Sky Fiber weak signal

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by topping1981, Sep 12, 2017.

1. topping1981

topping1981
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have recently got sky fiber broadband installed. The problem that i have as follows:

1. Only 2 ethernet ports? What type of ethernet switch do i require to use with finer?

2. I have a room at the back of the house that the wireless signal is poor to use with phones/tablets etc. I have cat5e cables ran through the house to connect to tvs etc but can I connect something to the router via cat5e cables to back room to boost or repeat signal. Do i use a booster or another router?

Many thanks

2. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,549
    How the internet is delivered doesn't change what you require to distribute it around the house. Fibre to the home or premises includes and NTD and at that point you have one or more connections for a network cable. Usually only one socket at the NTD has one service. Where the fibre is from one provider and no other provider can offer a service on it the tD may only have one connection socket. In any case the connection with the service can be used by one PC by opening a PPPoE session or the one cable is fed into a router. No modem just a WAN socket on a router. The router provides IP addresses to each device connected (the NTD can't and neither can a simple switch). From the router you connect devices either by cable or wireless. Any one cable
    Outlet on a router can have a switch plugged in and the switch can have multiple ports. The cables are led where you want them. A router will have a maximum number of devices it can support (can provide IP addresses) wired and wireless. if you have weak wireless to any pet of your house you can choose the way to connect that suits you and the house. Best is to run cable to the place you need the connection. Or run the cable close to where you want and plug in access point mode wireless router. That wireless connection will then be given IP addresses by the first router and this usually causes least hassles. Or add a wireless extender closer to where you want.

So for 1 - there is no special switch for fibre. A router takes the connection and shares it around the house both wired and wireless. Switches split and add connections but do
    Not provide IP addresses.

For 2 presumably your network cables are connected to a router or similar already and that is connected to the NTD. In the room with weak wireless you have a wired connection. Add a switch for multiple wired connections or the wireless access point as above if you want wireless in that room or area.