Sky Freesat Questions

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by jezzer256, Apr 22, 2007.

1. jezzer256

jezzer256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Hi

Didn't quite know where to put this, hope this is the right forum.

I'm looking to upgrade to Sky Freesat soon, but I need a few questions answered before I take the plunge. At the moment I have just 4 channels, and I cannot get freeview in my area.

So:

1) Will the picture quality be better than the analogue 4 channels I'm getting at the moment?

2) Will I be able to connect the Sky box that comes with it to my Panny EX75, to record to its hard drive etc, and take advantage of it's upscaling feature?

3) Are there any other non-subscription options?

4) Is the box that comes with the Sky Freesat the same as the standard box you get when getting one of their subscription packages?

Thanks a lot guys!

Jez

2. js474

js474
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Jez,

Having just taken out the Freesat subscription I can answer some of your questions:

1/ Yes almost certainly - depends on the the quality of your TV though?! Also make sure that you use decent (Scart) leads to take full advantage

3/ No other options that I'm aware of

4/ Yes. I received a new curvy Amstrad box (but then bought a 2nd hand Sky+ box and installed it myself)

You've probably already looked into it, but in case you don't get offered it automatically, this is the deal I got:

Usual price £150 incl box, dish & install PLUS £20 for the card = £170

Offered: £120 incl box, dish, install AND card PLUS 2 Sky packages for a year. These can be cancelled after the year but they obviously hope you'll get hooked in the meantime...

Having now changed to Sky+, all I pay is a tenner a month.

Good luck!

James

3. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
  4. jezzer256

jezzer256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Cheers guys! I think I will get Sky to do it all for whatever price they offer, rather than doing it myself - I'm not much of a DIY man!

So if I ring up Sky & say I want to get freesat, d'you think they'll just offer that deal straight away or should I specifically ask for it?

Oh, and one more question, what video & audio outputs does the standard box that comes with the package have?

And can anyone answer my question 2?

Cheers!

Jezzer

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

The Freesatfromsky deal is a straight £150 installed but they may offer you a subscription deal with free hardware/install which may literally be only a few pounds difference and after the minimum 12 month contract you cancel and hey presto you have freesat:)

The STB is the same spec as everyone else gets so one RGB scart, one Composite scart, two RF outputs and twin audio phonos.

You can connect a SKY digibox to a DVDr just like a VHS and as for the Panna being able to upscale external video well it should tell you that in the manual but I doubt it but of course a HD display will scale any video regardless.