1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ fan noise

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by lloydde, Nov 25, 2003.

1. lloydde

lloydde
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had sky+ for several days but only just noticed that there is a continuous fan noise - only noticeable when the room is relatively quiet but I have never heard such a loud fan noise from any AV item. Has any one else got anyviews on this. Should the fan be on all the time even when Sky+ is on standby? Any help appreciated.

2. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +376
    The sky+ box is very susceptible to poor airflow ... it needs plenty of space at the sides and the back so the fan can draw air in and expel it ... if ventilated properly it won't run too hot and the fan won't be on all the time ...

Jon

3. db1234

db1234
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had sky+ installed last week, Fan was on continuously for about 2 days. I then turned the box off at the mains and when it rebooted the fan was no longer going. The fan has not come on since, box does get warm particulary underneath.

I rang sky to query this strange behaviour and they said it was normal for the fan to initially run for up to 36 hours, it should then shut off and run only when the box temp goes above 55 degree's.

Find their explanation a bit hard to believe but I guess I have no other chice than to accept it as fact.

Cheers,

Darren

4. lloydde

lloydde
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks - as predicted the fan has now stopped - Cheers