Sky Fibre Max Slower than Standard

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Sky kindly upgraded me from standard fibre to Sky Fibre Max two weeks ago and my download speed went from 36mbs to 49mbs. However Sky guaratee 54mbs, although they dont say thats throughput..... so I called them to point out their diags were advising me to call. And also my download was varying form 18mbs to 51mbs.

Now my speed, testing with Ookla and Broadband UK testers shows 18mbs download and 17mbs upload. Thats testing with a laptop and ethernet cable directly into the spare modem I had.

I will call Sky back tomorrow but they kept quoting that I was getting 56mbs to the modem. Interestingly the modem stats say the download is ALWAYS 56173kbs, 56mbs. Never moves never changes so I doubt their figures are anything more than a standard response. I think the problem may be between the Sky equipment in the local exchange and BT. The test may well show I am "getting" 56mbs between their kit and my modem but I am not getting 56mbs throughput. I assume they ping my modem from their kit in the exchange which proves nothing other than their connection is OK and not the overall connection.

Is that a fair assumption ?

I

If the sync speed is correct then it's more likely the problem is your end.

You say you're testing with a 'spare' modem so what's the story behind that. Where's the normal one, and where is the one they sent you if different?

How are you testing download speed?
A real website may not keep up with your download speed, in fact I get this with 10M ADSL.

The spare modem is a new, unused SR102. I have run Wireshark, ookla. and Broadband UK Speedtest. All showed 19mbs direct from the test socket. If it was my end this would have changed something. The speed has varied as well so not exactly as consistent as Sky claim. This morning it was back up again to 50mbs with the original setup. I used to be a Network engineer so have a grasp of this.

Before the upgrade to Max I had no issues. Nice solid 36mbs. I suspect a problem further down the infrastructure between BT and the Sky kit in the exchange as it’s unbundled. Sure Sky see 56 to my modem but that’s from the exchange Sky kit to my modem. Doesn’t take into account real world internet access.

I’ve changed everything in my house and nothing changed. Plenty of evidence in forums about Sky max issues and Sky’s stubborn approach

Contention at the exchange?

Possibly even though it’s a small exchange. That could be the reason. Not sure how many devices Sky have . Running wireshark tells me that Internet speed at modem is 50 mbs yet modem stats show 56mbs. Interesting that the only time I’ve had a problem with Sky fibre is since they upgraded me. I sense a long drawn out debate with Sky

I wouldn't worry about the 50/56 difference. It is possible that the modem is just checking the link to the cabinet.

Indeed Troll.

I turned off my VPV and it went up 1 mbs. I don’t mind the 6 mbs difference. Can’t complain really, other than Sky telling me speed is below minimum and to contact them. I do get annoyed that they just say “56mbs is what you’re getting “which saves them having to refund, when I’m not getting it

We recently had this and had an engineer out tomorrow.

Had to factory reset the router, turn off the 2.4 channel from the Sky Q Box which was clashing with the router, speed went from 20mbs to 60mbs instantly and we have hard wired the PS4 to the Sky Q box and out CCTV to the Sky Q Mini box in the bedroom so that its not over wireless.

Has been all ok so far. Sky also refunded a months internet and didn't charge the call out fee.

Following a change in Ofcom guidelines, which comes into effect Feb 2020, Sky are now basing their speed estimates on throughput of your router rather than speed at point of entry to your house. They also have a fixed timescale of 30 days to resolve speed issues, after which you can leave without penalty.

Also, they released a new router (4.2) a month or so back which guarantees wifi of at least 3.5mb/s in every room in your home. Currently they have this as part of an extra bundle called 'Boost' which does a few other things, and costs £5/mo.

I am so sick of slow internet with sky fibre max when my contract ends in May I am getting rid of sky, I am hoping 3,s 5G internet will be available in my part of London by then. Went from Virgin because of their sky high charges and too many to count outages then went to sky what worked well at the start but now it's slow often showing only 30mbps. I got sky very cheap but cheap is no good if it doesn't work well.

Following a change in Ofcom guidelines, which comes into effect Feb 2020, Sky are now basing their speed estimates on throughput of your router rather than speed at point of entry to your house. They also have a fixed timescale of 30 days to resolve speed issues, after which you can leave without penalty.

Also, they released a new router (4.2) a month or so back which guarantees wifi of at least 3.5mb/s in every room in your home. Currently they have this as part of an extra bundle called 'Boost' which does a few other things, and costs £5/mo.

3.5 MBPS is unusable and they charge you £5 per month extra

The way that broadband speed used to be sold was with a ‘up to’ figure, whereas now it is based on an average speed and a guaranteed minimum. These are all using the sync speed into your ISP’s router. This is not changing as far as I am aware.

WiFi guarantee which forms part of the boost package offers WiFi in every room with a minimum speed of 3Mbps. This figure was chosen as it’s the minimum requirement to stream Netflix in SD. The figure is lower than BT’s minimum of 10Mbps in their equivalent package, but unlike BT Sky also offer the Boost / WiFi Guarantee package to ADSL customers.
Anyone with a decent fibre BB should have proportionate minimum download speeds in all rooms, environmental factors depending.

To the OP, if the speed to your devices falls a significant margin from the router sync speed over hard wired connection then, assuming we can rule out no issues with your own equipment then there could be an issue with the fibre port in the the PCP (roadside cabinet) or a card issue at the exchange.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom