Sky+ Free Space after Upgrade

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by bulwer, Nov 4, 2005.

1. bulwer

bulwer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been covered loads of times - I've had a scan through a fair few threads and can't see it. I recently fitted a 200GB Maxtor disk I got as part of a kit from EBay so I know the disk is supported. After finally getting it working, it has been fine for a week. Then, last night, when it got to 2% free, it failed on a recording and says Disk Full. The yellow bar was nearly all the way across.

I've just performed a planner rebuild and the % is still showing as if it was a 40GB drive but the yellow bar seems about right now.

My question is, should it record past the 40GB limit from now on? I have read older posts that say that the yellow bar is the important one so I'm hoping it is now fixed. I will try it later but I don't want the earache again should it chew up Ricki Lake or Jerry Springer or whatever the hell it was trying to record last night! ;)

Cheers,

Dave

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    The disk reserves some space for instant rewind, so you'll never get it to 100%. My 200GB drive has never been higher than 70% - what are you doing, archiving Eastenders ? :D

3. bulwer

bulwer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was only 20 hours on there - both the % and bar were reflecting it still being a 40GB drive rather than the 200GB one it is. The rebuild still has the % showing 12% (we deleted a couple of shows) but the bar chart shows approx 20% used which would be right. I'm hoping it will record more than 20 hours now.

And no, no Eastenders. Just half the Living TV and Bad Movies output. Hence the new disk - I couldn't get near the damn thing before! :rolleyes:

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    Did you perform "housekeeping" on the drive before you used it ? (Housekeeping is often automatic if the drive is obviously unformatted). If you didn't, it's possible that the box still "thinks" that it's dealing with a 40GB drive.

Also, what version of box do you have ? Some early Pace V1's and Amstrad's don't work too well with big drives.

5. bulwer

bulwer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did the full system reset and the housekeeping only took a minute or so. I think it's a Pace V1 but is only just over a year old so shouldn't be an early one. I'm pretty sure that it will be OK now as the bar chart is right now - just wanted to check because I will get grief if it fails again! :)

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    A year old Pace V1 ? Don't think so :nono:

Take a look at the Systems menu - what is the operating system number (it begins 9F20xx) ?

7. bulwer

bulwer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's 9F2105 in the version number. The operating system is 1.31A0E

8. bulwer

bulwer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One other thing - I didn't turn off Instant Rewind when upgrading. Loads of searches have found that you are told to do this but no explaination of why. Could this have caused the problem?

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    It's possible that it may have caused a problem. Your operating system number should be able to cope with the bigger drive. If you don't have much stored on the disk, you could try doing "Housekeeping" again with instant rewind switched off. You will lose everything on the drive if you do this.

10. bulwer

bulwer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's on 18% free now and I've set it on a teleshopping channel to try and fill it up and see what happens. If it still plays up, I'll clear it down and do a reset with Rewind off.

Thanks for your help! :smashin:

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    No probs - let us know how you get on :)

12. bulwer

bulwer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still unable to get this to work. I have tried a reset but the housekeeping only lasts about 15 seconds. When I turn it back on and try and record something, the projected space it will take still reflects a 40GB drive rather than a 200GB drive. Can someone please let me know if there is anything else I can try?

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    Yes, there is, but you would need some software to do it, because you need to remove the existing partition on your drive. Partition Magic would probably do it, or good old-fashioned DOS 6.22 would also do it. Just delete all the partitioning information on the disk.

Oh, and before you do that - one last thought - the drive is set to "DS" on the jumpers, isn't it ?

14. wizbongre

wizbongre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    One other thing that did occur to me - you are 100% sure it is a 200Gb drive? I'd test it in a computer if that is possible (probably before trying Nick's suggestions.)

15. bulwer

bulwer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strange you should say that. I bought the kit from pluggedin.tv. They have instructions for the upgrade for the exact disk they supply. It shows one jumper in place to enable Cable Select. I did this but the box refused to turn on. I then checked the top of the drive and it showed two jumpers being needed for CS. Taking the jumper off the old drive enabled me to set it like this and it allowed the box to turn on.

So, according to the drive, it is set for CS. But according to the people who supplied it, it is set wrong. Looks like I'm going to have to have it apart again and have a play.

Thanks for your suggestions.

16. bulwer

bulwer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to say that I have fixed this now - and it was an issue with jumpers. Using the jumper configuration the drive suggests for CS doesn't work. Using just one jumper on the CS marked pins does work.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help.

17. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    No problem - glad you got it fixed. Some drives have an additional jumper which reduces the apparent drive capacity, which makes them compatible with older computers. You may have put this link in, which caused the drive to have a lower capacity.