Sky Freeview

nvingo

Distinguished Member
How many Sky receivers do you have, and how many different channels are you likely to need simultaneously?....Oh and do you have exclusive use of a Sky dish (ie. not communal/apartments)?

bigsquid

Standard Member
How many Sky receivers do you have, and how many different channels are you likely to need simultaneously?....Oh and do you have exclusive use of a Sky dish (ie. not communal/apartments)?

I was thinking off getting a second hand Sky box from ebay. All three rooms will need to be able to watch different channels and I do have exclusive use of my Sky dish.

lbear

Forgive me if I am wrong but from the sound of it you are trying to use a Freeview set top box with a signal from a satellite box. Do you also have a terrestrial aerial in the setup?

As a reminder

Freeview = marketing name for digital terrestrial DVB-T service through aerial
Freeview HD = marketing name for digital terrestrial DVB-T2 service

Freesat = Free to air satellite service through Freesat consortium using dish
"Freesat from Sky" = spoiler marketing from Sky satellite TV service to undermine Freesat sales

ciaran2506

All you need to do is run some satellite coax from the LNB on your dish to the room. Screw it into the Sky box, or if your using for free channels maybe freesat box and voila. You wont get your subscription channels though

bigsquid

Standard Member
Forgive me if I am wrong but from the sound of it you are trying to use a Freeview set top box with a signal from a satellite box. Do you also have a terrestrial aerial in the setup?

As a reminder

Freeview = marketing name for digital terrestrial DVB-T service through aerial
Freeview HD = marketing name for digital terrestrial DVB-T2 service

Freesat = Free to air satellite service through Freesat consortium using dish
"Freesat from Sky" = spoiler marketing from Sky satellite TV service to undermine Freesat sales

I have a terrestrial aerial also on the roof but the reception isn't great and freeview keeps freezing up. I use a Sky box in my bedroom for free to air channels that I used to use when I had a multiroom subscription.

fernandez

Distinguished Member
This should, of course, be in this section http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-sky/

Forgive me if I am wrong but from the sound of it you are trying to use a Freeview set top box with a signal from a satellite box.

Although the terminology is incorrect the OP says:

"I was wondering if I could put a Sky box in there just for freeview? Would I need to split the signal from one of the other Sky boxes? Is this the kind of thing I'd need?"
and
"I was thinking off getting a second hand Sky box from ebay. All three rooms will need to be able to watch different channels and I do have exclusive use of my Sky dish. "

Firstly each satellite box must have it's own separate feed from the dish/LNB - you cannot satisfactorily split a satellite feed in the way you can with an aerial.
The splitters you link to are for use with aerials and are useless with satellite.

All three Sky boxes if they have their own connection from the dish will be able to view separate free channels.
Your dis will need to have a quad (4 output) LNB
If, however, subscription channels are required then Multiroom is the only way at £10/month per additional box and all boxes connected to the same phone line

Last edited:

lbear

I was thinking off getting a second hand Sky box from ebay. All three rooms will need to be able to watch different channels and I do have exclusive use of my Sky dish.

Ah our posts crossed. You cannot do that by just splitting the lead. You may have a spare "LNB" to attach another cable to but you will need an extra one available for the new lead or rather replace a dual LNB with a quad like this one Sky Quad LNB - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

Basically your Sky (or a Freesat box) will send a signal to the "receiver" on your dish giving one of four settings (high or low frequeny band and horizontally or vertically polarised) A second tuner using the same lead, even split, would only receive the stations broadcast on the setting. That is why your Sky+ box has two leads - one for each tuner in the box. BTW, if you have two Sky+ boxes, you could use one of the four leads to feed the spare room but you would loose functionality on the box you take it from.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
Hi bigsquid since you already have two receivers you likely have a quad LNB so no point buying another (but check in case your existing one is a dual LNB in which case the item in your link is correct).
Easy enough to connect, provided you can reach the dish and make the cable run tidy. The F-connector plug screws onto the prepared end of the coax cable, then onto the LNB output. Exactly the same connections as are used on the back of the receivers.

lbear

Is it easy enough to connect satellite coax to the LNB?

My understanding (correct me if I am wrong guys) is that the installers should have taken leads from the LNB to a box and then a separate lead or pair of leads from that box to each of your two rooms. With luck, you may be able to just add a further run of lead onto the fourth lead in the box - you need F connectors to do this. These are the screw type connectors to the back of your Sky box and you may need a "double male" connector piece.

If you need to attach it to the LNB itself or replace the LNB with a qual unit, then you will have to get to the dish on the roof. If you have to do that, you may just as well replace your existing terrestrial aerial and leads. Your problem with the Freeview unit is most likely due to corrosion in the connectors to the existing one or deterioration of the co-axial cable from it. Do you know how strong the signal is you are supposed to be receiving currently?

bigsquid

Standard Member
Ok, so I have checked the dish and I have a quad LNB. Currently I have one Sky+HD box and one standard Sky box. The Sky+HD needs 2 cables but the standard Sky box has 2 cables running to it too(I remember the guy that installed it said he installed it up that way in case I ever upgraded to Sky+). Does this mean I can just use one of those cables to run round to the other bedroom for another standard Sky box? Would a freesat box have the same female connector from the coax cable to the box or does it need to be a Sky one?

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Ok, so I have checked the dish and I have a quad LNB. Currently I have one Sky+HD box and one standard Sky box. The Sky+HD needs 2 cables but the standard Sky box has 2 cables running to it too(I remember the guy that installed it said he installed it up that way in case I ever upgraded to Sky+). Does this mean I can just use one of those cables to run round to the other bedroom for another standard Sky box?

Yes you can.

lbear

Would a freesat box have the same female connector from the coax cable to the box or does it need to be a Sky one?

Yes it has - you can get "extension leads" but more normally the leads have male connectors at both ends and you need to get a "double female" joining piece.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom