Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sky + fan runs all the time

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by paiger, Jul 1, 2003.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a second hand Pace 3100 and the fan runs all the time. I don't need the PVR functions, just 5.1 audio so I pulled the HDD out of it (added benefit of stopping the silly lights on the front. The box works OK but the fan starts from cold and it's reasonably noisy. There is no way the box is too hot as I have just put it back in the rack.

Does anyone know where the heat sensor is? Do I need the fan if no hard drive is fitted?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Perhaps the previous owner wired the fan to run all the time, maybe upgraded the HD of it was in a poorly ventilated area.
    Never opened mine so can't say what goes where but without a HD (Main source of heat) a fan is totally pointless so just disconnect it.

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HDD was a 40gb Maxtor. It was red hot when I opened the box after about 3 hours of running! I reckon this was a faulty box that somehow got shifted out into the market as they couldn't get the fan to stop! Got it cheap anyway so not fussed, in fact made £70 profit from selling my Sony box!

I disconnected the fan and it seems fine, gets less hot than the Sony as it's better vented and a bigger case. I will have to accept that I will never be able to use it as a full Sky+ box without constant noise but I only wanted it to get 5.1 from Premier.

Mission accomplished, a free 40Gb HDD and a few quid for a curry and a San Miguel (or 11).