sky free to view/air cards

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by pea69, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pea69

pea69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have linked up my old sky box upstairs to the satellite dish to try and watch the free to view channels in the bedroom- as easier than getting new didgital aerial-

do i need a viewing sky card? if so how can i get one without going through ebay- as they may not work after a while...??

2. rigger2504

rigger2504
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    you'll be able to get the bbc channels without a viewing card but thats it. if you call sky they will send you a freesat card for a one off payment of £20, then you'll get most of the freeview channels though you wont get dave. hope this helps

3. pea69

pea69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have linked up the sky box but no channels- will getting a sky card work or is there something wrong with the wirirng from satellite?

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    Not having a viewing card wouldn't give no signals.
    The box may be faulty, you may have wired it incorrectly.
    Ist thing to do is to try it on a known good dish/lnb/downlead so if you have an existing installation downstairs remove the box and substitute it with the old one as a test.

5. rigger2504

rigger2504
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    sorry, if your getting no signal then a card wont make any difference. check to see if your box works down stairs if it doesnt then try doing a software download. pull out mains power, hold down backup button, put mains back in and keep pressing backup until software download appears on the screen. hope it helps

6. pea69

pea69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ked up the sky box from 1 of the spare outlets on the quad lnb that the sky guy fitted a few days ago- will the outlet need anything done to it to make it work? or does it sound like my wiring is not right?

7. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    No setting up required - merely plug and play. Have you checked the box on the other known working cable? If it works there the problem is either a faulty output on the lnb or most probably faulty connections on the cabling.

8. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    Just to correct this very misleading post.

Without a Freesatfromsky card you will get all the FTA channels - which is about 200 TV channels. Not just the BBC channels.

With a Freesatfromsky card, or an expired Sky card, you will also get the FTV channels, which currently numbers either five or six extra channels. Plus, your BBC and ITV channels will be for the local versions associated with your postcode, rather than the defaults of BBC London and ITV West Midlands.

This has nothing to do with Freeview channels - Freeview and Freesat are two completely different scenarios, and although a lot of channels are available, for free, on both platforms, there are many channels which are exclusive only to satellite (which as I said offers around 200 channels) and a handful which are exclusive to Freeview (which has around 40 channels).

9. rigger2504

rigger2504
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    it wasnt really misleading, his original post was asking about free channels he would get instead of paying for an aerial. i'm sure i doesnt care about 90% of the satalite free to air channels, i was just informing him of the channels he would actually want from sky freesat. ie1-5 etc that are of freeview but that he would get with a free sat card.i know freeview and freesat are completly different, as are bbc freesat and sky freesat

10. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    You're sure are you? Very nice for you. And where in his original post did he say he wasn't interested in 90% of the channels available to him? Why do channels 1 to 5 interest him but no others? If somebody only wanted channels 1 to 5, why would they even be interested in digital TV at the moment? Channels 1 to 5 are still available via analogue TV for the next three years. Surely it is the extra digital channels that people are interested in, whether they go down the Freesat or Freeview route?

Even if he was only interested in channels 1 to 5, the BBC only incorporates 40% of those. So the BBC channels certainly won't be all that he gets with a FTA Sky box will they?

11. rigger2504

rigger2504
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    firstly as he was considering an aerial then yes i'm sure. secondly depending on where he lives he may only be able to get 1-4 on analoge, thirdly i suggested a freesat card because with a sky box you would not get 3,4 or 5 without a card if you had read my post properly you would have seen that i said he would only get bbc channels without a card(i know you will get a few other fta channels but i'm not about to list a load of channels that most people arent interested in)

12. rigger2504

rigger2504
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    oh and i also put etc after 1-5 which to any normal person would imply there are other channel i just didnt feel on a formum like this i'd need to list them!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.