SKY+ freesat for £20 but can i record still?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by beolab, Oct 31, 2005.

1. beolab

beolab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the equiptment SKY+ already installed (had it for years) but wish to cancel my SKY subscription. I read about FREESAT for £20 but will I be able to record still?

2. Jules1975

Jules1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, you would have to pay Sky £10 a month to use the record functions of the box.

3. Heinz

Heinz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The nerve of Sky! You have to pay £10 a month to use a piece of equipment which you own! Outrageous.

4. Jules1975

Jules1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's in the t&cs when you sign up.

5. fortean

fortean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    You have to pay £10 per month to use the Sky software to decode the data. The hard drive stores data not video. There's no point in you recording the data if you can't decode it. It's still your box but it's Skys software.

6. beolab

beolab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm disgusted with SKY. Not only will I have to pay £10 to be able to use record on my SKY+ you also have to have a package with Sky to continue having an active account before they will do it. Therefore the minimum it costs to be able to record with the equiptment i already own is £25 a month :mad:

7. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    it sucks, but you did sign up for it.....if you dont read terms and conditions thats your own fault......if you'd read them and decided that wasnt for you, then you could have just used Sky and bought a DVD recorder with HDD........unless you needed to use the other + facilities such as limited web access......

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

How do you think SKY will make money (their only reason for existing) if they don't charge for services beyond the basic channel subscription?
    The SKY+ hardware and the SKY+ service are two independent products/services, you may not like it but it's a fact.

I can't believe you were not aware of the SKY+ subscription since it's been a hot topic of debate since it's launch in 2001 and if you have "had it for years" then you were probably paying the £10 ontop of a channel sub in the past.
    Did you have SKY+ before September 2003?

You can have SKY+ and just pay the £10, no need for an additional channel package, many CS reps are unaware of this.

9. Jules1975

Jules1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is what I thought, you don't need a Sky viewing subscription, just need to pay £10 a month Sky + fee.

10. beolab

beolab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered SKY+ the day it was released and understood the £10 for recording. However I never understood that I would never be able to use it without the minimum package £15 + £10 to record =£25

My advise is to buy a DVR and SKY Digital otherwise you are held to ransom if you decide to cancel in the future. I dont watch sports channels and Blockbusters all you can watch for £15 a month is a much better deal for movies.

11. beolab

beolab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had SKY+ for years but will not be held ransom to price increases and poor service. The resent software faults and a new Dolby Digital cinema set up at home means I no longer find only 3 channels in DD acceptable and now Blockbusters are doing unlimited DVD rental for £15 a month (obviously in better quality on DVD than Sky) then its time to show my dissatifaction by cancelling. Is that my fault?

12. StuBFrost

StuBFrost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    If you subscribe to a channel and record a programme with sky+ and then cancel that channel you cannot view the recording.

Something else sky don't tell you about.

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Yeah, outrageous ! Just imagine what would happen if they started doing that with cars :rolleyes:

14. beolab

beolab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just spoke to Sky cancellations department and you CAN pay £10 a month only and watch and record FreeSat channels in my case with no change to my equiptment or viewing card.

However, they gave me 1/2 price subscription for 3 months to help me decide. :thumbsup: report back in 3 months :smashin:

15. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Well you don't need a channel subscription so the minimum price is £10 a month.

Personally the ease of use and fully integrated bitstream recording of SKY+ makes a seperate DVDR/Digibox combo look woefully inadequate even with the extra cost of the SKY solution.
    That's just me though and totally understand that it isn't everyones point of view:)

However no argument that the DVD market has made SKY's subscription and SBO movies look weaker than they have ever been, the rental solutions from BB and Amazon etc are good and of course a few pence to copy every single DVD you rent:)

16. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Yeah, always been possible just not widely known:)

SKY CS do tend to handle genuine cancellation or doubts with costs etc very well, it's in their best interests to retain customers, upto a point which is why we won't see standard prices drop.

17. fortean

fortean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    What Sky should really tell you is that you are paying to view a recording, not paying to record it. The same thing happens with Sky Box Office; you can record it but you only pay if you watch it.

18. MusikMad

MusikMad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a used box son brought back from uni after ending a flat share. The Sky subscription has expired (still has the card in though) and the box can only view Freesat channels. But I discovered that it still happily records and plays back the free to view channels. (It records but won't play back pay channels).

I wonder if this is exceptional and will it last? Can others with a Sky+ box and no sub try it out and give feedback here? If this 'feature' were permanent I'd consider investing in a 2nd LNB cable.

19. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

It could have been off during the reported 3 months that SKY send the kill commands so if it's working now it'll probably continue. Does it have a blue or white card, if it's blue then you might lose the service when those cards are no longer supported by SKY.

Way to drag up a thread:)

20. Tal71

Tal71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I thought the minimum cost for a Sky subscription was £15 per month?

If it is, then it will only be an extra £5 per month than what you would pay for to use the Sky+ features. Has far as I know, has long as you are subscribing to any Sky TV package then the Sky+ feature is free.

21. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Check the date of the post, one of the issues when someone restarts a long dead thread:)

The price for 1 MIX is not £18:eek:

22. Tal71

Tal71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    :blush: :oops:
    I am a newbie, so I am excused :)

23. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,701
    The above is the main reason to buy a twin tuner freesat pvr.