1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ Freezing!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by SteveRSF, Jan 4, 2004.

1. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just when i'm in the programme guide just feezes for 30 seconds and i can't do anything with it ,can't even turn it off go back to what i was watching...............it's happened 3 times in 10 mins......any ideas?

It did happen about 3-4 weeks ago but it's been fine since.........up until today!

Something else on christmas day i recorded national lampoons christmas vacation.......then when we sat down to watch it for a good laugh...........we got third of the way through and the recording had stopped ......Bummer!

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    For what it's worth,my Sky box(not plus,that's coming)does this on a regular basis,and occasionally locks up completely,and then a cold restart usually does the job....have you tried this or doing a forced download on it to ensure the software is properly updated?

3. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I aint tried anything ...what do you suggest?.....don't want to break it.............what does a forced download actually do?:confused:

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Ok...no danger of damaging the box simply by turning it off and restarting it after a couple of minutes(basically rebooting it),and likewise,forcing it to download software won't damage it either...it's actuall supposed to receive downloads regularly via the satellite in any case.

I'd just try switching it off,then on again...works well when my one freezes.

5. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    K switched it off for about 4 mins,then plugged it back in and it wouldn't turn on, for about a minute............the light stayed red!.......................now it's on and working..............well spooky!

how is a forced download done then?.......just to make sure it's up to date!

6. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Switch on the satellite channel on your tv in the usual way.

Now place your Sky digital receiver into standby using your handset.

Switch the receiver off at the mains.

On the front of the digital box itself (not the handset) press the button marked ‘Backup’.

With the button still depressed turn the digital receiver back on at the mains.

Keeping the ‘Backup’ button depressed, wait for all the l.e.d’s on the front of the box to light up. A message may also appear on your tv screen. This may take up to 30 seconds but you must keep the button depressed all the time and only when all the l.e.d’s all light up should you release the button.

It will take about 10-15 minutes to upgrade the software and when complete the box will automatically go into the standby mode.

Wait about a minute and you will then be able to turn the receiver on again using the handset.