Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sky + freezing problem

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Andrewp369, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Andrewp369

Andrewp369

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having problems with the picture 'freezing' for a few seconds at a time when watching TV through the Sky+ box. I got an engineer to take a look when I had a freeze of about 6 hours on certain channels just before Xmas and although the problem has not re-occurred to that extent since, it still regularly freezes for a few seconds (about twice every night). Any ideas why this might be happening?? The box is under 12 months old so I will be reporting the fault to Sky again but I would like an idea of what the problem might be in case the engineer can't work it out for himself!

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Is this "live" programs or streamed off the hard drive or both?

3. Andrewp369

Andrewp369

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Well if it's both then one thing they have in common is the mpegII decoder which if for whatever reason is not performing at 100% the result is dropped frames.
    On a PC this would make the video being played stutter/jump which sounds similar to what you are experiencing on SKY+.

If there was a problem with the incoming signal either from the dish or off the hard drive you would be seeing audio and video breakup which is totally different from a frame freezing then restarting a couple of seconds later.