Quantcast

Sky Fibre - Future speed upgrades

sukhy5

Just moved from Virgin Broadband 200mb to Sky Fibre 80mb (due to being cheaper and Sky Q compatibility). I’m quite happy with it so far especially with the wireless coverage around the house.

What I wanted to glean was, does anyone think Sky will be upgrading their speeds in the future? That was one of the things that I appreciated Virgin was doing for its customers (every so often).

But to reiterate, I’m a happy customer.

enigma1701

Just moved from Virgin Broadband 200mb to Sky Fibre 80mb (due to being cheaper and Sky Q compatibility). I’m quite happy with it so far especially with the wireless coverage around the house.

What I wanted to glean was, does anyone think Sky will be upgrading their speeds in the future? That was one of the things that I appreciated Virgin was doing for its customers (every so often).

But to reiterate, I’m a happy customer.
I don't think they can, 80 is at the top end of the speeds from cabinets.

ChuckMountain

What I wanted to glean was, does anyone think Sky will be upgrading their speeds in the future?
The answer will of course be yes, well probably ;)

The question is what technology will it use.

1) VDSL is limited to 76Mbps in its current incarnation
2) G.Fast could get to 330Mbps over existing copper with Openreach plans but there is some discussion on that rollout. Also as its copper the distance of your cable makes a big difference, in some cases VDSL would be quicker.
3) FTTP - Fibre to the property - consistent speeds that could be upped from whatever they are set. Challenge is installing it to everybody.

Sky have to piggyback on Openreach or another platform so its whatever happens there first.

bubs999

I was also curious about this, as I've just moved house and my speed is now half what it was (currently maxed at 20), yet I'm paying the same monthly amount.
Virgin isn't available, so I'm limited to the BT phone line and currently with Sky broadband.

Downside is, I'm 2km away from the exchange.

ChuckMountain

For Fttc it's the distance from the green cabinet in the street that matters. At 20Mbps you are quite far from that so g.fast is unlikely to help you :(

wormvortex

G.Fast is only good for less than 400M from the DSLAM and at that distance it will only run at 100Mbps which is only 20Mbps more than VDSL will run at that distance Sky are currently beginning to trial FTTP bu I'd imagine it would be a while before they were to roll it out to the public as the FTTP footprint is tiny currently.

D4nM1les

I had a letter in the post yesterday to say that they are upping my speed over Christmas from a max of 36 to a max of 72.

No mention of cost... did anyone else receive the same letter?

magoo1

Novice Member
I had a letter in the post yesterday to say that they are upping my speed over Christmas from a max of 36 to a max of 72.

No mention of cost... did anyone else receive the same letter?
I just got an email from sky saying that they are upgrading me to Fibre Max at some point in the next six months and that it will be AT NO EXTRA COST!!!!!

Lee

I just got an email from sky saying that they are upgrading me to Fibre Max at some point in the next six months and that it will be AT NO EXTRA COST!!!!!
I've had the same email. Wondering why, I've had a look around and Talk Talk have a speed boost offer at a good price so that might be the reason.

magoo1

Novice Member
I've had the same email. Wondering why, I've had a look around and Talk Talk have a speed boost offer at a good price so that might be the reason.
Had a quick look at Sky's website and it would seem that Fibre Max is now the only available fibre option.

_Dragon_

Mine was done last week was getting 38Mbps now getting 75 Mbps, it maybe a free upgrade but you know they will eventually bump the price up.

Last edited:

Russ_64

Mine was done last week was getting 38Mbps now getting 75 Mbps, it maybe a free upgrade but you know they will eventually bump the price up.
What are you paying for Standard Fiber or Fiber Max? Do you have capped downloads?
Seems that Max is Unlimited but speed is about the same - I get 72/18. I am paying £30 (+£2 from April).

_Dragon_

What are you paying for Standard Fiber or Fiber Max? Do you have capped downloads?
Seems that Max is Unlimited but speed is about the same - I get 72/18. I am paying £30 (+£2 from April).
I'm still paying £20 £2 increase from April nothing is capped.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
i believe sky is moving to 145 meg ultrafast