Sky feed to another room

rickinyorkshire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

I'm after some advice on connecting my sky+HD box to my TV in our bedroom. In my loft there is an aerial booster box that has both VHF and UHF inputs and 4 outputs. Currently there is the TV aerial from the roof connected to the VHF input and co-ax cable connected to my bedroom TV so that works OK for Freeview.

There is cable running from the living room to the loft which they were using for outputting the TV signal to the living room TV. So on the end of the cable is an input connector. What I want to do in theory is put an output connector on this cable and connect to Sky+HD box so then the TV in my bedroom is receiving Sky instead.

Will VHF or UHF work as the input on the aerial booster box as I know sky+HD box says RF output.

Hope you understand this :)

Thanks.

Try it!
Put the plug at one end into the Sky machine's RF2 Out socket and at the other end into the distributor's UHF In socket. Set a programme number on the extension TV's analogue tuner to channel 68. If it works you can use a Y-combiner to put both that cable and the aerial cable into the distributor's socket.

Last edited:
The loft end of cable connector is one that screws into the booster box. I need to purchase an output connector for the other end of cable in living room first. What I'm wondering is whether the VHF or UHF inputs on the booster box will take the RF feed from sky box?

UHF is the input you want for the Sky box RF output. VHF is for FM radio, and won't provide much boost for TV signals.

Last edited:
OK, let's stop faffing about:-

Currently there is the TV aerial from the roof connected to the VHF input and co-ax cable connected to my bedroom TV so that works OK for Freeview.

As has been said before, UK terrestrial TV is now, (has been for 30+yrs), UHF only. Your aerial should be going into the UHF input.

...so then the TV in my bedroom is receiving Sky instead.

Do you really mean instead, or as well?

If "instead" you need to plug the cable from the lounge into the UHF input socket on the booster. If "as well" you need to combine the signals from the lounge cable and terrestrial aerial and then input this combined signal into the input of the booster.

I'll prob pick this up from Argos this evening:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...uctInformation

This is a new "requirement" for which your existing booster is probably not up to scratch. You will need a distributor with DC pass through.

OK, let's stop faffing about:-

As has been said before, UK terrestrial TV is now, (has been for 30+yrs), UHF only. Your aerial should be going into the UHF input.

Do you really mean instead, or as well?

If "instead" you need to plug the cable from the lounge into the UHF input socket on the booster. If "as well" you need to combine the signals from the lounge cable and terrestrial aerial and then input this combined signal into the input of the booster.

This is a new "requirement" for which your existing booster is probably not up to scratch. You will need a distributor with DC pass through.

I do mean 'as well' :)

I'm glad I now know UHF is the standard, thanks.

Hmm so the magic eye might not work through the booster box? That's a crying shame..

I need to purchase an output connector for the other end of cable in living room first. What I'm wondering is whether the VHF or UHF inputs on the booster box will take the RF feed from sky box?
As that cable is currently for aerial to TV it should have a push-in plug, and the RF2 Out socket of the Sky machine is also the push-in type, so that end shouldn't need changing. We've established that it's UHF.

I need to purchase an output connector for the other end of cable in living room first. What I'm wondering is whether the VHF or UHF inputs on the booster box will take the RF feed from sky box?
As that cable is currently for aerial to TV it should have a push-in plug, and the RF2 Out socket of the Sky machine is also the push-in type, so that end shouldn't need changing. We've established that it's UHF.
I suggested that OP should begin with the first method, taking out the connection from the aerial and replacing it with the one from Sky RF2 Out. If that worked "use a Y-combiner to put both that cable and the aerial cable into the distributor's socket".

Got this up and running, took a bit of messing with connectors but got there in the end. The Magic Eye is also working, even through a booster box in the loft :smashin: #winning

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom