Sky Fibre slowing down to a crawl when 1 device is streaming or downloading.

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
I've had Sky fibre for just over a year now and it's to a cabinet that is 750m as the crow flies from my house. For the first year I was getting a good 36meg speed constant with no slowing down and everybody was happy.
About 2 months ago, the speed dropped suddenly to 22meg and has stayed there ever since - I phoned Sky about it and they can't explain why.
Over the past week, I've had a problem where if one person is streaming a film or downloading some content, it basically grinds to a halt - 2.2meg at best download but the upload stays at round about 6meg. most of the stuff is wired via hubs and my son has his PC connected upstairs via a homeplug. I was working yesterday and before I left at 6am, I started to download FIFA 16 on my XBox One - a 19gig download. This took about 3 hours to download in total but whilst it was downloading, nobody else could use the internet to any great effect...I have just phoned Sky about and all they did was try and sell me the movie package for Chjristmas so I hung up and am trying here...this hasn't happened before - I've had people watching netflix in HD downstairs whilst watching the WWE channel in HD upstairs whilst downloading a boxset on Sky - with no slow down at all.

I have recently introduced a new Amazon Fire TV 4K version onto the network and this seems to have started round about the same time...could the Fire TV be hogging all the bandwidth or is it something else?

MacrosTheBlack

Sounds like you need to do some troubleshooting to see whether it's a problem with your devices, the router or the sky connection.

My advice, disconnect or power off all internet devices in your house. Get a laptop or pc directly hard wired over ethernet to the Sky router and do a speedtest.net test. Then download a large file from a reliable site (say a disc image from microsoft) and check how fast it comes down and whether you can still surf ok as it downloads.

If that's all ok, introduce your other devices one by one continuing tests and see if an issue occurs.

How are all your devices connected? Any extra switches or wireless access points? Often poor placement of these can create issues. Can you draw a diagram showing the layout and connection of all hardwired devices, switches, homeplugs and router.

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that - I did some testing before I read your answer and this is what I found...If I disconnect my 2 hubs completly and run what I can wireless, the problem remains.
In my setup is a Sky 1tb box (non wireless version), XBox One, Mede8er 600XD, Amazon Fire TV (4K version) and a Samsung BD6500 Blu-ray player. The receiver is also connected and is a Denon AVR-X2200. The TV is a Samsung also - 48" 6400 series and is connected wirelessly but not used as a smart TV.
I normally have everything connected wired via a couple of 6 port gigabyte hubs run from 1 cable direct from the Sky hub. The hubs are these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...igabyte hub&qid=1447051505&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1 - and have been in for ages with no previous problems. Disconnecting those and connecting everything that can be wirelessly results in:
XBox - if I update or download something, a 20meg reading on Speedtest will slow down to between & 2meg. If I watch Netflix through the XBox, it slows down to about 5-6 meg.

Amazon Fire TV - watch anything then the internet slows on Speedtest to 1-2 meg.

I am thinking that the problem is either the router or the fact that I have new neighbours next door who are also on Sky Fibre and the engineer has done something naughty to cut a corner when he installed their fibre. My previous neighbours - who moved out in July - had BT fibre and I had no problems at all.

I managed to speak to somebody at Sky yesterday who kind of wanted to help rather than sell me the movies package and there's an Openreach guy coming out tomorrow - I've a feeling that unless the problem is outside - ie - NOT the router, then he'll not be able to help but we live in hope...

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
I am thinking that the problem is either the router or the fact that I have new neighbours next door who are also on Sky Fibre and the engineer has done something naughty to cut a corner when he installed their fibre. My previous neighbours - who moved out in July - had BT fibre and I had no problems at all.
Doesn't work that way. It's a single pair of wires from your house to the cabinet for each household and the same pair that was providing BT fibre for the previous owners will be providing Sky to the new ones.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom