• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky Football swearing censorship

KeanosMagicHat

This might have been discussed before, if so my apologies.

I've got the replay of the game between Bristol Rovers and West Ham on in the background on SSHD1.

After 70 mins of the game Bristol Rovers player Richard Walker gets booked and tells the referee exactly what he thinks of the decision.

First time I noticed it has been censored though with one of those blurry effects over his mouth which looks like someone's smeared vaseline over the screen.

Fair play to Sky what with it being a daytime audience n' all but I did find it amusing.

I wouldn't want them to start bleeping out the crowd noise though, that would be a step too far.

Starburst

Distinguished Member
I would encourage the FA to make the ref/linesmen mics open to the broadcaster, perhaps if the fans and public knew what was said it could move the game towards the more restrained yet equally intense rugby and cricket banter.

Starburst

Distinguished Member
Nice:)

I wonder if OFCOM received any complaints.

Martin J.

...perhaps if the fans and public knew what was said it could move the game towards the more restrained yet equally intense rugby and cricket banter.
Cricket banter is, on many occasions, filthy. All broadcasters have access to the stump microphones at cricket matches, but the ICC won't allow them to broadcast the output live for this very reason.

"Hey Warne, why are you so fat?"

"Because every time I f*&$ your wife, she gives me a biscuit."

Funny, but not really appropriate at tea-time. ;)

Starburst

Distinguished Member
Cricket banter is, on many occasions, filthy. All broadcasters have access to the stump microphones at cricket matches, but the ICC won't allow them to broadcast the output live for this very reason.

"Hey Warne, why are you so fat?"

"Because every time I f*&$ your wife, she gives me a biscuit."

Funny, but not really appropriate at tea-time. ;)

That really should be an interactive option (on all sports) and yet even with the more colourful language it's between players and not directed at the umpire unlike our national game in which I believe because the public don't hear the "conversation" it allows them to maintain a public profile for marketing purposes which is nothing to do with the real player.

It will never happen of course for the reasons you state and I believe there was even a call to ban the showing of any onscreen mass brawling/intimidation by players with eachother or at the ref in a footy game in some bizarre "good for the viewer/public" by idiots who run the country.

KeanosMagicHat

This thread's gone off at a bit of a tangent.

For the record I don't support any other form of censorship in football.

I can understand this blurring effect for daytime replays but don't see the need for any more than that, nor the need to clean up the language in the game.

The person in charge of that is the ref and if they are personally offended they have the power to dismiss the player.

winka45

I didnt see the said match, but it certainly wasnt censored when Jamie Caragher politley aksed to come off on Sataurday.

KeanosMagicHat

I didnt see the said match, but it certainly wasnt censored when Jamie Caragher politley aksed to come off on Sataurday.

Just to be clear, this wasn't on a live broadcast and I do not think they should start doing that.

It was when the game was replayed in full the next day.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom