Sky + freeze

Turan Mirza

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Sky+ Pace (V2 I think - card slot on left, lights in middle).

I have not upgraded it (now 13mths old) but it intermitantly freezes during play - if I hit backup and go back in it will sometimes play at that point.

I've rebooted the system and done a 'house keeping' on it but the fault keeps coming back.

When it first started sometimes I would start to playback a recording and it would display the last thing that was on the screen before I went to the recording menu!

Is this a s/w issue?
Is there a fix?
Is there a list of of downloads and when they occured?

As an R&D engineer for 15 years to me this looks like a software fault.

Any help appreciated.

Hi Turan, how maddening that it gives problems a month out of guarantee.

Excuse me for mentioning it but I presume you remembered to remove the card and wipe it when rebooting. I have sometimes forgotten in the past and it wasn't so effective just to switch off the mains.

Regarding the downloads, I can't seem to find any list of download dates, I wanted to know that for myself. If you click on the following website you can do a forced download on your digibox. I havent tried it myself but it seems quite straightforward and might just help your problem. I have the Pace V2 myself for just 12 months so I am holding my breath now that it doesn't give me any grief! I hope you can get this fixed somehow. The website is interesting anyhow as it gives lots of info about Sky, including the latest news of what's happening with Sky.

http://www.satelliteonline.co.uk/forced.downloads.htm

my sky + did the same thing when it was about 12months old just out of warrenty i ran house keeping and this sorted the problem out for a couple of weeks but it returned. i then replaced the hard drive and now no priblems for months now.

I'll try wiping the card and see if it makes a difference, but it looks like I'll have to change the hard drive.

I've built several PC's so assume with all the links on this site I should not have a problem.

If anyone else has a similar problem please post here to log it for other that follow. I say that as I can't beleive it is a rare problem but have not found a too many similar reports.

Thanks to the above for the feedback.

Turan

Just reading the forced download link posted by Cynthia. Makes me wonder if the fash could have been corrupted? Unlikely as then all recording would suffer from the same problem.

Does anyone out there ever try a forced download to correct a problem?

Turan

I've just recently had the same problem of the screen freezing during playback. Very wierd. Just happens every now and again and not on all recordings.

Only way is to back up and start agian. Noticed that it does not remember when last viewed after it has crashed. Mine is out of warranty so may need to look at changing hard drive.

Just tried a planner rebuild. May have to try a full system reset and if that doesn'ty work will then look at changing drive.

If anyone does sort this problem out please let us know.

Thanks

I have the same problem. It started a couple of months ago about 2 months after the warranty expired. System resets and reformatting sky planner only work temporarily.

Sky have quoted £65 for a reconditioned box with a 3 month warranty, so I'm going to try replacing the HDD using an 80GB upgrade from Tempo Digital Media. Will let you know how I get on

Just to let you know that the upgrade kit arrived about week after I ordered it, complete with an anti-static wrist band and a special tool to open the case. The whole upgrade took me around 20 minutes, it fired up first time and has worked a treat for the last couple of weeks.

As this post has been ressurected I thought I would let you know that a hard drive replacement was required and this rectified the problem. I was thinking about an upgrade anyway and this forced me to do something about it.

Should have done it ages ago as the wife is now happy she can record numerous series of programmes and it only puts a small dent in the usage bar.

Got loads of advice from this forum and was a very simple task to undertake.

I too suffered this exact problem, random playback freezes, and then it loses the "last viewed" info so you have to guess what time it crashed to continue viewing where you left off!!

Mine started 4 days before warranty ran out, then i reported it to Sky and they had me doing the housekeeping and forcing software downlaods etc. This process took about 2 weeks cos i had to watch the programs I'd already recorded before i could do some of the housekeeping and lose all programs etc. Plus i had to keep testing it for a few days after the housekeeping to see if problem still existed. Nothing fixed it, so they told me to call the company who installed it eventually... by which time it was a few days out of warranty! So Sky wouldnt fix it, and neither would the installation company!! Nor would the manufacturer. VERY ANNOYING because the Sky+ records show my first report of the problem was whilst it was still in warranty! Eventually after hours of arguements with them all blaming eachother, I've given up and I'm searching for a freeview alternative to Sky+. I cannot bare the thought of paying Sky anymore money for such shocking customer service.

Out of interest, how much does a new Hard disk cost if I were to swap it out to fix my Sky+ problem??? Where would i get one from?

Thanks.

I too suffered this exact problem, random playback freezes, and then it loses the "last viewed" info so you have to guess what time it crashed to continue viewing where you left off!!
Me Too so i brought a
Maxtor 4R169LO 160GB from http://www.technoworld.com/

Fitted it and all the problems have gone its now running like a dream.

see my thread
Picture freezes on my sky + is it a HD problem??

Just for the record, I had the same problem did a full reset (not sure of the exact word but the one in the hidden setup) and for the moment we have a month without problem. if it happens again it will be a change of hard disk.

Oh what a surprise! mine has started freezing up during playback of recordings-just as the warranty has come to an end- this looks a bit fishy to me.:confused:
could sky actually screw your hd up with a software update?
maybe they would like people to upgrade to the 160gb?:devil:;)

update: I stuck a 160Gig disk in (£52) and it worked a treat. Quick installation and didnt even both connecting it to a PC first to change the accoustic settings... works fine so far and cant notice any difference in sound or heat.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom