1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ Fan running all the Time?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by bazzae123, Oct 27, 2003.

1. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This "Fan" thing,

Should it be on all the time. I came down this morning and to my annoyance the fan had started up again. Surly the box is intelligent enough to be able to switch it in and out when required. Obviously the fan had started during the night when the box was in standby and drawing hardly any current so there shouldn't have been any need for a Fan to kick in. I phoned Sky and the Tech boys said YES the fan should run all the time. If that's the case the box will have to go back. I know for one the miss's wont put up with the constant drown.
    Any advice before I un-plug it and take it back.

Bazza

2. Bish

Bish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    My friends and I all shared the same problem when sky+ was originally installed by the sky man....seems the box needs to be rebooted by pulling out the mains plug for 10 secs or so, it then switches back on minus the fan, and will then only cut in or out when it needs to - its worked for us anyway!

ps - i did spot a thread on here a while back, and i think its an official problem with the version2 pace boxes, the fan seems to come on to full power when the box is first switched on..strange

3. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks M8,

I tried that but the Fan just comes back after a couple of minutes or so and stays on, even in standby mode.

Bazza

4. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The fan on mine stays on all the time. I've also heard that if I power it down then it may start to work correctly, but it's so quiet that I'm quite happy for it to be on permanently.

Perhaps I've caused permanent damage to my hearing.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

SKY+ draws to all intents and purposes the same amount of power in standby as it does in full operation.
    If the fan is running continuously then the internals are overheating and the fan is doing what it is supposed to.

6. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Starburst,

Funny thing is I did another re-boot and the fan stopped and hasn't started since. Before that I did do another re-boot to see if the hard drive would stop running and the fan started as soon as the box came out of re-boot so it would appear that this "Fan" running would appear to be hit or miss. Even when the fan was running I felt the box all over and it appeared to be quite cold to the touch. Anyway, its all quiet on the Sky+ front for now anyway. Lets hope it stays that way. I'm going through a major upgrade at present with new TV and all that so the wife's having a field day with the usual remarks like "I don't like the colour of that" and " your not having that are you" and so on so a humming noise in the back ground will really please her.

By the way, the people at Sky Tech say the Fan should be running all the time so on that basis my box is faulty as it doesn't.

Anyway, thanks for the feed back its much appreciated.

Bazza

7. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The fan should definately not run all the time. Some people mistake the whirr of the hard drive for the fan. You need to feel for air movement from the fan port on the back of the box.

Either way, a reboot should cure it and if not then your box is not adequately ventilated or it is faulty. The fan never comes on in mine since I did a reboot for this problem. I think if it did I'd pull the top of the box off and disconect it.

8. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The fan just came on after about 4 hours in standby mode. The box is sitting on top of a Video recorder which does fill warm to the touch. I'l see if the fan goes off after a while. If not I may move the box around so its not recieving warm air form the video.

Bazza