Sky Freesat questions please

MrMav11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Sky Freesat box you get says its a SkyHD box, is this recordable box, for pause, rewind as well etc, can you record programmes to it?

Does it have iPlayer, ITV player, 4OD etc catchup services?

Can you record on the Sky Freesat boxes? you get a SkyHD box it states, if so..

Can you watch one channel and record on another at the same time?

Does it have series link for recording episodes?

It states on the FAQ pages that from time to time, the Sky Freesat viewing card will change, and you have to buy it, this looks like its £25, do I have to pay this when they change, how often in general is this? as then its almost a subscription?

I'm thinking wether to leave my Virgin TV, and go free view, but need to have a recordable option. Sky looks decent deal at £175 inc install, inc box to keep etc, but need these answering first, sky freest website, and chat is rubbish with questions.

Last edited:
No it doesn't record unless you wish to pay £10ish per month to Sky.

Forget FreesatFromSky (unless you see you'll subscribing in the future I guess..) and get a Freesat PVR such as the Humax Foxsat HDR. It is 7 day EPG, series linking and twin tuners and offer iPlayer and ITV Player. Has no viewing card and no ongoing costs.

Sky is one thing, Freesat is another thing, FreeSatFromSky is another.
FS is the registered name of an organisation of which the one purpose is to provide a distinct Electronic Programme Guide for free satellite channels that pay to be included in it.
What you're asking about is FSFS which includes provision of Sky's EPG.
An installation of it includes a Sky HD receiver, not a recorder.
The machine does not provide any additional services.
It is possible to buy a Sky HD recorder and a FSFS card separately, then pay Sky the Sky+ charge of £10 a month.
Cards normally last for several years before renewal is necessary.
£175 is far too much to pay imho, and Freesat or some other free satelltie system might be a better option for you.
http://www.freesat.co.uk/

Last edited:
ah Sky Freesat is a no-no then, whats the point in having a nice recordable box, that you can't record on?!?

Thanks for the heads up, that option is out then. I definitely want a box that records, I'm not too bothered on it being Freesat, just I want to go the free view way, with recordable, iPlayer, red button, ITV player etc and might try a Netflix subscription instead

Sky Freesat IS a no-no, because it doesn't exist.:)
Not only is there no point in having a recordable box - you don't get one.:)
The machine that's supplied with a FSFS installation is as I said "a Sky HD receiver, not a recorder".
FreeView is yet another different thing - this time digital terrestrial TV, from an aerial, not a dish.
If you don't already have a dish then FV actually IS the way for you to go.
There is a wide choice of receivers that record, at a wide range of prices: Freeview / Home.
I don't know whether any of the machines do things like iPlayer, but of course Smart TVs do have them, and you can record to external disk from their FV tuners.
If you do have a dish, or plan to get one installed, then FS might be marginally better as it has more channels.
It's more likely to be the way to go with a dish than generic non-Freesat machines would be.
The small range of FS receivers do have extras such as iPlayer.

Last edited:
Hi SO I am now with Virgin and have 2 x Sky HD Boxes.

As we have no aerials in the house what do I need to do to use the 2 Sky HD Boxes as Freeview recievers in the 2 spare rooms ??

Thanks

Hi SO I am now with Virgin and have 2 x Sky HD Boxes.

As we have no aerials in the house what do I need to do to use the 2 Sky HD Boxes as Freeview recievers in the 2 spare rooms ??

Thanks

Nothing won't work, read the post above yours:

FreeView is yet another different thing - this time digital terrestrial TV, from an aerial, not a dish.

As we have no aerials in the house what do I need to do to use the 2 Sky HD Boxes as Freeview recievers in the 2 spare rooms ?
You will not be able to get Freeview (which is terrestrial service, via an an aerial) but what you can do is this: Install a satellite dish and run a coax from the LNB to each room. Without a Sky subscription but with your old Sky Viewing Card the Sky boxes will act as Freesat from Sky boxes. (If they have not been used for a while, the cards may take a day or so to "come alive".)

Remember they will NOT get Freeview but rather Freesat from Sky.

Last edited:
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom