot easier. Direct PC connection to digibox to copy from sky hard disk to PC.

Shimmyhill

A button to autoskip about 3 mins of a recorded show - to skip ads etc.

OuiOui

Novice Member
Activate the external SATA and ethernet ports
Add subdirectories and file size info to the planner
Better bandwidth / less compression for all HD channels
Improved FastForward
Allow access to external stored media inc. photos, mp3 etc via ethernet

Cyril

Novice Member
After most bugs and reliability problems are fixed:

1. Ability to add proper wishlists by actor, director,producer, keywords, title with not/and/or functions. These to be tailored over all channels or just one channel
2. Prioritiser of series links and wishlists in event of clashes
3. Improved metadata so series links persist more than a month if there is a break, (in fact persist for years unless cancelled)
4. Series links for EVERY programme on every channel
5. Overshoot compensation when fast forwarding
6. 30 second skip
7. Anytime only uses spare unused disk space
8. Anytime is customisable by user preferences so programmes are tailored to each user
9. Full web based interface so every function can be controlled across the internet
10. One month EPG which is cached locally so runs faster
11. EPG overlaid over live TV option
12. EPG can be accessed even when both tuners in use
13. EPG can be accessed without losing live pause
14. Dynamic buffer for live pause which uses available spare disk space
15. Programmes you don't want in Planner or Anytime are remembered and never recorded again unless told otherwise
16. Quick way to delete when viewing has finished
17. Direct delete facility for Anytime
18. Anytime programmes are only deleted when out of disk space
19. Ability to assign different remote codes for each Sky box so you can have multiple boxes in the same room without clashing
20. Ethernet enabled to add multi-room sharing of video to PC or other Sky boxes (mp3 and pictures would also be nice)
21. View upcoming episodes functionality over all channels
22. Unlimited favourites or ability to hide/remove unwanted channels in EPG
23. Integration with Vista/MCE DVB-S
24. Display of full recording history and scheduled items in seperate menus
25. Display of all active series links and wishlists and order of priority
26. When you press record in live TV gives you the option to record the buffer as well to get the start of the programme if available
27. All preferences and settings can be stored over the internet so can be restored in event of box failure
28. Option to record in HD whenever possible - so if you accidently record or schedule an SD version it will automatically record the HD version instead, or let you know when the next HD version of a programme will be shown next
29. Better clash resolution - will tell you which of the clashing programmes are repeated within the next month, so you can pick the one which doesn't get repeated. This should be customisable to work with a prioritiser as well so clashes can be automatically resolved
30. Ability to pad any programme by any amount (1minute to 12 hours) at any time, even when programme has already started
31. Save until options for each programme in planner or Anytime - so
Save until - disk space needed, 1 day, 2 day, 3days, until I delete, until I watch
32. Series links and wishlists have customisable default Save Until options, and keep 'x' number of episodes

Remote re-designed to add skip to start and skip to end buttons

colham

Novice Member
One extra thing I thought about was - y'know when you get in from work late or whatever, and a movie or program is already playing, the ability to choose to record/reminder for the next scheduled play of that movie.

AMCross

cyril

that quality of functionality has a name

Its TIVO :D

AMCross

yep and sky are the pioneers of digial tv :D

investing in so many good programs

Pity they did not spend a little more on the equipement we need to buy to watch the content :thumbsdow

Giblets2

Novice Member
Nice ones Cyril, nice ones son! Also?:

33. Editing of the start/end and adverts to frame accuracy and reclaim the disk space saved!

34. The ability to rename programmes once recorded i.e. 'Peppa Pig Fete' so you can find your daughter's favorite episode easily out of the thousands! This would work especially well with the folders that you mentioned.

35. Option of preview clips (like Anytime does) for all programmes in the planner.

36. A-Z search that actually :censored: works!

The Topfield Freeview PVR does nearly all the above plus a good many of the ideas you mentioned. Now if they only did a SkyHD compatible version...

GMT

Novice Member
one of the things you mentioned there cyril; was a button on the remote for skip to start/end of program.

hold down the rewind button for a few seconds and it skips to the start of your recording and the same with the fast forward button however that skips to the last minute of your recording.
either that or use viewer defined.

Cyril

Novice Member
one of the things you mentioned there cyril; was a button on the remote for skip to start/end of program.

hold down the rewind button for a few seconds and it skips to the start of your recording and the same with the fast forward button however that skips to the last minute of your recording.
either that or use viewer defined.
Yes, but I like dedicated buttons better!
The rewind/ff is a bit ropey so this would help!

Cyril

Novice Member
Nice ones Cyril, nice ones son! Also?:

The Topfield Freeview PVR does nearly all the above plus a good many of the ideas you mentioned. Now if they only did a SkyHD compatible version...
Yes, but there are quite a few hundred or thousand other things that TiVo can do, especially when hacked.

Shame the Topfield doesn't have the metadata quality yet.

This is the most important feature of a PVR IMHO. It's what makes the intelligent stuff work. Only TiVo and MCE/Vista have it at the moment, though I gather there is some good BBC data for the Topfield, and Sky+ series links have some OK metadata for the more popular Sky programmes.

37. Undelete
38. Share show suggestions with friends
39. Display messages (i.e. put the oven on I'm home in 15 minutes)
40. Connect with Digiguide, Amazon and other online guides/reviews and allow setting of season passes/series links/wishlists
41. Proper and quality metadata for radio shows, which can also have series links/wishlists which can also be prioritised, padded etc.
42. User customisation of onscreen graphics and logos
43. Option to not (or only) record signed programmes (this requires quality metadata)
44. Buffer/live pause intact on both tuners so when you switch between them you don't lose your place (USA DVRs can do this)
45. When attached to HD display show EPG in HD so we can see more text and in better quality
46. Full Wap enabled interface (for low-tech mobile phones or people who don't want to pay high GPRS charges)
47. Full FTP
48. Connect to email,weather, traffic,news, ebay watch lists and other rss feeds, podcasts, tivocasts, youtube
49. Connect to other Sky+ boxes to resolve any conflicts and allow operation of remote Sky+ boxes from your current one
50. Caller ID recognisation and link to your phone address book
51. Ability to send emails with diagnostics, hard drive failure possibility, modem failure alerts, scheduled to-do-list of programmes and report why any programmes failed to record
52. Customisable background music for EPG (load your own mp3 or radio channel)
53. Auto-detection of duplicate recordings (especially if also in Anytime), and option to detect and remove duplicates - I don't need the same programme in Anytime that I already have in my planner
54. In event of unresolved conflicts, auto-scheduling of the next repeat available
55. Profiles of all settings for each user, with user logons. Option to show/hide programmes dependent on profile
56. Ability to group together wishlists and series links by a name and also set validity and expiry dates

redknag

I'd like to be able to set the time "anytime" records. When listening to music the last thing I want to hear is the sky box humming away. Either that or a button push on the remote when in standby that really shuts it all down until you next use sky. I know I can disable anytime in the menu's, but that long winded, and you would then have to turn it on again.

Giblets2

Novice Member
I have it on good authority that 10-13 and 45 are on their way.

Bachstrad

Novice Member
I have it on good authority that 10-13 and 45 are on their way.
Knowing how reliable your sources are, I'm awaiting the arrival of those features. :smashin:

ATB

Max

Bachstrad

Novice Member
I would like this but NOT for sports or news as its too easy to hear the result of a match/game/gp before you've watched it!
Good point! Nothing worse than getting a result by accident, when you've done your best to avoid it.

ATB

Max

staxdoobie

Novice Member
After most bugs and reliability problems are fixed:

1. Ability to add proper wishlists by actor, director,producer, keywords, title with not/and/or functions. These to be tailored over all channels or just one channel
2. Prioritiser of series links and wishlists in event of clashes
3. Improved metadata so series links persist more than a month if there is a break, (in fact persist for years unless cancelled)
4. Series links for EVERY programme on every channel
5. Overshoot compensation when fast forwarding
6. 30 second skip
7. Anytime only uses spare unused disk space
8. Anytime is customisable by user preferences so programmes are tailored to each user
9. Full web based interface so every function can be controlled across the internet
10. One month EPG which is cached locally so runs faster
11. EPG overlaid over live TV option
12. EPG can be accessed even when both tuners in use
13. EPG can be accessed without losing live pause
14. Dynamic buffer for live pause which uses available spare disk space
15. Programmes you don't want in Planner or Anytime are remembered and never recorded again unless told otherwise
16. Quick way to delete when viewing has finished
17. Direct delete facility for Anytime
18. Anytime programmes are only deleted when out of disk space
19. Ability to assign different remote codes for each Sky box so you can have multiple boxes in the same room without clashing
20. Ethernet enabled to add multi-room sharing of video to PC or other Sky boxes (mp3 and pictures would also be nice)
21. View upcoming episodes functionality over all channels
22. Unlimited favourites or ability to hide/remove unwanted channels in EPG
23. Integration with Vista/MCE DVB-S
24. Display of full recording history and scheduled items in seperate menus
25. Display of all active series links and wishlists and order of priority
26. When you press record in live TV gives you the option to record the buffer as well to get the start of the programme if available
27. All preferences and settings can be stored over the internet so can be restored in event of box failure
28. Option to record in HD whenever possible - so if you accidently record or schedule an SD version it will automatically record the HD version instead, or let you know when the next HD version of a programme will be shown next
29. Better clash resolution - will tell you which of the clashing programmes are repeated within the next month, so you can pick the one which doesn't get repeated. This should be customisable to work with a prioritiser as well so clashes can be automatically resolved
30. Ability to pad any programme by any amount (1minute to 12 hours) at any time, even when programme has already started
31. Save until options for each programme in planner or Anytime - so
Save until - disk space needed, 1 day, 2 day, 3days, until I delete, until I watch
32. Series links and wishlists have customisable default Save Until options, and keep 'x' number of episodes

Remote re-designed to add skip to start and skip to end buttons
37. Undelete
38. Share show suggestions with friends
39. Display messages (i.e. put the oven on I'm home in 15 minutes)
40. Connect with Digiguide, Amazon and other online guides/reviews and allow setting of season passes/series links/wishlists
41. Proper and quality metadata for radio shows, which can also have series links/wishlists which can also be prioritised, padded etc.
42. User customisation of onscreen graphics and logos
43. Option to not (or only) record signed programmes (this requires quality metadata)
44. Buffer/live pause intact on both tuners so when you switch between them you don't lose your place (USA DVRs can do this)
45. When attached to HD display show EPG in HD so we can see more text and in better quality
46. Full Wap enabled interface (for low-tech mobile phones or people who don't want to pay high GPRS charges)
47. Full FTP
48. Connect to email,weather, traffic,news, ebay watch lists and other rss feeds, podcasts, tivocasts, youtube
49. Connect to other Sky+ boxes to resolve any conflicts and allow operation of remote Sky+ boxes from your current one
50. Caller ID recognisation and link to your phone address book
51. Ability to send emails with diagnostics, hard drive failure possibility, modem failure alerts, scheduled to-do-list of programmes and report why any programmes failed to record
52. Customisable background music for EPG (load your own mp3 or radio channel)
53. Auto-detection of duplicate recordings (especially if also in Anytime), and option to detect and remove duplicates - I don't need the same programme in Anytime that I already have in my planner
54. In event of unresolved conflicts, auto-scheduling of the next repeat available
55. Profiles of all settings for each user, with user logons. Option to show/hide programmes dependent on profile
56. Ability to group together wishlists and series links by a name and also set validity and expiry dates
57. The moon on a stick. ;)

sizedoesmatter

Novice Member
I think that bookmarks should be numbered so you could create bookmarked intervals between the start of the recording & the actual start(and end) of the programme and then these could be deleted, leaving just the programme. Adverts could also be cut out.

If you can do this with dvd-rw you must be able to create the code to do this.

Cyril

Novice Member
57. The moon on a stick. ;)
Almost all of these features have been available to me in SD for Freeview, Sky, Homechoice, NTL and Telewest for the last 7 years.

I usually expect technology to improve over 8 years :)

Sadly only 4 of the mentioned items seem to be on the cards from Sky soon.

I think they will catch up with an 8 year old TiVo in about 7 years time at this rate.

OuiOui

Novice Member
Some of these features are available from their equivalent operations in other countries. For example the US has access to extra storage via the external SATA port and Australia had Anytime before the UK.

So it's probably partly a question of when they bother getting round to it and partly a lack of real competition in the UK market imo.

If Tivo were a major and independent force in the UK I'm sure we'd have much better Sky+ functionality today either developed by NDS or because Sky would have paid up for the rights to use some of Tivo's patented technology.

As things stand, what incentive is there to motivate Sky to add functionality when it isn't necessary to beat off competitors and doesn't enhance their revenue opportunities?

Cyril

Novice Member
As things stand, what incentive is there to motivate Sky to add functionality when it isn't necessary to beat off competitors and doesn't enhance their revenue opportunities?

If they provided the advancements it would make me much happier to stick with Sky once a lot more movies and TV series become readily available and cheaper on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

So though the competition is very weak now, things should change.

Of course if Virgin get their act together it would give Sky more incentive to improve.

I for one would be happy to pay an extra £3000 (one-off) for TiVo functionality to be added to SkyHD, or an additional £15 per month sub.

Sky could charge more for TiVo-style functionality. This is roughly the situation in the USA. There you can buy a cheap but almost featureless HD DVR like Sky+HD or the SA 8300 (similar to Virgin's TVDrive), or buy a more expensive TiVo series3 HD PVR.

At the moment Sky can only squeeze about £100 per month max from each customer.
If they added TiVo they could get maybe £130 per month max and substantially reduce churn rate.

OuiOui

Novice Member
If they provided the advancements it would make me much happier to stick with Sky once a lot more movies and TV series become readily available and cheaper on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

So though the competition is very weak now, things should change.

Of course if Virgin get their act together it would give Sky more incentive to improve.

I for one would be happy to pay an extra £3000 (one-off) for TiVo functionality to be added to SkyHD, or an additional £15 per month sub.

Sky could charge more for TiVo-style functionality. This is roughly the situation in the USA. There you can buy a cheap but almost featureless HD DVR like Sky+HD or the SA 8300 (similar to Virgin's TVDrive), or buy a more expensive TiVo series3 HD PVR.

At the moment Sky can only squeeze about £100 per month max from each customer.
If they added TiVo they could get maybe £130 per month max and substantially reduce churn rate.
Personally I think Sky is competition for HD-DVD / Blu-Ray more than the other way round because if Sky is meeting viewing requirements then there’s less reason to go to the trouble/expense of getting extra equipment and going out to hire/return content. Or to put it another way, I think DVDs (HD or SD) are used for incremental rather than first stop viewing; it’s like the way speciality food shops don’t prevent people from doing their basic shopping at Tesco etc.

£3000 for TiVo functionality seems amazingly high to me: leaves me wondering whether you have a LOT more disposable income than me or whether you meant to type £300! I’d agree with £300 if that’s what you meant though.

On your final point I suspect the churn rate is more due to price / demand elasticity in the mid-range offerings: people who hesitate on whether to take 2 or 6 mixes etc rather than with people who have the full package and would be prepared to pay more for more features. At the moment it seems that Sky believe that their best chance of incremental revenue is by promoting multi-room and maybe VOD (which I suspect Anytime is training us towards) rather than additional software functionality.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett