Sky Fibre or BT Infinity? Both offering different speeds?

kaspanova

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Was looking for some advice on Fibre Optic. (FTTC) This has only become available to me since the end of June and I been checking around.

I'm getting conflicting results from SKY and BT Speeds I can get, so this is hindering my package choice, I want to be in the fastest package for my speed, but as you can understand, I don't want to pay for something I'll never get.

Sky Fibre Unlimited

40.0 - 40.0 Mbps
Estimated Access Line Speed

BT Infinity

Superfast fibre optic broadband
51.5Mb download
13.2Mb upload

-------
How would I know what one is the real speed?

Also, what provider would you suggest, SKY or BT?

Many thanks in advance ;)

Hi Kaspanova,

The BT Infinity product has recently been updated to offer up to 80/20 Mb service, many of the other BT Wholesale providers are offering the original unto 40/10Mb service. So I would suggest the BT estimate is accurate whereas Sky are just quoting the maximum speed they can offer and would not trust this figure.

Normally you pay a premium rental if you want the higher upload speed as previously the residential products were up to 2Mb on upload speed which is normally fine for your average user.

I use and recommend Plusnet FTTC, I've had it around 9 months and think it is great. My average DL speed is 37.5Mb and UL is 1.7Mb. I pay £21.50 per month for a 120GB usage cap and the nearest i have got to this in any particular month is 65GB.

Monthly cost with Plusnet for this is £21.50 per month and you get a discount for each referral you give that is applied each month for as long as your referral remains a customer. Depending on the product your referral takes this can be a further reduction of 25 to 75p per month for each referral. If you do go Plusnet feel free to use my username, BigAl217, as someone who referred you :thumbsup:

I don't think you can get the premium upload on Plusnet so if you need this it won't be for you. Plusnet are also owned by BT and a way they provide there FTTC product at a low price but without the BT name attached to it, a bit like GiffGaff Mobile which is owned by o2 IIRC.

Anyway good luck I haven't looked back since changing from my creaky 4.5Mb dl ADSL2+ service.

Alan

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom