1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Football on Plasmas - Help Needed

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Ade848, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Ade848

Ade848

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just ordered a Panny TH37PE50B. I have bought this screen primarily for having the mates over to watch the football, but all the posts abought blurry sports action on Sky I am just a little worried.

I am doing this on a budget of £1250 and its all I got (3 kids, mammoth mortgage and only one income - its taken my ages to convince the missus that I need a plasmaso no good advising me to invest in scalers etc. The question is do I just save my money for further down the line when I can afford more and prices are lower. I am going to be peeved if I spend the money and the footballs no good. I am more than happy to wait if the footballs no good but them Veiras do just look the business and I have read many a good review.

Panasonic owners and you kind experts, I await your judgement

2. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have been flicking through all the games tonight on ITV2, ITV, SS1 and SSX and I have to say that the PQ of the football on Sky Sports was fantastic on my PV500. ITV was good too but ITV2 was shocking, but that is down to the channel, not the TV.

I am happy with the PV500.

3. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Don't forget, the away games are recorded and broadcast by foreign channels, so in ITV2's case, the mighty Reds' game was broadcast in 4:3 and at quite a poor quality. Switching over to ITV, the Chelsea game looked 3 or 4 times better (in terms of picture quality, not football ;-)).

I've had my TH37PE50B for 4 days and it is improving and impressing more and more each day. What I would say though, is to make sure you budget a decent (£50 - 100) amount for cables as the difference is incredible.

Go on, splash the cash. If you're anything like me you'll be smiliing like it's all your christmas's at once when it arrives!

4. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi ive got panny pe37 and watched the hammers last night, and the pic quality was stunning, pitch motion very minimal and a great result to bang.
    sky has low and high bitrate channels so its not your panel its them.
    check out sky news, studio pics, they look like dvd quality on my panel.
    go ahead and buy your panel, itl be fine.

5. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Just to reasure you, I'm now watching Goldeneye on ITV2 and it looks pretty damned good - so am pretty sure it was the foreign broadcast...

6. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have the 42pd5200 and when I watch the footy on Sky the PQ is excellent IMO.

7. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,373
    Same here - UK filmed/based footie matches are fine (aslong as you're not too close to the screen). Away games such as The Mighty Reds destroying poor Real Betis last night was a little blurry but only when the camera shot is far away. Chelsea was far clearer..

It'll be fine, very happy with my new 37PE50

8. guypb

guypb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you'll find the technical term is SITCOM (Single Income Three Children Oppressive Mortgage) - I've been a member of that club for the last 3 yrs (rounded off with twins!).

Fortunately my missus is a huge football fan (though as a Bristol City season ticket holder she is no judge of quality (on the football front)). I am also looking for a Footy friendly Plasma - though HD would be good.

9. Ade848

Ade848

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Love It!!

Yeah HD would be good but cant see it within my budget for at least one year and I have got the urge now, just want to make sure the footy is going to be ok.