Sky Fibre - not getting predicted speeds

trumps

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So I got 40mb Fibre installed.

When quoted, they gave my estimated line speed at 40mb–40mb - ie they then said that they had no reason to expect any less as my line is capable of the full 80 that you can get with Fibre Pro.

The BT Openreach engineer that installed it, said using his test equipment that the reading was accurate and to expect full 40mb download.

I'm getting about 25mb. What's the dealio people in the know?!

I'm getting about 25mb. What's the dealio people in the know?!

Over what type of connection ?
Wired , Wireless , via homeplugs ?

Wired, and via the wireless N router to my 'n' imac. No g/b devices on network so N should be the working norm.

a) What does the modem report as it's connected speed?

b) How are you testing your download speed? (II speedtest.net, try a closer sever)

speedtest.net

modem reports as 39,999 … so full boona!

So if your modem is reporting 39,999 then that's your connection speed?

Wirelessly I get a max reported download speed of around 27Mbps. Hard wired, the same test gives 37.6Mbps.

The only really accurate download speed measurement is obtained by downloading a large file such as those offered on thinkbroadband.com.

Your issue is a slow throughput speed if it is syncing at the full speed but you can't download at it. The engineer should never have said you should get the full speed at all. Just because you sync at 40 does not mean your throughput will be 40. Thats entirely down to other factors.

Hmmm. Bit miffed as I was getting 18 on unlimited so it's not much of an upgrade for the money.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom